Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: is it weird?  (Read 946 times)

Endeavour

is it weird?
« on: March 07, 2018, 07:29:59 am »

That even though I adore my family, and like most parents think their little kids are the cutest things ever - I never photograph them?

Other than with my smartphone, I've never felt the urge to setup a home shoot with them and capture those adorable shots of babies or toddlers which so many other photographers love to take

am I weird?

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
Re: is it weird?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 07:39:14 am »

That even though I adore my family, and like most parents think their little kids are the cutest things ever - I never photograph them?

Other than with my smartphone, I've never felt the urge to setup a home shoot with them and capture those adorable shots of babies or toddlers which so many other photographers love to take

am I weird?
No. Same here. I dislike posed photos of people. I enjoy candid photos and I have a ton of my family looking and behaving like themselves.

My son at 12 in 2006. Very him...
Peter

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 08:32:34 am »

am I weird?

If you are, then so am I.

FWIW: change your mind. I always thought there was no point; I always felt that it was good enough having the people. Have you stopped to consider what happens if you lose those people?

All I have of my wife is a honeymoon portrait which is a huge crop from a small tranny; a shot with her and our son on a movie set and a print cut from her old International Driving Licence. I have no negatives.

Take not life for granted.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 09:09:09 am »

I beg to differ.

I used to hardly ever take portraits until my daughter was born.

But that has changed dramatically in the past 5 years. I don't take many images in the studio, but I use the top equipment and attention to photograph her throughout her various activities.

The link below shows some of these:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/albums/72157647863351635

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 06:11:35 pm by BernardLanguillier »

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 09:40:10 am »

With one exception I agree with the OP, Peter, and Rob. There were several-years in the sixties where once a year I'd get my four sons actually dressed more or less properly, get 'em into the living room (at that time in a lovely house we rented from Colorado College), get out the 4 x 5 view camera and shoot this picture. Here's a member of the series. I can look at these pictures and see my sons grow. I also can see the plant in the background grow until it reached the ceiling and we had to move it out. A couple years ago my youngest (the one camera right) shot the four of them using green screen, then dubbed in the background from one of these old shots. It's a hoot.

Of course, like most people I have some tourist pictures that include some of the family, and I also do some tight head shots for groups here in my retirement community, but in general I steer away from any kind of posed picture. I much prefer real street.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 10:10:30 am by RSL »
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.
Pages: [1]   Go Up