Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Things to do in England  (Read 4085 times)

Rob C

Re: Things to do in England
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2018, 08:59:03 am »

I think it's easy to overestimate the difficulty of driving on the other side of the road. The main problem I encountered was estimating the distance to the kerb.

I took our Spanish car (LHD) over to Britain many times, and contrary to my expectations, the driving problem was not cities and passing buses, it was tight rural roads in Scotland. It's quite an existential thrill watching a huge timber truck come thundering towards you on what starts to feel like a path. I was convinced that I was driving up on the left-hand kerb, but as it consisted of boulders, I guess it was just an illusion.

Cities anywhere, unless you already know where the hell you are going, are a nightmare: knowing which lane to choose several hundred yards away can be difficult, despite signs. Trafiic isn't usually inclined to be gentle and giving, unless you have an L plate... now there's an idea!

Weather is most likely to be the problem numero uno. I lived in Glasgow for about thirty years and saw Loch Lomond in sunshine twice - thrice at the most. To be fair, I wasn't there every day, but you get the picture.

The Trossachs, mountains/hills north of Glasgow, were beautiful on rainy days: we selected such conditions to guarantee us a parking place where we could enjoy a picnic in peace.

I have never used satellite navigation; I don't think we'd get along very well.

Rob

Dave Rosser

• My Website
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2018, 10:26:14 am »

I have never used satellite navigation; I don't think we'd get along very well.

Rob
Tom-Tom does tend to take you down some "adventurous" roads to shave a few seconds off your journey times.  :o

athegn

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2018, 01:18:55 pm »

My satnav stopped updating last year so I switched to Google Maps  on my smartphone. I need to find obscure places in the English countryside e.g. churches in small hamlets or even isolated, lay-bys or odd bits of lanes to park and then walk from; hopefully returning to the same spot later.

Google maps has been very successful for the last six months; providing I download the destination whilst I have a signal (signals wifi/3G/4G are very often absent outside towns/cities where most of my walking is done). Only time I had difficulty was when I forgot to download and had to use my map reading skills to get to a recognisable spot. I normally look at Google Maps/Street View before setting off to get an idea of what I will find at the destination.

Yesterday I went to a country park where the obvious entrance was not to the car park; I stuck with Google Maps and drove the extra 130 yards suggested and found the car park straight away.

Two23

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2018, 07:14:23 pm »

I took our Spanish car (LHD) over to Britain many times, and contrary to my expectations, the driving problem was not cities and passing buses, it was tight rural roads in Scotland. It's quite an existential thrill watching a huge timber truck come thundering towards you on what starts to feel like a path.

I did great driving on rural roads in Scotland.  It's hard to screw up when there's just one lane. :D   As for the trucks, I'm used to coming upon huge trucks hauling grain so that didn't shake me any.

Kent in SD
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.

Farmer

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2018, 09:29:42 pm »

Big trucks coming at you on poor or narrow roads - welcome to Australia and Road Trains:

https://goo.gl/images/osw9ny

If you're lucky, it's a dirt road and kicking up so much dust you know they're coming and you just pull over and wait.

I've found switching from RHD to LHD or vice versa takes about a day and then it's no big deal.
Phil Brown

degrub

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2018, 10:23:48 pm »

yeah, you get used to the turn signal wiper indicators pretty quickly.

Farmer

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2018, 11:32:51 pm »

yeah, you get used to the turn signal wiper indicators pretty quickly.

I get that just switching between cars made in different places, regardless of which side the steering wheel is on :-)
Phil Brown

fredjeang2

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2018, 05:14:21 am »

Dartmoor National Park, in Devon.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2018, 09:12:51 am »

Bath, as already suggested. I visited in 2012.

Rob C

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2018, 09:46:30 am »

I did great driving on rural roads in Scotland.  It's hard to screw up when there's just one lane. :D  As for the trucks, I'm used to coming upon huge trucks hauling grain so that didn't shake me any.

Kent in SD

Yeah, but I was driving my LHD car in a RHD country.

Big trucks get bigger.

There's an amusing comment from Albert Watson regarding this; if you have not seen it yet, it's a two-part video you may enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FYJydaClRA

3:44 for relevant item.

Rob

Bob J

• Dyxum
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2018, 03:20:59 pm »

Don't use a car to get around in London, public transport is far more practical. You will probably need a car to visit Stonehenge.. if you are wanting to do that make sure you are staying over that side of London, or do London, then stay somewhere West like Salisbury..

In London visit St Paul's, the British museum, the museums at Kensington and walk the south Bank from Westminster to your bridge.

davidedric

« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2018, 04:21:48 pm »

Driving is ok with the steering wheel on the right side for the country (I have driven a lot in the USA and continental Europe). The time to think carefully is when you are making a manoeuvre or a turn (you DON'T want to find yourself on the wrong side of a divided highway, or dual carriageway, as we call them over here).

Personally, I have found the TomTom app on my smart phone excellent (I guess you know about tri-band phones).

As a graduate of the University of Oxford, there's really only one choice :-) , but park and ride is a must.

Dave

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2018, 08:59:36 am »

A fact nobody has yet mentioned is that the first two weeks of April will coincide with the school Easter holidays in England.  Good Friday is 30th March and most school these days seem to have their break the two weeks after this.  That means that traffic could be quite heavy - especially in the South West (Devon and Cornwall).  London and the main tourist centres like Stonehenge will likely be heaving with tourists and families.  Really Cornwall would be too far to go in the time you have - the Dorset coast is amazing though.

Jim

armand

• Photos
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2018, 07:31:30 pm »

A fact nobody has yet mentioned is that the first two weeks of April will coincide with the school Easter holidays in England.  Good Friday is 30th March and most school these days seem to have their break the two weeks after this.  That means that traffic could be quite heavy - especially in the South West (Devon and Cornwall).  London and the main tourist centres like Stonehenge will likely be heaving with tourists and families.  Really Cornwall would be too far to go in the time you have - the Dorset coast is amazing though.

Jim

Crap, that's what I was afraid of.

Thank you everybody, you saved me a lot of time trying to find this via google.

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2018, 11:28:34 am »

Crap, that's what I was afraid of.

Thank you everybody, you saved me a lot of time trying to find this via google.

Yes, although our own children are grown up - our main photography business is now with schools, so we are hard-wired into their term times.

Enjoy your visit though.

Jim

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up