Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Things to do in England  (Read 4086 times)

armand

• Photos
Things to do in England
« on: March 05, 2018, 05:43:14 pm »

I'll be in London for few days and than I will have another 5 days or so that I plan to spend outside of London.
I'll probably rent a car although I'm a little reluctant to drive on the left (it will be an automatic for sure though, can't afford 2 big changes) and plan to see things within driving distance of London with my kids. Ideally a mix of history/culture and a little wow factor for the kids. Some photographic appeal would be nice but it's not essential. Ideally not the busiest, would rather spend time seeing/experimenting than standing in lines.
I'm thinking to go to Oxford and maybe Stonehenge.
Any other locations that you know and recommend?
Thanks

PS. I considered going to Scotland and ride the "Harry Potter" train but it's a little too extensive

Peter McLennan

Re: Things to do in England
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 06:22:51 pm »

Stonehenge for the kids.  Cornish coast for your cameras.
What do I know?  I haven't been in the UK for twenty years.  I do recall being gobsmacked by those two locations, though.

Two23

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 07:18:14 pm »

I've always wanted to go see the Henry Fox Talbot museum.  It's the only museum dedicated to a photographer!  There are also some really nice shops in London that sell ancient photo gear.  The kids would like a castle or two.  You could end the trip with a grand finale by visiting the birth place of Rob C.

Kent in SD
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 09:18:17 pm by Two23 »
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 07:55:49 pm »

What time of year? Would you be renting a car?

Stonehenge is special, I'd suggest Cambridge is more photogenic than Oxford. Scotland is a day away, a trip in its own right rather than a side trip.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 09:41:50 pm »

In a month.
As I said I will very likely rent a a car.

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 10:05:42 pm »

Hope?

armand

• Photos
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2018, 10:12:06 pm »

Two23

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 10:20:36 pm »

In a month.
As I said I will very likely rent a a car.

I've been to Scotland twice.  I'm a very experienced driver--at one point I was driving nearly 5,000 miles a month on my job.  I did rent a car in Scotland but honestly, it was very dangerous!  All of my driving instincts were exactly backwards there and nearly got me killed.  I did OK out in the rural areas where I had time to think through every turn, every every rounderbout, etc. but once in big cities I just parked it and either rode the bus, took a cab, or walked.  Between Glasgow and London we took the sleeper train.  If you don't have experience driving in a place where everything is backwards, I'm urging extreme caution.  Really, it's much harder than you might think to have to suddenly start doing everything in a different way.  If you slip up once you could be killed.  No joke.

Kent in SD
miserere nobis.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2018, 10:41:14 pm »

I've been to Scotland twice.  I'm a very experienced driver--at one point I was driving nearly 5,000 miles a month on my job.  I did rent a car in Scotland but honestly, it was very dangerous!  All of my driving instincts were exactly backwards there and nearly got me killed.  I did OK out in the rural areas where I had time to think through every turn, every every rounderbout, etc. but once in big cities I just parked it and either rode the bus, took a cab, or walked.  Between Glasgow and London we took the sleeper train.  If you don't have experience driving in a place where everything is backwards, I'm urging extreme caution.  Really, it's much harder than you might think to have to suddenly start doing everything in a different way.  If you slip up once you could be killed.  No joke.

Kent in SD

I hear you. The good part is that I have less habits to break compared to you  ;)
I did drive in places with different traffic where many times rules were optional and I did hear about people driving there who survived when caution was taken. I have no intention of driving in London and hopefully if I take some buses/taxi I’ll be able to get into the proper mindset. I would rather not do it but I should be ok. The car will definitely be automatic; I can drive a stick but the combo of left side driving and left hand shifting would be too much.

Scotland will have to wait, likely I’ll combine it with Ireland. From London I was planning to fly to Glasgow anyway.

Two23

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2018, 11:06:09 pm »

I had no experience with round-abouts until I went to Scotland.  There it was one after another!  At first I found myself just going in circles until I finally got the hang of it.  When I got back home, a few months later I was driving in a part of my city that's mostly all new and came upon a round-about.  I naturally turned to the left and began going around it  clockwise.  Suddenly there was a big truck coming straight at me!  We both hit the brakes, and I was irritated that they guy obviously had never driven a round-about before!  But then there were a couple of more cars going the wrong way too, and I quickly realized that here the direction was the exact opposite of Scotland. Duh!  Luckily, speeds were slow. :-\

Kent in SD
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 09:41:08 am by Two23 »
miserere nobis.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2018, 03:40:22 am »

Stonehenge is special, I'd suggest Cambridge is more photogenic than Oxford. Scotland is a day away, a trip in its own right rather than a side trip.

I'd endorse the recommendation of Cambridge. It's very flat (there is one hill) but many of the colleges are very beautiful.

And don't even think about driving in London! I rather enjoy it, but that's because it suits my driving style. You'd have to pay the rather hefty congestion charge, too.

Jeremy
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 03:43:45 am by kikashi »

athegn

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2018, 04:03:04 am »

Driving in London. Watch the cyclists; we've taken over!

Driving on the  otherside is easy. All but a few of my miles have been in UK but I have driven a bit in Europe and found no problems; Italy worst and don't even think of Rome. Only tried Florida in USA; easy.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2018, 06:49:33 am »

A few combined trips not far from London:
- Brighton (sea side town) and the South Downs
- Blenheim Palace and Oxford
- Ely cathedral and Cambridge
- Stonehenge, Avebury, and Salisbury cathedral

With Cambridge, Oxford or Brighton it often makes sense to use "park and ride" - large out of town car parks with dedicated bus services to the centre.

Driving around London is no fun, so bus/taxi/underground are fine. The water bus to Greenwich is lovely, and go to the Tate Britain gallery for their JMW Turner paintings - in my view it's London's only world class art collection.

John

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2018, 08:04:30 am »

My wife and I were there (no children at the time) a number of years ago and we spent some time in London without a car and then with a car did the southwest of England.  Driving was fine  in that area as traffic is not all that bad.  We explored the coast, Dartmoor, and on the way back Oxford.  It will take you some time to adjust to driving on the other side of the road as your perception will be opposite to what you are used to.   

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2018, 08:50:02 am »

Stonehenge is OK, but you won't be able to get up close and personal with the monument, unlike Avebury. Avebury has the largest stone circle in the world. There's actually three inside the henge, which I think is also the largest, certainly the largest in the UK. The village sits inside the henge, and you can walk freely amongst the stones. You've also got Silbury Hill and West Kennett long barrow within easy walking distance.

If you're planning to head to Exmoor or Dartmoor, let me know. I can give you some detailed info on both.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2018, 06:18:51 pm »

I had no experience with round-abouts until I went to Scotland.  There it was one after another!  At first I found myself just going in circles until I finally got the hang of it.  When I got back home, a few months later I was driving in a part of my city that's mostly all new and came upon a round-about.  I naturally turned to the left and began going around it  clockwise.  Suddenly there was a big truck coming straight at me!  We both hit the brakes, and I was irritated that they guy obviously had never driven a round-about before!  But then there were a couple of more cars going the wrong way too, and I quickly realized that here the direction was the exact opposite of Scotland. Duh!  Luckily, speeds were slow. :-\

Kent in SD

I'm originally from Europe and I have round-abouts in my current area too so I only have to get the rotation right  :D

I'd endorse the recommendation of Cambridge. It's very flat (there is one hill) but many of the colleges are very beautiful.

And don't even think about driving in London! I rather enjoy it, but that's because it suits my driving style. You'd have to pay the rather hefty congestion charge, too.

Jeremy

I'm ok driving in bad traffic, I call it "play chicken". Joke aside I'd rather not in London so I won't.

A few combined trips not far from London:
- Brighton (sea side town) and the South Downs
- Blenheim Palace and Oxford
- Ely cathedral and Cambridge
- Stonehenge, Avebury, and Salisbury cathedral

With Cambridge, Oxford or Brighton it often makes sense to use "park and ride" - large out of town car parks with dedicated bus services to the centre.

Driving around London is no fun, so bus/taxi/underground are fine. The water bus to Greenwich is lovely, and go to the Tate Britain gallery for their JMW Turner paintings - in my view it's London's only world class art collection.

John

Stonehenge is OK, but you won't be able to get up close and personal with the monument, unlike Avebury. Avebury has the largest stone circle in the world. There's actually three inside the henge, which I think is also the largest, certainly the largest in the UK. The village sits inside the henge, and you can walk freely amongst the stones. You've also got Silbury Hill and West Kennett long barrow within easy walking distance.

If you're planning to head to Exmoor or Dartmoor, let me know. I can give you some detailed info on both.

Thank you. Looks like Avebury made my list. Not sure I want to drive as far as the xxMoors, I might aim towards the south coast. Still deciding.

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2018, 06:56:17 pm »

Bath

Cheers,
Tom Brown

elliot_n

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2018, 07:22:51 pm »

i was going to suggest Bath too. Take the kids to Longleat on the way.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2018, 04:35:02 am »

driving in a place where everything is backwards,.....  Really, it's much harder than you might think......  If you slip up once you could be killed.  No joke.
Sorry, but this IS a joke. The UK is one of the safest places in the world to drive. As long as you don't drive recklessly you'll be fine.
Although we like to moan about the standards of driving here, the reality is that the UK's drivers are on the whole experienced, capable and a key reason why our accident statistics are so good.
If you're going to hire a car here, make the effort to learn about our driving practices so you know what to expect and plan your journeys in advance. Sat-Navs and Google street view should sort out navigation issues and ensure you aren't surprised when driving. Google's driving time estimations can be very accurate here, so that could aid planning too.
Driving in London is not much harder than most other major cities, but poorly sign posted and parking is limited and expensive, so stick to our public transport unless you like a challenge. I'd also suggest trying to avoid using the underground with children in the rush hour as it's rather intimidating for them.

The OP doesn't say how old or what gender his children are and that doesn't help us suggest the best trips. For example the recommendation to visit Cambridge is OK, but adding Duxford air museum would be great for a boy, maybe less so for a girl. On the other hand a girl might enjoy Blenheim Palace on the way to Oxford more than a boy. Oxford also has a good couple of museums when it's raining (in April it will rain sometimes).

If time's limited I wouldn't bother with Stonehenge. It's a long way out from London, you can't really get close to it and it's packed with tourists.

A trip on the Bluebell steam railway could incorporated into a trip to Brighton, not the Harry Potter line, but still an English steam railway. The i360 in Brighton ticks the 'wow' factor too.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2018, 05:57:50 am »

I can't agree about Stonehenge - sure it's busy, but it is Stonehenge. It fits in well with Avebury and Salisbury, and with Bath too if one stays out of London for a couple of nights.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up