Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Perfect Metaphor  (Read 3495 times)

32BT

• Pictures
The Perfect Metaphor
« on: September 27, 2006, 10:39:34 am »

OK, so let's try to raise the level of critique and discussion in this part of the forum. Following is a first crude try of an image titled "The Perfect Metaphor":

The question I have is: Does this fly? is the message clear?

My personal gripes:
- obviously, an english scrabble board with an english word would work better. the red squares read "double word premium". (while I'm at it, the original rounded wooden letter blocks would certainly be a bonus).

Composition:
-I don't specifically like the empty space at the top-right corner. Currently it looks as if there is some additional information in the star-cell, but I don't think it contributes anything meaningful that is not already available elsewhere.

- I would like to preserve the meandering line in the letter placement, gracefully random. But obviously there are infinite number of possibilities, some of which may make a better composition. The word has to be readable, but decomposed. Letters don't have to be in the right order, as long as it is strongly clear which word is meant. (Apparently, research suggests that only the first and last letter have to be correct, but I prefer to be a bit more meticulous).

- In an initial test shot I could crop it to square format which for some reason is becoming somewhat of an intuitively preferred crop for me in general. In this case it may work better because it reduces the amount of irrelevant space.
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Fred Ragland

• http://
The Perfect Metaphor
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 11:23:20 am »

OK, so let's try to raise the level of critique and discussion in this part of the forum. Following is a first crude try of an image titled "The Perfect Metaphor"[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=77980\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Very creative.  I'll start watching your messages more closely.
First, lets make clear the language being used.  Yes, the letters combine and cooperate (synergy) to form a scrabble combination (metaphor...this isn't the way the word is primarily used).
As to the photography, please add "Just a bit too contrasty" to your critique.
Thanks for the smile.

jeffreyluce

• http://
The Perfect Metaphor
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 06:48:16 pm »

Maybe put the star at the end of synergy?

how about this.... regular scrabble words in the upper right... like people playing the game correctly... and synergy just like it is.... get more of an angle so the upper right letters are blurred out more.

if you could find a board w/out a fold thru the center of it, it would distract a little less... but I'm not sure they make a solid board (one that doesn't fold)
Jeffrey Luce

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
The Perfect Metaphor
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 07:32:13 pm »

I like this.  The colored star in the upper right balances the negative space nicely.  I wouldn't change anything.

Peter McLennan

The Perfect Metaphor
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2006, 12:53:25 pm »

I must be thick.    

I don't get it.  What's the point of the image again?

Shouldn't the letters be arranged in Scrabble format?  Aligned on the board?
Pages: [1]   Go Up