Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "company A" using my IG images to promote their goods on Instagram.  (Read 2052 times)

FataMorgana

Hello.

Longtime-no-post!

I have a possibly legal, if not an ethical question.

I'm based in the UK, and a US company are using some of my IG images on their own IG feed, with a credit to me in their text, but promoting their swim equipment with my IG feed images.

IG, in fact most social media (?) seems to be a minefield, but what's the general consensus, do they need permission, should they seek permission (it would not be granted without payment) before taking my images for their own commercial ends?

It's hardly going to challenge Kant's Categorical Imperative, but I am prepared to email them, and send a letter or an invoice if it come to that.

Thanks in advance.
Sony 2018 Professional Shortlist. 22 IPA H'Mentions 2017-15 +a 2nd 2016, Px3 cat' winner 2008

OmerV

• Photographs
Re: "company A" using my IG images to promote their goods on Instagram.
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 12:32:56 pm »

Absolutely that company should have asked for your permission. But now that you know, it is up to you on what steps to take next. No matter where we put up our photographs, the copyright belongs to us alone and it is our decision only on which a company (or other) must base their use of our work.

There was a recent court case in which a photographer won over the use of his IG pictures by someone else, though I can't remember exactly who the photographer was.

FataMorgana

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 03:09:52 pm »

Sorry, but I don't know.

I know you do sign away many rights when posting to IG, so without some empirical evidence, and perhaps initially in the form of links or names of cases which I can investigate of actual examples, I am still unsure of the legal position.
Sony 2018 Professional Shortlist. 22 IPA H'Mentions 2017-15 +a 2nd 2016, Px3 cat' winner 2008

Les Sparks

• http://www.ncsparks.com
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 06:45:00 pm »

You still have the copyright and have not given any rights. IG has a policy to protect your copyright so you should contact them see Copyright .
You contact the company notifying them that they are using you material without permission. What kind of compensation you want is something you and the company should work out.  Good luck

danielc

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 03:45:26 pm »

I agree with others that you still have the copyright etc. I'm not sure it's worth chasing them, but it is definitely  worth an email at least. It may lead to a fruitful relationship where money is exchanged for photos, you never know.

The problem is if they are ducks about it, or if they say no and you resort to asking IG to pull the photo for copyright reasons, they probably don't care much. Social media is such an immediate thing due to algorithms etc, after 2 days the viewings of that image would be 1% of what was viewing it in the first day or two, so they have gotten most of their use out of the image after 1 - 2 days.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2019, 09:24:37 am »

Hello.

Longtime-no-post!

I have a possibly legal, if not an ethical question.

I'm based in the UK, and a US company are using some of my IG images on their own IG feed, with a credit to me in their text, but promoting their swim equipment with my IG feed images.

IG, in fact most social media (?) seems to be a minefield, but what's the general consensus, do they need permission, should they seek permission (it would not be granted without payment) before taking my images for their own commercial ends?

It's hardly going to challenge Kant's Categorical Imperative, but I am prepared to email them, and send a letter or an invoice if it come to that.

Thanks in advance.

First thing i would do is collect evidence:- download the page and go to archive.org and make sure they archive the page.
If the page is already archived at it ispossible to see how long they have used your photo on Instagram.
In this way they cannot pull the photo of and say nothing happened.-
Next thing is to contact them and make a proposition.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2019, 09:33:33 am »

Millions of people around the world use Instagram. But, despite such a wide coverage, we can definitely say that "instagrammers" - are a special audience. I think that Instagram now is the most fashionable social network. With the most fashionable participants, of course! Think to promote with https://igautolike.com/ service. What will you say? I do not know the average price, wish I could understand how profitable their price is.

I just looked at this link, to a page in pink, and thought: what a tragic stink.

I do assume these people who go there are all under thirteen years of age.

;-)

degrub

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2019, 09:51:31 am »

I just looked at this link, to a page in pink, and thought: what a tragic stink.

I do assume these people who go there are all under thirteen years of age.

;-)

It looked like a "bot" post to me since it was a "first" post and the writing had an odd feel to it.

faberryman

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2019, 09:59:40 am »

I think that Instagram now is the most fashionable social network. With the most fashionable participants, of course!
How can it be fashionable if a billion people are using it? Where's the exclusivity? It's like saying wearing socks is fashionable.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2019, 10:23:55 am »

It’s a year-old post, people.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2019, 11:40:22 am »

Not that it matters, but even though you own the copyright, unless you've taken the trouble to register it you may have a difficult, terribly expensive time proving it. If you're really concerned about this kind of thing you really need to register your copyrights. It's a hassle, but it's the only way to protect your stuff.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

faberryman

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2019, 12:32:19 pm »

Registering your copyright is one thing. Hiring an attorney to enforce your rights is another.

RSL

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2019, 12:47:43 pm »

Right, Fab. Ever do it?

faberryman

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2019, 12:50:46 pm »

Right, Fab. Ever do it?
Register yes. Enforce no. But I know what my hourly rate was before I retired. I am not on social media. I am unaware of anyone stealing my work off my website. I would probably feel flattered that someone liked it enough to steal it.

RSL

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2019, 02:21:43 pm »

Exactly my feeling about it, Fab. But I probably wouldn't feel that way if I were trying to make a living off it.

faberryman

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2019, 02:30:30 pm »

Exactly my feeling about it, Fab. But I probably wouldn't feel that way if I were trying to make a living off it.
If I were making my living off of it, I wouldn't be asking for advice on an internet forum.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2019, 02:47:35 pm »

If I were making my living off of it, I wouldn't be asking for advice on an internet forum.

Oh, for god's sake, cut that crap!

RSL

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2019, 03:52:59 pm »

;D ;D ;D ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up