Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leaf Valeo CA  (Read 4548 times)

bcroslin

• http://www.bobcroslin.com
Leaf Valeo CA
« on: September 26, 2006, 11:10:45 pm »

One week down with my Leaf Valeo and I'm loving it but one small issue has come up: chromatic aberration. I've tried eliminating it in Photoshop and it seems like I'm just turning it from magenta to blue. I remember James saying something about CA with his Aptus on the RG forum but his posts can't be searched by name anymore. Anyone found a reliable method for eliminating CA?
Bob Croslin, Photographer
[url=http://ww

ericstaud

• www.ericstaudenmaier.com
Leaf Valeo CA
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 11:25:52 pm »

It seemed to me that the CA tool in Adobe Camera Raw was easier to use than working with the tiff in Photoshop.  In my experience the ACR tool had much finer adjustment.  Of course this only works if you are processing in ACR and not the Leaf software.  What lenses are you using?

-Eric

bcroslin

• http://www.bobcroslin.com
Leaf Valeo CA
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 12:25:51 am »

What lenses are you using?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=77934\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Mostly the 80 2.8 but I've seen it with the 150 3.5. It's not a deal breaker by any means but it's there and I'm afraid it may really show up in contrasty back-lit situations.
Bob Croslin, Photographer
[url=http://ww

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
Leaf Valeo CA
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 11:17:54 am »

'a week in'  !

I dont own leaf or Canon or know those softwares.

But what I do know is that my Kodak SLRn is badly affected.

Using the Photodesk software

Having got CS I have found that processing my Kodak files in ACR can work wonders in a way that 'desk couldnt

Can you open leaf in ACR - I dont know ?

Depending on how many files you output you could try (and I have) just drawing round the offending areas with smally feathered lasso and massivly desaturating the colour

The level of sharpening you use will affect it too - have you played with that - processing out totally unsharpened images, doing your fiddling and adding sharpening last

Also maybe you need to turn down the flashes that dramatically sweep across many of your subjects cheekbones (LOL)

I try to have NO 255 255 255 in my raw files

One of the beauties of the 16bit file is that you can punch up the mids better without too much damage so maybe you need to expose less or slightly lower your lighting ratios - start with a flatter exposue than you are used to and add punch in post??

(then you may want to sling the slow synching mam in the bin and get an H1/2/3/4/5 OMG)

SMM
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 11:26:46 am by Morgan_Moore »
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

nicolaasdb

• http://
Leaf Valeo CA
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2006, 06:35:54 pm »

About 2 years ago I bought a Kodak Slrn and returned it after one day of shooting...because of the chromatic aberration...didn't know what it was called, but knew I didn't want to deal with it! So I bought a Canon ds1mkII and never looked back.....now I am buying a Aptus 75....I have been shooting with it for about a week....what an amazing result! It is like shooting film again...but a little slower!

'a week in'  !

I dont own leaf or Canon or know those softwares.

But what I do know is that my Kodak SLRn is badly affected.

Using the Photodesk software

Having got CS I have found that processing my Kodak files in ACR can work wonders in a way that 'desk couldnt

Can you open leaf in ACR - I dont know ?

Depending on how many files you output you could try (and I have) just drawing round the offending areas with smally feathered lasso and massivly desaturating the colour

The level of sharpening you use will affect it too - have you played with that - processing out totally unsharpened images, doing your fiddling and adding sharpening last

Also maybe you need to turn down the flashes that dramatically sweep across many of your subjects cheekbones (LOL)

I try to have NO 255 255 255 in my raw files

One of the beauties of the 16bit file is that you can punch up the mids better without too much damage so maybe you need to expose less or slightly lower your lighting ratios - start with a flatter exposue than you are used to and add punch in post??

(then you may want to sling the slow synching mam in the bin and get an H1/2/3/4/5 OMG)

SMM
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=77984\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
Leaf Valeo CA
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2006, 06:53:18 pm »

About 2 years ago I bought a Kodak Slrn and returned it after one day of shooting...because of the chromatic aberration...[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=78667\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

My point to the original poster is that different sofware and how it is used can affect the final CA in a file as can the whole method of shooting

It is unlikely he has a flawed product I was trying to give him some pointers in approaching the issue

----

I always found the leaves against a totally blown sky images that people take to show CA irrelevant to the my real world
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK
Pages: [1]   Go Up