Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: macbook pro support for FW tethering  (Read 920 times)

Endeavour

macbook pro support for FW tethering
« on: February 27, 2018, 10:55:39 am »

Hi
I have an old (mid 2012) macbook pro which I use for tethered capture via the firewire port to my PhaseOne (P30+) digital back

The macbook is on its last legs and I really need to think about a replacement - but I'm worried about the tethering support if later macbooks have the FW port dropped, in favour of thunderbolt only

Does anyone know if the thunderbolt to firewire adapter will work with Phase one back? I'm not expecting the cable to power the back, as it will still have a battery, but am I going to have any issues with tethered captures?

thanks

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
Re: macbook pro support for FW tethering
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 05:49:50 am »

Not sure about the p30+, but I do sometimes connect the IQ back to my thunderbolt-based MBP through the FW800 port on the back using the Apple FW800-to-TB adapter and it works fine. Actually more reliable than the USB port on my back.

This worked with my previous IQ180 and currently with my 3100.

Dave

Joe Towner

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 10:56:56 pm »

There are a number of existing threads, but basically you're best served with a powered TB dock that has a FW800 port in it - that way any power needs are covered.
t: @PNWMF

TommyWeir

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 01:30:40 am »

Not used to tether yet but it works fine with all my FW drives. I’m sure a local store would let you test. No harm in asking.
Pages: [1]   Go Up