Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Linear Response film curve  (Read 9478 times)

Dinarius

Re: Linear Response film curve
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2018, 01:03:12 pm »

As the linear scientific is 0,0 to 1,1 and nothing more all are identical for all cameras. Well at least that was what others said. No need to open it with some software, just rename it to the camera model you use.

Sebbe,

Doesn't work for me.

If I rename, say, a Leaf Linear Scientific film curve to Canon5D and then reopen C1 and apply it, the file is green as grass.

So, as well as flattening the curve, there seems to be some camera -specific colour profiling going on also.

Unless I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks.

D.

sebbe

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2018, 01:26:47 pm »

Sebbe,

Doesn't work for me.

If I rename, say, a Leaf Linear Scientific film curve to Canon5D and then reopen C1 and apply it, the file is green as grass.

So, as well as flattening the curve, there seems to be some camera -specific colour profiling going on also.

Unless I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks.

D.

hmmm... I just tried "LeafCredo40-Credo 40 Linear Scientific.fcrv" for my a7RII and it worked. Sorry if it does not work. C1Pro11?

Dinarius

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2018, 02:10:43 pm »

Sebbe,

I’m C1 10.

I just realised that I was applying it to a file that I had already made edits to, and that may have skewed the LS profile.

I will try it again with a file that is zeroed-out, and see how that goes.

But, I’ll do it tomorrow - it’s now vino time! 😎

Thanks!

D.

photocor

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2018, 03:22:59 am »

I used the Linear Response for 7 years.
But due to problem of neutrality with C1 icc profie I associate since 4 years an own icc.
It is a "reproduction" icc camera profile done with two charts (CCSG and Munsel) to be sure to have a perfect neutral grey and linear . As I had a little problem with the foot of the curve I now use Lumariver Profile Designer instead of BasiCoor Input to build it. The Linear Response in C1 makes it possible to immediately judge the potential of the file. For the contrasts I have three basic "luma" curves: one for the portrait, one for the landscape and one for the shots in the street. I adapt them according to the lighting of the shooting and I adjust it also with levels. The color editor is only used for color.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 03:37:17 am by photocor »

Dinarius

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2018, 03:39:49 am »

hmmm... I just tried "LeafCredo40-Credo 40 Linear Scientific.fcrv" for my a7RII and it worked. Sorry if it does not work. C1Pro11?

Sorted!

You’re right. It works.

The difference between Response and Scientific is very slight overall.

It also varies between files, as I would have expected. The degree of recovery can be more or less apparent at each end of the file.

Useful to have for comparison sake.

Thanks.

D.

DP

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2018, 09:40:06 am »

instead of BasiCoor Input to build it.

BasICColor can't fix simple bugs in Input for months (as in many month) and yet dare to charge money for the product... they simply don't do any QA before releasing paid product

Paul Steunebrink

• Image Alchemist
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2018, 03:11:45 pm »

Paul,

One further point....

I do think that the PhaseOne business model is similar to high fashion - selling MF backs (Haute Couture) to 1%ers in order to create a brand that allows you to sell C1 (e.g. perfume, cosmetics) to the masses.

In fashion, the perfume/cosmetics are their bread and butter, and they know it.

C1 is a superb product, but I think that PhaseOne's customer focus, so to speak, lies still with MF and not the software.

As I wrote to them recently, the most bog-standard of all RAW developers, ACR, has far and away the best CA/Lens correction tool. If only C1 were as good.

D.
Dinarius,

Interesting comparison with high fashion and cosmetics. The strong interconnection between Phase One backs and Capture One and the fact that the software has also a goal to sell to the masses, are both true, IMHO.

There are obviously some algorithms in Capture One to improve and I can see it is a work in progress, when looking a few years back. It is always fun to watch what has been updated in the next upgrade.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 03:16:14 pm by Paul Steunebrink »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up