Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just published - Sony RX0 Review  (Read 2507 times)

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
Just published - Sony RX0 Review
« on: February 26, 2018, 09:19:22 am »

I just published an article on the Sony RX0.  It's a tiny camera doing a big job with some quirks.  Article and 2 videos can be found HERE
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
Re: Just published - Sony RX0 Review
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 09:50:04 am »

This type of cameras is fun to use. I have a GoPro, does what is supposed to do.

P.S. I think the title to your article should read "Hands On", and not "Hands One"?

fred244

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 04:13:06 pm »

Kevin - thanks for the RX0 review.  I cannot get the first video, with the miniature Kevin next to the camera, to execute.  The others are fine, the first is not clickable at all.
Also the specs say the sensor is 1x1".  Its the '1" style' but the dimensions are 8.8mm x 13.2mm.  Also the Sony specs say ISO goes up to 25600 for JPEGs and multi-exposure noise reduction activated.  But cannot get that high ISO value to show on mine.  Thanks !

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 06:09:39 pm »

The first photo is a screenshot.  I shall fix that.  I'll have to check the other items pointed out on my camera with me.  I am with some Sony guys so I'll check on this.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Peter McLennan

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 09:03:06 pm »

The first photo is a screenshot.  I shall fix that.

Thank you.  Drove me crazy at first.

fred244

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 03:24:28 pm »

Kevin - first tried to use the 'Contact/Feedback' screen to ask my RX0 questions and don't have the proper mail client setup to use.  Do you have a regular e-mail address that a member can use for simple feedback/contact comments ?
And I got my RX0 to use ISO 25600.  Had to switch the mode to P program, the drive mode to Continuous, ISO to multi NR and the High option.  But then switch the mode to Superior Auto.  Oh and JPEGs only.  Update the ISO stayed to 25600 when switched to single shot drive mode, still in Superior Auto.  The images are only fair lots of noise.
You are right to be concerned about the detachable inputs door, have heard (unverified) somewhere that its $98 !
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 05:52:55 pm by fred244 »

DougDolde

• Images of the American West
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 05:13:55 pm »

The reviews on B&H aren't nearly as positive as yours.

jaclarkaus

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 06:28:59 pm »

Very positive review on a reasonable first attempt by Sony, but your review is missing the three killers:

1) not 4K at least 60fps. Go Pro does 2.7k with bells and whistles and 4K30 stabilized, 4K60 unstabilized. No reason Sony shouldn't at least
2) and the big one ... no stabilization? what were they thinking?
3) microphone sounds rubbish

Your shots when on a fixed mount were great but very shaky and unusable when hand held and sound hopeless when using inbuilt mic.

Shame really.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 03:28:32 pm by jaclarkaus »

Peter McLennan

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 06:56:51 pm »

Agreed on IS.  Desperately needed and sorely lacking, especially from the originators of SteadyShot.  Immediately apparent when Kevin began shooting.

Framing selfies (vlogging) without a viewfinder is a complete fail. The LCD panel needs to flip right up, like the RX100's does.  Given the awful camera mic (if that's what we were hearing) this failing is especially galling for vloggers/selfie people.

Sony menus are justifiably infamous. I sold my RX100 primarily for this reason. Porting them directly to that tiny screen is just silly.

Slo mo was impressive.

Pages: [1]   Go Up