Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon Pro-1000, Moab Juniper Rag 305 head strikes  (Read 853 times)

rick_k

Canon Pro-1000, Moab Juniper Rag 305 head strikes
« on: February 25, 2018, 05:26:12 pm »

I've been printing on Moab Juniper Rag 305 at sizes 17 x 22, 11 x 14 and 8.5 x 11 for a while now with no issues. Yesterday I bought a box of 13 x 19 and no I'm getting head strikes in the first 30mm from the front edge of the paper. I double checked my settings and I am using the Moab provided ICC with the recommended Photo Paper Pro Platinum media type. I adjusted the head height for the media type from Low to Standard and it helped but still seeing the strikes. I am also using the manual feed so it is straighter/flatter.

I can raise the head height some more.. or I can adjust the print size to not print to the first 1.5 inches but I was also wondering about the vacuum system and if maybe that is becoming less powerful/effective over time holding the paper flat? I tried a letter size and it had no head strikes and was printing within 10 mm of the leading edge with no strikes.

I haven't tried the head alignment yet. Does anyone know if that affects head height or the vacuum?

Thanks,
Rick

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Canon Pro-1000, Moab Juniper Rag 305 head strikes
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 07:22:43 pm »

I forget the details of the Pro-1000 driver as I no longer have the printer, but if it allows to set BOTH the paper thickness and the platen gap try increasing both. It won't affect print quality. From one interpretation of what you describe, I'm wondering whether there is a bit more than usual paper curl at the end of your sheets. This can happen, and with relatively thick media create such an issue. Check for curl and if you see any, try bending it backwards without creasing the paper before you feed it into the printer. A problem with the vacuum system is less likely to be the issue from what you are saying.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

loganross

Re: Canon Pro-1000, Moab Juniper Rag 305 head strikes
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 11:21:45 pm »

Hi,
If you are using the Moab icc profiles, they tell you to set the media type to Pro Platinum.  The problem is if you look at the media type configuration in Canon Media Configuration Tool, pro platinum is set to low for head height.  This could be the problem, and you could always build a new media type with i higher head setting.  That said, I am printing with various Hahnemuhle papers on my pro-1000 which are between 300-320gsm in thickness.  Hahnemuhle tells you to use pro platinum as the media type.  I have no head strikes on my pro-1000.  The other option is something I have encountered a few times with moab papers (somerset rag to be specific).  The ends came slightly curled which caused head strikes in my p800.  I could not resolve it and so I had to head back to the store and exchange it.

I've been printing on Moab Juniper Rag 305 at sizes 17 x 22, 11 x 14 and 8.5 x 11 for a while now with no issues. Yesterday I bought a box of 13 x 19 and no I'm getting head strikes in the first 30mm from the front edge of the paper. I double checked my settings and I am using the Moab provided ICC with the recommended Photo Paper Pro Platinum media type. I adjusted the head height for the media type from Low to Standard and it helped but still seeing the strikes. I am also using the manual feed so it is straighter/flatter.

I can raise the head height some more.. or I can adjust the print size to not print to the first 1.5 inches but I was also wondering about the vacuum system and if maybe that is becoming less powerful/effective over time holding the paper flat? I tried a letter size and it had no head strikes and was printing within 10 mm of the leading edge with no strikes.

I haven't tried the head alignment yet. Does anyone know if that affects head height or the vacuum?

Thanks,
Rick
Pages: [1]   Go Up