Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson P5000 questions  (Read 1035 times)

gkroeger

Epson P5000 questions
« on: February 23, 2018, 10:00:27 am »

I have a P800 and have previously owned an Epson 7800 printer.

1. Does the P5000 use a vacuum system like the larger printers or hold-down "pizza" rollers?
2. Is easier to load fine-art paper into the straight-through paper path of the P5000 than into the front fine-art system of the P800?

Thanks.
Glenn

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Epson P5000 questions
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 11:13:10 am »

I have a P800 and have previously owned an Epson 7800 printer.

1. Does the P5000 use a vacuum system like the larger printers or hold-down "pizza" rollers?
2. Is easier to load fine-art paper into the straight-through paper path of the P5000 than into the front fine-art system of the P800?

Thanks.
Glenn

Hi Glenn,

I've been using the SC-P5000 for the better part of a year now, and as you know reviewed it for this website some time ago.

To answer your questions: (1) it has a vacuum system and it works very well. But it also has some very fine little silver-coloured wheels with flexible pins on them - not clear to me exactly how they contribute to the movement of paper through the printer, but in the many hundreds of prints I've made with this machine, and I've looked, I have never seen any evidence of "pizza wheel" damage.

(2) Most of the fine art paper that you would load through the FFA on the P800, you can most easily load into the manual feed slot on top of the SC-P5000. All you do is press the sheet down a bit till it mildly clicks and stops, push the down arrow on the keypad and the printer takes over loading it (same as it did for the 4900). Nothing fiddly as for the P800. The only time you get misfeeds is if you don't insert the paper with even pressure from side to side - it can skew; in that case you simply eject it and start over. After a day or two using this feed, such instances would be few and far between. You only need to use the straight through paper path for really heavy stuff. This feed is somewhat finicky unbtil you get accustomed to it. The key thing is to make sure the media is really correctly aligned as the instructions indicate. If so, it works well. If not, it doesn't.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

gkroeger

Re: Epson P5000 questions
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 01:39:56 pm »

Thanks Mark... that is exactly what I needed to know.

Glenn
Pages: [1]   Go Up