Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Leaf AFi MF Camera ?  (Read 37334 times)

william

Leaf AFi MF Camera ?
« Reply #60 on: September 28, 2006, 10:54:56 am »

Someoen asked about the AF on the Rollei 6008AF.  I had one, and the autofocusing was OK, but only OK.  It was faster than the Contax 645 (I had one of those too), but not as accurate (it would hunt more).  I remember reading, however, that the later versions of the 6008AF (I had one of the very early ones) were significantly better in terms of accuracy.  In short, the 6008AF's autofocus was OK.  Given that I don't shoot sports or wildlife, it was fine for me.

But, even assuming you're using the existign Schneider AF lenses on this new camera, there's no reason to assume that AF will be the same; presumably, a better AF drive and focusing algorithims in the camera itself would help.

For those of you who've seen the new camera: what's the deal with what you see in the finder in relation to the back's position?  I.e., is it a square viewing area with horizontal and vertical 6x4.5 etchings on the screen?  It would be really nice if the appropriate vertical or horizontal markings or "blades" popped up in the viewfinder when the orientation was changed -- wasn't there a Fuji camera that did this?  You;d think it'd be even easier to do that these days, given that you could just do it electronically in the viewfinder.

David WM

• http://
Leaf AFi MF Camera ?
« Reply #61 on: September 28, 2006, 11:45:33 am »

Sorry I got the impression that the 28MM would be "soft/firmware locked" to the H3D! Do we know wether this is the case yet or not ?1 Someone must know.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=78121\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Here is my theory of why the 28mm is probably dedicated to  the H3D.
I don't know a lot about the technicalities of lens design, but it seems that it is full of compromises. If you throw in some in-camera software removal of some of the distortions that are more easily corrected via software then the balance of the decisions for the design of the lens might be developed enough to enable acceptable results from such a wide lens (for this SLR format).  So it just wouldn't perform well enough without the software corrections that have been allowed for in the lens design, which are probably only available with the H3. ..and I suppose it follows that if Hasselblad are going this route with their products then there wouldn't be much possibility of cross over with other brands.

pss

• http://www.schefz.com
Leaf AFi MF Camera ?
« Reply #62 on: September 28, 2006, 01:43:33 pm »

It's ticked all of my boxes except two,

-can anyone say what's the tilt/shift lens options with this camera?

-I guess there's no equivalent of the Biogon 38mm in this range?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=78091\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

there is a superb 55mm T/S

there is a 40mm4.0 FLE Zeiss, a 40mm 3.5 schneider and the new announced 35mm AF
all with in lens shutters with synch up to 1/500....

there are also some older 40mm zeiss lenses for the same mount, which work on the 6000 series, we will have to see how they will work on this camera...they have limited automatic functions on the latest 6008af bodies...

Gary Ferguson

• http://
Leaf AFi MF Camera ?
« Reply #63 on: September 28, 2006, 02:07:46 pm »

Here is my theory of why the 28mm is probably dedicated to the H3D.

David, even though Hasselblad recommend the H3D for the 28mm I haven't seen anywhere a statement that it won't work with the H1/2. I guess you're on the right lines though with your point about digitally correcting optical abberations.

For extreme retrofocus wide angles in particular there seems to be a trade-off between resolution and distortion. I use the new Hasselblad 40mm IF, and even though it's the sharpest medium format ultra wide I've ever used (which includes the 38mm Biogon and the Contax and H series 35mm lenses) the level of distortion is just horrible, leaving aside the 30mm fisheye I think it measures roughly twice the level of distortion as the next worse lens in the V system line-up.

I too am no optical engineer, but it would be reasonable to asume that if automatic digital correction freed a lens designer from having to consider distortion (and to an extent vignetting) within their calculations, then they would be free to produce some stunning new optics.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Leaf AFi MF Camera ?
« Reply #64 on: September 28, 2006, 06:25:26 pm »

sorry, yes.
the only one I know about is:

they have a beast of a shift lens..a 55mm F4.5 PCS S/Angulon..very expensive (currently one used for £3k!)

not sure if other tilt shift options are avaialble but hoipefully we will know more over the next few days or so.
I am surprised no one at photkina has beena ble to find out about when these cameras are hoped to be released..I think we need to know if it is a matter of weeks, months or a year away!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=78101\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Theoretical date is April 07 - your date when it will really happen is as good as mine !

Edmund
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 06:29:09 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

william

Leaf AFi MF Camera ?
« Reply #65 on: September 28, 2006, 06:57:59 pm »

Wow!  That's a LONG time from annoucement to initial availability....

Theoretical date is April 07 - your date when it will really happen is as good as mine !

Edmund
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=78202\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

pss

Leaf AFi MF Camera ?
« Reply #66 on: September 28, 2006, 07:07:31 pm »

Wow!  That's a LONG time from annoucement to initial availability....
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=78206\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
is there anything shown at kina that will come out this year? this is a show of announcements, no more...a 6 months timeframe is actually pretty normal, especially for a nich product like this...it even takes canon 3-4 months between announcement and actual shipping of their new flagships...
the fact that this camera is shown and handled in different versions already makes the april timeframe very realistic...

Gigi

• some work
Leaf AFi MF Camera ?
« Reply #67 on: September 29, 2006, 10:09:54 am »

new camera: what's the deal with what you see in the finder in relation to the back's position? [a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=78137\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Again, for those who have seen the camera, does the handle rotate at all, or come off, like the 6008, or is it fixed? Given all the elctronics in it, it may have to be fixed, but it is nice in the 6008 that it can be positioned where you want it.
Geoff

william

Leaf AFi MF Camera ?
« Reply #68 on: September 29, 2006, 12:25:39 pm »

It rotates.  I don't remember where I read that, but I'm 99% certain that someone who's handled it reported that it does rotate.

My question was about rotation of the back and what you see in the viewfinder in relation to the back's orientation.

Again, for those who have seen the camera, does the handle rotate at all, or come off, like the 6008, or is it fixed? Given all the elctronics in it, it may have to be fixed, but it is nice in the 6008 that it can be positioned where you want it.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=78262\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

pss

Leaf AFi MF Camera ?
« Reply #69 on: September 29, 2006, 01:24:58 pm »

It rotates.  I don't remember where I read that, but I'm 99% certain that someone who's handled it reported that it does rotate.

My question was about rotation of the back and what you see in the viewfinder in relation to the back's orientation.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=78281\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

judging from the pics, it should rotate (it seems to be in different positions in different shots) plus there was a note somwhere about he LCD screen on the handle and that it is easily readable from all positions of the handle...

i used to have a valeo on a 555eld and i  made a cross shaped overlay in the finder for the rotating back...simple and cleaner then you would think...

the fuji gx680 had simple blades that popped out and masked the finder for vertical/horizontal shooting...very simple solution....not very accurate (i find myself using every mm in the finder with digital)...it could not be that hard to come up with something..but then every 200$ point&shoot has a better screen then my phase back....

eronald

Leaf AFi MF Camera ?
« Reply #70 on: September 30, 2006, 04:47:51 am »

judging from the pics, it should rotate (it seems to be in different positions in different shots) plus there was a note somwhere about he LCD screen on the handle and that it is easily readable from all positions of the handle...

i used to have a valeo on a 555eld and i  made a cross shaped overlay in the finder for the rotating back...simple and cleaner then you would think...

the fuji gx680 had simple blades that popped out and masked the finder for vertical/horizontal shooting...very simple solution....not very accurate (i find myself using every mm in the finder with digital)...it could not be that hard to come up with something..but then every 200$ point&shoot has a better screen then my phase back....
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=78286\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The back can be ucnlipped rotated and reclipped. The handle rotates.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Graham Mitchell

Leaf AFi MF Camera ?
« Reply #71 on: September 30, 2006, 05:12:58 am »

One thing about the Hy6 is rather unclear to me. What DB mount will it use? I assumed there would be a new Hy6 mount with full digital integration. If not, which existing mount is being used? Or is it modular, i.e. can it be modified to take different DBs?

eronald

Leaf AFi MF Camera ?
« Reply #72 on: September 30, 2006, 05:20:30 am »

One thing about the Hy6 is rather unclear to me. What DB mount will it use? I assumed there would be a new Hy6 mount with full digital integration. If not, which existing mount is being used? Or is it modular, i.e. can it be modified to take different DBs?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=78387\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There's an innovative solution: A fairly thick adapter clips to the camera body, and the film pack clips to the adapter. I assume that various adapters for various thrid-part backs could also be emplaced, allowing it to work with backs for other camera mounts.

Edmund

Nemo

Leaf AFi MF Camera ?
« Reply #73 on: September 30, 2006, 05:45:43 am »

Do you think Leica will make lenses for the Hy6?

michael

Leaf AFi MF Camera ?
« Reply #74 on: September 30, 2006, 08:21:11 am »

If Leica did make lenses for the Hy6 system it would certainly give the product a boost, and maybe now that they own Sinar this could be something we'll see down the road.

Interesting to speculate about. Scheider, Zeiss and Leica lenses all for the same platform and choice of backs as well!

Michael

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
Leaf AFi MF Camera ?
« Reply #75 on: September 30, 2006, 08:32:57 am »

What leica could bring to the party is a rangefinder with a bit of rise and fall

Like an alpa that you can focus with and even maybe afford

(same lense mount same back mount - if the lenses are designed to cover 66 the is a bit of rise/fall there)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 08:33:29 am by Morgan_Moore »
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

nik

• Nick Vasilopoulos Photography
Leaf AFi MF Camera ?
« Reply #76 on: October 01, 2006, 07:47:04 am »

If Leica did make lenses for the Hy6 system it would certainly give the product a boost, and maybe now that they own Sinar this could be something we'll see down the road.

Interesting to speculate about. Scheider, Zeiss and Leica lenses all for the same platform and choice of backs as well!

Michael
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

We're all rather excited right now, me especially since someone posted availability of the Hy6 in April 07, not that too long of a wait. My concern is that they don't pull a 'Mamiya' and release it 18 months from now. Also, on the topic of Mamiya, where does this leave them? Even furher alienated in my view. It'll be interesting so see if PhaseOne provide  solutions for Mamiya AND the Hy6 in addition to producing products for the legacy Hasselblad H&V kit out there. Looks like they may HAVE to!

I remember reading one of Michael's posts where he mentioned Hasselblad 'could' close it's system, alienating other back makers, looks like the H1 & H2's will indeed become dinosaurs. Let's face it, Hasselblad are no longer 'Hasselblad', they've just got the good name. Victor would be pissed.

My money will be spent elsewhere, most likely the Hy6.

-----------------------------
Nick Vasilopoulos
[a href=\"http://www.stoqq.com]http://www.stoqq.com[/url]

geesbert

• http://www.randlkofer.com
Leaf AFi MF Camera ?
« Reply #77 on: October 01, 2006, 04:18:32 pm »

i handled the camera at the sinar booth, release date is first half of 2007, price is 3800€ body only. the rotating grip is way cool, it has three click stops for rotation. they only had the waist level finder, but it seemed that it feels ergonomically right in every position. i agree that the color schemme of the sinar model is awfull, but really different. unfortunately i am not sure about rotation of the back, but i remember that the rep told me it would be like the 645 film backs of the 6000 serie, that would means take-off-rotate-put-on. AF was slow, but it is way to early to judge...

definitely a camera whichs feels much more comfortable to my hands than the hasselblad H.

i hope the future will bring us a real-full-frame back for this format, i.e. 6x6 or rather 56mmx56mm with enough resolution that cropping doesn't hurt
-------------------------
[url=http://ww

pss

Leaf AFi MF Camera ?
« Reply #78 on: October 01, 2006, 09:16:13 pm »

hands on report with the Hy6:
here

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
Leaf AFi MF Camera ?
« Reply #79 on: October 02, 2006, 02:01:24 am »

Quote from: geesbert,Oct 1 2006, 03:18 PM
i handled the camera at the sinar booth, release date is first half of 2007, price is 3800€ body only. the rotating grip is way cool, it has three click stops for rotation. they only had the waist level finder, but it seemed that it feels ergonomically right in every position.

Hi
With the AF is it seperate from the shutter release like 645 AFDII, H1/2 & Contax?

Thanks Denis
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up