Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Telephoto Lens for Samsung Galaxy S7?  (Read 6966 times)

John Hollenberg

Telephoto Lens for Samsung Galaxy S7?
« on: February 21, 2018, 07:18:57 pm »

I had so much fun shooting in Mammoth with my Samsung S7 using Camera FV-5 to capture DNG files I want to look into expanding its capabilities.  I saw there is a Samsung wide angle and 2X telephoto option for about $90.00 on Amazon and a slew of other options from other companies.  Does anyone have any experience using any of these add on lenses?  Are any of them worthwhile?  Not looking for anything more than about 3X telephoto, which would be equivalent to around 90 mm on full frame DSLR.  Any input appreciated.

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
Re: Telephoto Lens for Samsung Galaxy S7?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 10:30:51 am »

John,

I have tried a cheapy set and the telephoto vignettes a lot, and the wide angle was crap on the edges, but I will need to look at the brand and see which one that was. However I did get some others but have not tried them, there seems to be a lot of variability for quality and a lot of variation for what people think are acceptable results. That is probably because my expectations are higher then most phone-togs.  The cheapy set was more a clip on set and that was wobbly and did not grip well. The other set I got was from Beastgrip and I have not tried them but using the Beastgrip makes it a lot easier and more stable, but it add bulk. That being said I also picked up an anamorphoric lens from the Beastgrip people with the wide angle and have not tested it too much yet, but I think that might be an interesting thing. I have a desire to play more with video as well as stills and that aspect ratio is pretty interesting. Need to make some time for some fun....

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

John Hollenberg

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 04:28:00 pm »

I am going to order the Samsung one from Amazon.  Hopefully it will be better quality since made by Samsung.  Overall the reviews are pretty good.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-Telephoto-Wide-Angle-Lenses/dp/B01E7VQNQC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1519334781&sr=8-3&keywords=samsung+s7+lens

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 10:12:37 am »

Interesting let us know how it works.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

John Hollenberg

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 03:11:57 pm »

Not available at Amazon right now, I don't think these lenses are made any more for the S7.  I believe they were discontinued.  However, there are some new ones still available on ebay from Australia (although they ship from the UK).  If they don't show up in stock on Amazon soon I will probably order from Ebay.

John Hollenberg

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 02:35:12 pm »

I thought it might be fun to do some macro work with my phone, looked at the available options and ordered this one as having best reviews:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A6D2JVI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2018, 10:14:47 am »

John, I have a similar lens and found it pretty poor optically, basically any of those multipart lenses seem to be poor optically but I hope you have found a good one. One of the things I am not fond of is those clip on mounts, they take a lot of screen area etc. I found a thin case that seems to solve this problem, they make it for various phone bodies. They do sell it for the S7 and it has a removable 37mm lens adapter, delivery was fast, they shipped same day I ordered from China, had it here is less than 5 days. Here is alink,
http://dckina.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4_321_323&products_id=1909

Got it this morning and it looks good. Will be testing it extensively this week.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

John Hollenberg

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2018, 07:32:04 pm »

One of the things I am not fond of is those clip on mounts, they take a lot of screen area etc. I found a thin case that seems to solve this problem, they make it for various phone bodies. They do sell it for the S7 and it has a removable 37mm lens adapter, delivery was fast, they shipped same day I ordered from China, had it here is less than 5 days. Here is alink,
http://dckina.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4_321_323&products_id=1909

Got it this morning and it looks good. Will be testing it extensively this week.

How is the lens adapter for the S7?

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2018, 02:05:21 pm »

The lens adapter works great it is a bargain. The case is very slim. The only drawback and it is not really a drawback for me is that the 37mm adapter ring blocks the led flash. It is nice that the adapter just screws on and off. Works great, shipping was super fast, had it in less than a week after ordering, they shipped the next day and I believe it took 3 days to get.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

John Hollenberg

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2018, 10:41:19 am »

The lens adapter works great it is a bargain. The case is very slim. The only drawback and it is not really a drawback for me is that the 37mm adapter ring blocks the led flash. It is nice that the adapter just screws on and off. Works great, shipping was super fast, had it in less than a week after ordering, they shipped the next day and I believe it took 3 days to get.

What lenses (if any) have you found to be of decent optical quality?

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2018, 11:29:58 am »

The Kenko Pro series 0.75x wide angle lens seems to be pretty decent. Not perfect but better than the two piece lenses, the ones that have a "macro" lens and then add a another lens on top of that. The Beastgrip Anamorphic lens is a good lens though specialized and it does by it's nature introduce some lens flaring. I believe Kenko makes a telephoto in their pro series but have not had a chance to get it. I am kind of out of commission for awhile. I slipped and broke my hip and knee so it will be at least another month or two before I am back at doing some shooting.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

Lennywat

• Hello
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2020, 10:11:59 am »

I found my lens here https://www.bestadvisor.com/iphone-camera-lens. Although they write that for iPhones, many are still suitable for Samsung
tu tu
Pages: [1]   Go Up