Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video Blogs  (Read 11626 times)

Sfleming

• http://
Video Blogs
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2006, 01:10:26 pm »

Still nothin.    

I have 10.4.7,  using Safari and my connection is by satelite.  hughes.net

Maybe it's Hughes that won't get me this video.  I get utube and google vids.  My download speeds are pretty consitantly 100kb ber second.

Any ideas?

« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 01:11:55 pm by Sfleming »

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Video Blogs
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2006, 01:45:25 pm »

Still nothin.   

I have 10.4.7,  using Safari and my connection is by satelite.  hughes.net

Maybe it's Hughes that won't get me this video.  I get utube and google vids.  My download speeds are pretty consitantly 100kb ber second.

Any ideas?

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=78285\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

As other people using Safari are receiving the videoblogs, I can only think that there is some security setting or firewall operating either in your computer, your router if you are using one, or at the level of your ISP that is intercepting this file format. If you have not investigated these possibilities it may be fruitful to do so.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

david75

• http://ennegativo.blogspot.com
Video Blogs
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2006, 06:23:37 pm »

Still nothin.   

I have 10.4.7,  using Safari and my connection is by satelite.  hughes.net

Maybe it's Hughes that won't get me this video.  I get utube and google vids.  My download speeds are pretty consitantly 100kb ber second.

Any ideas?

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Have you got the last version of Macromedia Flash Player installed?

[a href=\"http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash]http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/do...=ShockwaveFlash[/url]

leonvick

• http://www.plateaulight.com
Video Blogs
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2006, 12:20:54 am »

That's unfortunate - if you have access to a Windows XP system they'll show just fine.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=78050\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

They show just fine on OSX/Safari too, but on a 150kB downlink the videoblog on the HP Z printers took about half an hour. Thats too slow for watching any but the most significant reports.  And, I doubt that any version of Windows on the same link would do it any quicker...
Leon
Wherever I go, there I am.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
Video Blogs
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2006, 07:19:34 am »

They show just fine on OSX/Safari too, but on a 150kB downlink the videoblog on the HP Z printers took about half an hour. Thats too slow for watching any but the most significant reports.  And, I doubt that any version of Windows on the same link would do it any quicker...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=78704\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yup - a system is as good as its weakest critical link.

Sfleming

• http://
Video Blogs
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2006, 11:16:26 pm »

Thanks for trying to help guys.

My speed test with hughes satelite internet claims over 700KBS in peek hours.  I guess they are just lying.  When I download software it's pretty consistently around 100kbs as i've watched the counter.  I thought perhaps they were controlling the download speed at their end.  Who knows?

So I guess LL is for true high speed people now.  As well as true millionaires who can afford MF backs.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Video Blogs
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2006, 01:04:38 am »

The idea of videos is nice but alas, I cannot take advantage of them because I am on a slow dialup and don't have the bandpass needed to make it practical.

I am not complaining. If I drive a Volkswagen Bug I cannot expect Corvette drivers to slow down for me.   

Robert
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=78157\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I feel your pain Robert, the digital divide is widening.

I am selfishly glad to have a 100 Mbps optical fiber connection here in Tokyo, but I do remember very well my recent dial up days and how limiting it had started to become until I could switch.

The videos were very interesting by the way. It would be great to have a text version of them for those with a slower connection, but I am aware that this would be time consuming to do.

Regards,
Bernard

AdrianW

Video Blogs
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2006, 06:39:44 am »

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but I don't suppose we could have them in text - or just skip video entirely please?

I really dislike video as a method for online communication. If I wanted to watch TV I'd be watching a TV ;)

Reasons for my dislike? Well, primarily - video is an inherently slow format, and as an added drawback it's impossible to skip to the bits that interest you without watching the whole thing first. Also most online content seems to have been encoded at 3bits/sec - I'm not saying that's true here, I'm sure your quality is fine - but I haven't looked because despite the material covered being interesting, the method of presentation really isn't. Perhaps I'm just not cut out for LL...

michael

Video Blogs
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2006, 07:13:53 am »

Adrian,

Sorry that the videos aren't to your likeing. Feedback is running about 95% favourable, so I think this is something that I will stick with when the occasion warrents.

Text and video each have their place. Some things are better conveyed by one than the other. I'll be using both from now on as appropriate.

Michael

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
Video Blogs
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2006, 08:47:28 am »

The vids ROCK, a huge step UP in communications!  Thanks!

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
Video Blogs
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2006, 09:22:50 am »

I just wanted to add another comment about video presentations. I am of a divided mind about them. A video presentation is an attractive way to present new material but I don't find them useful as reference material. E.g., if there is a phrase or paragraph in a tutorial somewhere, it's easy to quickly click back and scan to that paragraph. A video presentation doesn't lend itself to that very well.

(A minor point is that I tend to scan what's new on the site while at work. Watching a video is less acceptable then reading something during a coffee break.)

Also, written content is more appropriate for substantial material that may need rereading over time. Watching videos more than once just doesn't work well for me.

We had this debate in the early 80's with technical IT training at one place I worked. Our boss maintained that visual and audio presentations transferred more bits per second to our brains than reading technical journals. This was true, I thought, but a lot of those extra bits have to be discarded to get to the meat.

People seem to like them though, as MR reports above, so it's hard to argue with that. It would be an interesting statistic to keep to see how often they are repeatedly referred to in the future, compared with written content.

When I read, I choose what's important; when I watch, the presenter does the choosing. For some things, it works, for other things, it doesn't. There are probably pedagological experts who can better explain why. I can't.

(Of course, it's just me, but I have only watched one of the recent Photokina blogs and stopped it partway through.)
--
Robert

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
Video Blogs
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2006, 09:58:01 am »

My speed test with hughes satelite internet claims over 700KBS in peek hours.  I guess they are just lying.  When I download software it's pretty consistently around 100kbs as i've watched the counter.  I thought perhaps they were controlling the download speed at their end.  Who knows?

So I guess LL is for true high speed people now.  As well as true millionaires who can afford MF backs.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=78850\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sfleming - just because you have an unresolved technical problem somewhere between your ISP and your monitor that not one other person responding to this thread has experienced, don't dump on people who are fortunate enough to have access to leading-edge equipment and are generous enough of spirit and time to share their knowledge over what is arguably one of the very best photographic educational resources on the planet. Enough is enough.

David Mantripp

• :: snowhenge dot net ::
Video Blogs
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2006, 11:59:37 am »

My speed test with hughes satelite internet claims over 700KBS in peek hours.  I guess they are just lying.  When I download software it's pretty consistently around 100kbs as i've watched the counter.  I thought perhaps they were controlling the download speed at their end.  Who knows?

So I guess LL is for true high speed people now.  As well as true millionaires who can afford MF backs.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=78850\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm quite familiar with Hughes DirecPC etc....    Your bandwidth is first likely to be throttled if concurrent usage is high (a drawback of satellite internet), and of course the 700kbs is from the Hughes uplink to your dish.  The end to end performance depends on the connection between the Hughes uplink and the site your are accessing.  There are also serious issues with streaming video due to latency - possibly these have been resolved, but basically the time delay it takes to bounce to geostationary orbit and back can look like timeouts to an unsuspecting webserver, and this really hits streaming.  With satellite as the last "mile" (actually the last 64000 or so km), you lose the benefit of multiple routing options offered by the normal internet.

And last time I looked, it may not cost as much as digital MF, but it is hardly cheap....

I suppose if you're using it, you've got no other option, but satellite internet is a total dead end.... satellites are very cost effective for broadcast, and very expensive for broadband unicast. Internet is unicast....
--
David Mantripp
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up