Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ICC Profiling failing z3200  (Read 2070 times)

sharadn

ICC Profiling failing z3200
« on: February 20, 2018, 07:08:08 pm »

Hello all. I have a 44" HPz3200 which I love. I am currently having trouble to get the end of the profiling process. It worked successfully for me last November but I have tried about 6 times now and after it prints the first set of patches and scans them it aborts the process and I get a message stating the color calibration failed due to scanning problems restart the process. I am newbie at troubleshooting and working on these things. I had a three year service contract that ran out in December of 2017. I have updated the firmware. It already had the latest but I went through the process again just to be certain. Any input to help me get beyond this issue is appreciated.

deanwork

Re: ICC Profiling failing z3200
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 07:53:00 pm »

I had this situation on my z3100, but it was 11 years old. I bought a new spectrometer from China via Ali Baba for about $300.00 and hired a local independent hp service company to install it. When we disassembled the printer and removed the original spectro, I saw that the glass window opening where the laser light source reads the color charts is was covered with black ink. It was blocked. All I had to do was clean it. But you have to remove the two side covers and front cover to access it. I just installed the new one I had bought, and it worked. I'm sure my original one is fine after cleaning the dried ink off.

With a new z3200 it is surprisingly that you are having problems. Usually spectro failures are at the bottom of the list of encountered hardware issues.

I would suggest trying to use some compressed air behind the print head assembly to eliminate any possible dirt or paper debris that may be blocking the sensor. It is however very difficult to access that area thououghly without tearing the printer apart. If you are mechanically inclined it isn't that difficult. If you need the service manual I found one online.

You need to be very careful messing around with the print head module though when cleaning things,  because if you pull on the trailing cable that connects the print heads to the head board in the back of the printer you can pull it out of its connection to that circuit board. Then you have an even more complicated issue to solve and the printer won't boot up at all. Same goes for cleaning the drive belt . I think I just did that on my older unit and I'm going to have to call in help again.

If you are not comfortable working on printers, I'm certainly not, I would search online for another extended warranty. Compared to Epson and Canon, they are really cheap and cover everything.

John

Hello all. I have a 44" HPz3200 which I love. I am currently having trouble to get the end of the profiling process. It worked successfully for me last November but I have tried about 6 times now and after it prints the first set of patches and scans them it aborts the process and I get a message stating the color calibration failed due to scanning problems restart the process. I am newbie at troubleshooting and working on these things. I had a three year service contract that ran out in December of 2017. I have updated the firmware. It already had the latest but I went through the process again just to be certain. Any input to help me get beyond this issue is appreciated.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 07:57:54 pm by deanwork »

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 06:34:11 am »

Check the scan process in total darkness, if you see no white light it could be the spectrometer door not sliding open for one reason or another. Misalignment to the patches could be the flaw in the next step when there is white light visible. For a better understanding see:
http://z3200.com/Spectrophotometer-ESP-HP-Z3200_Printers-Mark%20Lindquist.htm

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots

deanwork

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 02:30:53 pm »

Also it will fail if one or more of the inks are clogged ( which is rare but not unheard of ) . Print out a head check pattern and make sure that is not the case.

Check the scan process in total darkness, if you see no white light it could be the spectrometer door not sliding open for one reason or another. Misalignment to the patches could be the flaw in the next step when there is white light visible. For a better understanding see:
http://z3200.com/Spectrophotometer-ESP-HP-Z3200_Printers-Mark%20Lindquist.htm

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots

sharadn

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 06:27:50 pm »

Thanks for all the input. I will follow up and see what I can find out. A link to the repair manual would be helpful. I think with the manual I can deal with this.

deanwork

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 06:50:38 pm »

This is where I found it.

http://robogravure.com/hp-designjet-Z3200-service-manual.pdf

Thanks for all the input. I will follow up and see what I can find out. A link to the repair manual would be helpful. I think with the manual I can deal with this.

sharadn

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 07:59:43 pm »

Thank you

sharadn

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2018, 01:06:45 pm »

Today I pulled the ESP. As far as I can see it looks fine. Nice and clean. See the photo. I found a replacement. See the link below. In the photo you can see the mirror on the bottom but on mine you cannot. I wonder if the mirror shifted slightly and this failed the sensor. I am thinking that I ought to order a new one and replace it while I am in there. If anyone has any other ideas please share. I do not see anything obviously wrong with the ESP. Also please provide some feedback as what other maintenance I should perform while I have it torn down. Thanks in advance.
https://www.lpscomputer.com/collections/designjet-z3100-z3200-parts/products/q5669-60684-designjet-z3100-spectrophotomer-assembly

sharadn

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2018, 06:17:23 pm »

For any interested parties, I solved the problem. The ESP (color sensor) was bad and after I replaced it I was able to make a new ICC profile. Thanks to all who contributed,

deanwork

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2018, 06:58:49 pm »

I replaced my Specto unit on a z3100 last year. It was one I ordered from from China . It worked fine for many months. More recently I’m getting a error warning that it not working well .

Where did you buy that sensor and how much was it? My printer is torn apart right now while a guy replaces the belt and restores the printer so it’s a good time to replace that.

John

For any interested parties, I solved the problem. The ESP (color sensor) was bad and after I replaced it I was able to make a new ICC profile. Thanks to all who contributed,

sharadn

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2018, 08:07:12 pm »

This is the same seller that I purchased mine through. Used HP OEM. Good communication and quick shipping. I had it from the west coast in less than a week.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/162935736660?ViewItem=&item=162935736660

deanwork

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2018, 08:26:40 pm »

Thank you. So you mean the whole Specto used. Wondering if the z3200 version and the z3100 version is the same.

This is the same seller that I purchased mine through. Used HP OEM. Good communication and quick shipping. I had it from the west coast in less than a week.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/162935736660?ViewItem=&item=162935736660

sharadn

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2018, 09:18:23 pm »

I am quite sure that they are the same. Research part # for both z3100 and 3200 to confirm, but my understanding is that the parts are the same.
Pages: [1]   Go Up