Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: For Chris Sanderson  (Read 8883 times)

Rob C

For Chris Sanderson
« on: February 20, 2018, 05:24:55 am »

Chris, I'm very sorry you chose to close the "Photographers behaving" thread down.

There was absolutely no justification for that act. There was no anti-woman rhetoric whatsoever, if you care to reread, and the problem lay simply in the inability of some minds to grasp what was being communicated rather than listen to their own version of it playing out between their ears.

It is incomprehensible to me that a nation like the States can permit its children to be slaughtered, time after time, simply for the sin of going to school, will espouse an excuse such as "guns don't kill; people do" without taking in mind that indeed, people squeeze the triggers, but without those triggers to squeeze it would not, could not, happen.

Sure the nutters will always exist, but a knife against a class filled with chairs and folks willing to use them to overpower one asshole? Yet, this same society will do nothing to stop the source of the death: the gun. Do they imagine those "founding fathers", were they around in today's world, would have given carte blanche to the weaponry available? To think so indicates one must imagine them imbeciles.

Yet, in a conversation about male/female relationships, far more complex than any open and shut case such as the right to kill your neighbour at a few hundred yards, or right up in his face, voices scream from the roof and even down from the underbelly of Australia! Horrors! The realities of life must be denied and a fantasy version of it preserved and propagated instead, with any revelations of its falseness but a heresy most foul!

This, Chris, has turned into a very sad day. If LuLa is to be considered a playpen for the under-sixes, then please state so on the wrapper and one can choose or not choose to participate on that level. I am 80 years old, have lived this profession, photography, since 1960 and know on which side of the slice lies the jam. I see no point in attempting to share some of those experiences with a bunch of children, find and pass on links to photographic websites and books that I imagine could open the minds of many readers here who have not had my inevitably wider range of photographic experiences; in fact it would be quite inappropriate so to do. I am old and my time runs short. I do not want to waste more of it if I can avoid doing so.

I think this marks a moment for clarification.

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
Re: For Chris Sanderson
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 09:05:37 am »

I fully support Chris on this.  No other photography forum allows topics like this.  I have said it before and I'll say it again.  This is a forum with the focus on photography. Any other type of debate must be taken elsewhere.  Rob, I respect you, your work, your experience and especially your contributions to this site.  But the topic is a sensitive one and got off track and for the most part was not photo related.  I am a firm believer in the amazing contributions that women have made in the field of photography.  The first influential photographer that set me on my way was a woman, Barbara Blondeau . . .  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbara_Blondeau

I hope you continue to be part of our forum.  However, I received too many emails about this topic and we made a choice to close it even after we asked to use some moderation. 

Let's stay focused on photography. 

Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 11:31:34 am »

Chris, I'm very sorry you chose to close the "Photographers behaving" thread down.

There was absolutely no justification for that act.
I think this marks a moment for clarification.
Rob, the fact that I agree with you and hoped for more reasoned responses to your posts, still leaves the overriding reason for my having locked the thread:
sadly, discussions such as this are apparently now outside the possiblity of reasoned debate on this forum and elsewhere.

An outside observer might only have to spend 24 hours looking at American television to understand how the deep polarization of opinions and the subsequent inability to find logical and respectful disagreement have poisoned public discourse. This cuts to both sides of the political spectrum.

pearlstreet

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 11:39:34 am »

Rob, the fact that I agree with you and hoped for more reasoned responses to your posts, still leaves the overriding reason for my having locked the thread:
sadly, discussions such as this are apparently now outside the possiblity of reasoned debate on this forum and elsewhere.

An outside observer might only have to spend 24 hours looking at American television to understand how the deep polarization of opinions and the subsequent inability to find logical and respectful disagreement have poisoned public discourse. This cuts to both sides of the political spectrum.

Nevermind...I'm out of this boys club.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 11:55:10 am by Sharon VL »

Tony Ovens

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 01:43:39 pm »

Hey Rob
Please stick with it! That you "find and pass on links to photographic websites and books" and just as important, links to music, is what I look for most in this Forum. I for one appreciate hugely what you write.
Best regards
Tony

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 01:54:24 pm »

As one who "tried" to moderate a reasoned discussion of climate change on LuLa, I have to agree with Chris's comments above.  It's almost impossible to maintain an even keel discussion about controversial issues.  The particular one that was recently started goes beyond male/female relationships whether coerced or not as recently there were at least three cases I read about where male models were abused by male photographers.  Any inappropriate behavior is wrong and we should just leave it at that.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 02:27:10 pm »

Hey Rob
Please stick with it! That you "find and pass on links to photographic websites and books" and just as important, links to music, is what I look for most in this Forum. I for one appreciate hugely what you write.
Best regards
Tony

+1
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

elliot_n

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 03:00:58 pm »

Sad to see one of the few women posters (the only one?) driven out of this forum.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 03:28:21 pm »

Sad to see one of the few women posters (the only one?) driven out of this forum.

? ? ?

RSL

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 05:04:16 pm »

landscapephoto

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2018, 05:04:23 pm »

I will also regret the departure of Sharon.

RSL

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2018, 05:07:15 pm »

I'd hate to see Sharon go too, but let's face it, Rob didn't insult Sharon. He gave his views on the subject, views I might add that are based on an awful lot of experience with that particular subject. Sharon may not agree, but that's up to her.

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2018, 05:24:59 pm »

It's pretty simple why there are no female posters on LuLa.

Respect,
Tom Brown

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2018, 05:31:07 pm »

It's pretty simple why there are no female posters on LuLa.

Respect,
Absolutely. 

Farmer

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2018, 05:39:55 pm »

That some people feel that Sharon wasn't insulted by those comments is exactly the problem.
Phil Brown

Farmer

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2018, 05:43:01 pm »

And as for a "playpen for the under 60's", apart from the underlying insult that anyone under 60 is just a kid (a "playpen") my father and my father in law, both peers of the 80+ members, most certainly wouldn't find the descriptions used for women and the attitudes displayed as being acceptable, so don't kid yourself that it's an issue of age.
Phil Brown

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2018, 05:47:46 pm »

I think those posting in high dudgeon may benefit from a closer reading of posts and not just this one:

... If LuLa is to be considered a playpen for the under-sixes, then please state so on the wrapper

Two23

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2018, 07:23:02 pm »

There are way too many places on the internet to find pointless arguing.  Yahoo thrives on it.  HuffPo & AOL are so bad about bringing out the worst in people that I deleted all links.  There was a time after the fall of the Soviet Union that I thought maybe their media such as Pravda would become more balanced like those in the West.  Instead our media became more like Pravda--ideological, deceptive, and constantly sowing dissension.  The media and politicians wish to divide us back into "tribes," something they greatly profit from.  Our hobbies are the one thing they don't yet control, and are our greatest hope for reversing the damage the polarizers* are doing to civilization in general.  I too back Chris in his efforts to weed out needless provocation.  It seems silly for this forum in particular to engage in political poppycock because it's international.  All in all I enjoy everyone one here, even those who have not yet come to their senses and shoot Nikon.   The fact that not everyone here owns a Nikon disturbs me greatly, but that's a topic for another time.

Kent in SD

*Or for Rob, "polarisation." :)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 07:37:46 pm by Two23 »
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2018, 07:38:13 pm »

That some people feel that Sharon wasn't insulted by those comments is exactly the problem.

That people are insulted by a different opinion is exactly the problem.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2018, 07:47:03 pm »

There are way too many places on the internet to find pointless arguing...

I wrote this on another thread recently, but still quite valid:

Where else [but here] can I discuss such things not with total, mostly anonymous strangers, but with real people who I got to know over the years reasonably well, from their photography, to their musings and writings about photography, from their professional history to their family history, forming a pretty good idea of who they are, and forming a respect for what they did in their life and with their life? Those are the people I am willing to listen to, engage with, exchange opinions, even if we disagree (especially if we disagree). And stay friends even if we politely disagree. Those who can not disagree politely, should be banned and the offending post removed. Not the thread.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up