Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: mamiya lenses show C.A.?  (Read 3929 times)

ronno

mamiya lenses show C.A.?
« on: September 26, 2006, 12:42:11 am »

Hello, is there anyone here who uses both Mamiya lenses and Canon AF lenses? I am thinking about replacing my Canons with the ZD when it comes out, mainly to overcome the chromatic abberation and fringing issues with the Canon lenses.

Any info on this topic would be very helpful. Thanks.

-ron

paul_jones

• http://www.paulrossjones.com
mamiya lenses show C.A.?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 01:26:42 am »

Hello, is there anyone here who uses both Mamiya lenses and Canon AF lenses? I am thinking about replacing my Canons with the ZD when it comes out, mainly to overcome the chromatic abberation and fringing issues with the Canon lenses.

-ron
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=77738\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

i did a test with an 80mm and a 35mm with my H1, contax 645, and mamiya afd (at f11).
the contax and mamiys 80mms were way sharper than my H1. and the mamiya was a little sharper than the contax.
the 35mm test was a lot closer and needed to be studied a lot closely. i couldnt tell any diffence between the h1 and contax, but my friend chriss( a very experienced car photographer/ quality nut) was convinced the mamiya won there as well.

chriss had done a simlar test between contax and mamiya afd a few years back when he was trying to decide on a system, but he tried all the lenses (or close equivelents) and the mamiya was almost always sharper than the contax.

he was disapointed as the contax is such a nice camera. he bought the mamiya.

i think a lot of mamiyas bad quality reputation is based on its crappy plasticy exterior, and very few people have had the actual cameras side by side for testing.

i have a canon 1dsmk 2 and the wider leneses are really quite bad. as i shoot a lot of wide action/sports shots i see canons weakness over and over. i just live with it and hope they will release some better lenses soon.

paul
check my new website
[url=http://www.pau

paul_jones

• http://www.paulrossjones.com
mamiya lenses show C.A.?
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 01:32:48 am »

i did a test with an 80mm and a 35mm with my H1, contax 645, and mamiya afd (at f11).
the contax and mamiys 80mms were way sharper than my H1. and the mamiya was a little sharper than the contax.
the 35mm test was a lot closer and needed to be studied a lot closely. i couldnt tell any diffence between the h1 and contax, but my friend chriss( a very experienced car photographer/ quality nut) was convinced the mamiya won there as well.

chriss had done a simlar test between contax and mamiya afd a few years back when he was trying to decide on a system, but he tried all the lenses (or close equivelents) and the mamiya was almost always sharper than the contax.

he was disapointed as the contax is such a nice camera. he bought the mamiya.

i think a lot of mamiyas bad quality reputation is based on its crappy plasticy exterior, and very few people have had the actual cameras side by side for testing.

i have a canon 1dsmk 2 and the wider leneses are really quite bad. as i shoot a lot of wide action/sports shots i see canons weakness over and over. i just live with it and hope they will release some better lenses soon.

paul
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=77742\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

sorry i didnt read your post very well- i dont know if the mamiyas have worse CA than canon as i only tested the sharpness. i havnt come across much CA with my H1 compared with my canon (which can be very bad), if thats much help.

paul
check my new website
[url=http://www.pau

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
mamiya lenses show C.A.?
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 08:21:39 am »

-ron
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=77738\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I can't comment on Canon lenses, but as a ZD owner, with the 80mm and 35mm lenses, I can hopefuly comment on CA.

the 80mm is very sharp, with no noitceable CA.  In this repsct it is better than equivalent Nikon lenses I am familar with.  the 35mm has slight CA.  I use Silkypix to remove this on raw conversion.  CA is lower, and edge performance better, than equivalent 35m lenses I have used.

Quentin
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato

bcroslin

• http://www.bobcroslin.com
mamiya lenses show C.A.?
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 10:18:07 am »

As someone who owns and shoots both I can say that it probably has more to with the back you're shooting with than the glass. My Canon glass would only occasionally show CA when shooting in heavily back-lit situations but with my Valeo I'm seeing some level of CA in nearly everything I shoot with my 645AFD. I shot a job last week where much of the shoot was in the studio and I've got CA with both the 80 and 150 lenses. But here's the thing, in my experience CA has never been an issue when going to print. I've never felt compelled to try and fix the CA until shooting with the Valeo and even then it's nowhere near a deal breaker. I'm inclined to think that if the Canons I shoot with were 22 mp I might be able to notice more CA when blowing the images up in Photoshop 200%.

I will say that never in my life have I seen the kind of sharpness I'm seeing with my Mamiya/ Valeo combo when shooting Canon or Nikon. It's positively film-like.
Bob Croslin, Photographer
[url=http://ww
Pages: [1]   Go Up