Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Morning, A. Y. Jackson Lake, Killarney PP  (Read 1116 times)

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
Morning, A. Y. Jackson Lake, Killarney PP
« on: February 18, 2018, 11:52:20 am »

Out this morning with Kerry Little for sunrise. Another glorious winter morning, although not as cold as yesterday. This the 2.5 billion year old La Cloche Range behind the 1.5 billion year old pink granite - the place where two continents collided about a billion years ago. Love the Canadian Shield. We had a few terrific days of winter photography, camping here in the park.

I shot with the D800E, the Sony RX-10iii and the iPhone 8 Plus - which this shot is from (via Lr Mobile HDR-RAW).
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
Re: Morning, A. Y. Jackson Lake, Killarney PP
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 04:23:36 pm »

Simple and effective, I like it.

I think this image would make a good candidate for an outdoorsy type of advert, as there is plenty of good negative space to occupy with a banner etc and advertisers really like that sort of thing.

Dave

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 05:05:47 pm »

Dave put it very well.

Are you now planning to sell your D800E and RX-10iii because they aren't up to the iPhone?    ;D

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

luxborealis

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 02:43:00 pm »

Dave put it very well.

Are you now planning to sell your D800E and RX-10iii because they aren't up to the iPhone?    ;D

Eric

I am seriously considering selling my Nikon gear as the Sony, in particular, fulfills 95% of my needs. The iPhone also does an amazing job in so many other ways. While my creative passion is still there, I now realize how misplaced my desire for the highest possible IQ was compared to my needs. I’m not making colossal prints, so have little need for 36mp. I’ve come to realize just how much of that desire was spawned by pixel peeping on screen compared to the reality of where prints are hung and how much more significant emotional attachment becomes when selling prints. In reading equipment reviews today, one might just wonder how any good photo could have ever been produced back in the film days with such diminished DR, lens quality, accutance and resolution!

Thanks to all the tech wizards of today, the RX-10iii just about does it all as well as any 35mm film or even 24mp APS and FF today - at least in the context of what I do - photo books and prints up to 17” - and the iPhone isn’t far behind!

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 03:24:23 pm »

That's exactly the way I feel about my RX10iii, too. I did sell off my Canon gear, and I haven't lugged a tripod in a few years now.
Besides the Sony, I do have one Canon, a G5X semi-pocket camera for when even the Sony is too big to carry around.
And my wife now has an iPhone, so she has that covered.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Telecaster

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 04:40:32 pm »

I came to much the same conclusion after first viewing photos displayed on a friend's 4K TV. Basically I was looking at 33x22 inch "prints" from ~6 feet away, and there was spatial detail in the images I couldn't see unless I stuck my face right up to the screen. And this was from 7mp files. (To be fair, 7mp downsampled from 12mp & up sources.) Now print is a different medium, and the inkjet printing process needs more source data than an LCD or LED screen for the same output quality level at the same size. But I never print larger than 21x14" from a 3:2 image, and any properly shot & processed 12mp+ file can handle this just fine.

-Dave-

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2018, 12:06:52 pm »

I am seriously considering selling my Nikon gear as the Sony, in particular, fulfills 95% of my needs. The iPhone also does an amazing job in so many other ways. While my creative passion is still there, I now realize how misplaced my desire for the highest possible IQ was compared to my needs. I’m not making colossal prints, so have little need for 36mp. I’ve come to realize just how much of that desire was spawned by pixel peeping on screen compared to the reality of where prints are hung and how much more significant emotional attachment becomes when selling prints. In reading equipment reviews today, one might just wonder how any good photo could have ever been produced back in the film days with such diminished DR, lens quality, accutance and resolution!

Thanks to all the tech wizards of today, the RX-10iii just about does it all as well as any 35mm film or even 24mp APS and FF today - at least in the context of what I do - photo books and prints up to 17” - and the iPhone isn’t far behind!

Yet I seem to be going the other way, I too thought that 'pixel power' was an overhyped concept and it is the art of the shot that is more important than anything else and that all the famous and well known work from the past, is really low-res by comparison to even the cheapest cameras theses days and even some phones. Yet here I am using a 42mp chipped Sony with uncompressed raws and stitching together ridiculously large panos, that at native 300dpi resolution will comfortably print out at over six feet in length and often quite a lot more.

I suppose how it now works for me is, that if I get an image that I feel has something artistically satisfying within it (and hopefully for others too), then I also want it to be of a far higher resolution and size than anyone could ever want including myself. So what I usually tend to do these days, is after arriving at a scene I want to photograph, is take the 'artsy' single shots or series of shots, then take the 'OMG look at the size of that and the amazing detail within it' type of stitched pano shot.

But hey, everyone to their own as they say, it is just that there is something about super hi-res shots and being able to go into the detail, that is just so addictively satisfying, that it has me well and truly hooked I am afraid.

Yet I cannot see the point MFD, as it now looks to me to be so unnecessarily expensive and unnecessarily heavy in comparison to the hi-res Sony chipped sensored cameras available today. And don't get me wrong, I am no Sony fanboy, as you will know if you have read any of my rants against the camera over the last couple of years, but the sensor they built into it is just so amazing, that I have learnt to forgive just how annoying the rest of the camera and the menu system can be.

Dave  :)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 12:24:52 pm by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

guido

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2018, 01:00:12 pm »

I'm going the other way too. After a brief unsatisfying flirtation with some olympus gear (my Google Pixel does a better job as a pocket camera), I'm back with a 51mp Canon that I shoot only on a tripod. The IQ with the 5DSR and Canon glass just makes me smile. I've done stitched panos for years, but adding HDR to the toolkit really lets one loose to chase the image where ones mind's eye leads...

luxborealis

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2018, 05:54:26 pm »

Good discussion points, Dave and Guido. I know exactly where you’re coming from. There’s nothing quite like the beautiful tones and exquisite acuity of those large sensors. Perhaps if I had the time and energy, I would still be pursuing that type of photography. Maybe when I retire!
Pages: [1]   Go Up