Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon Pro-2000/4000 deckle-edge sheets?  (Read 1237 times)

Ryan Mack

• Ryan Mack on Facebook
Canon Pro-2000/4000 deckle-edge sheets?
« on: February 18, 2018, 09:32:46 am »

Is there any difficulty printing on deckle-edged cut sheets? I have no idea if it will cause the printer to detect skew or a misfeed or if it just works. The deckle-edged sheets are so expensive I'm wondering if I should just buy straight sheets and tear off the edges after I print.

I.T. Supplies

Re: Canon Pro-2000/4000 deckle-edge sheets?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 12:47:40 pm »

I don't believe this would be an issue with the Pro series since their paper feed detection is more accurate than the previous version and if it is skewed, most of the time it will correct it upfront.

I would recommend contacting Hahnemuhle since they provide the most options of Deckled Edge papers and they create profiles for the Canon printers to say for sure.  815-502-5880

robertDthomas

• Robert Thomas Photography
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 07:29:04 am »

The Hahnemuhle has a very nice but mild or small deckle.  Although I don’t have a Canon printer to test I have been able to sheet feed in my Epson P9000 and P800 without any misfeeds.  I had the same concern but was pleased that I did not have to do anything special.  I would be more concerned with damaging the printed image by trying to tear a deckled edge afterwards.

Ryan Mack

• Ryan Mack on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 09:09:05 am »

So far I've not done too much damage trying to tear things after printing. I'm thinking about tearing before hand too. Too bad the Pro-4000 can't do full bleed on cut sheets though, that might be fun to experiment with. The problem I have with the pre-made deckle sheets is they cost 2x as much and they only come in 2 sizes which really limits the control I have on the margins.

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 11:22:11 am »

The only issue with larger format printers (24" and wider) is that none of them can do borderless sheet printing; only rolls.  The 13" and 17" models can do borderless sheets otherwise.

There is a Dual Edge Ripper that acts as a "ruler" but with both sides of different types of deckle edge (one side less rigid and the other is more rigid).  It may be more cost effective to go with a roll and use the ripper from there in which it could be easier on paper selection that way and you can do full bleed.

robertDthomas

• Robert Thomas Photography
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 06:48:29 pm »

Ryan,

You raise an interesting approach with full bleed print on deckel edged papers.  Atlex is right that the large format printers cannot do full bleed on sheets but I have done full bleed on thin veneer’s by using a larger carrier sheet that I attached the veneer to with double sided tape.  You could do the same thing with a deckeled sheet attached to a larger sheet and then print full bleed across the deckeled paper. 

I found that full bleed did not look as good on veneer as it looked a lot better showing a border of the grain from the wood of about 1” all around.  But deckled sheets might be interesting.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 06:54:08 pm by robertDthomas »
Pages: [1]   Go Up