Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture One 10 - Canon 1Ds Mark lll vs 5D Mark IV  (Read 1642 times)

Dinarius

Capture One 10 - Canon 1Ds Mark lll vs 5D Mark IV
« on: February 18, 2018, 06:33:15 am »

Up to a year ago, I used a 1Ds Mark lll for about 9 years. For about the last three years of that, I processed with C1. I had no issues.

A year ago this month, I bought a 5D Mark IV. I didn't need the extra pixels (I have a multi-shot Hasselblad for that), I wanted to explore video.

To say that I'm not happy with C1 and the 5D Mk IV is an understatement, to put it mildly. And I'm surprised that more 5D users haven't raised issues.

My biggest crib with C1 and the 5D is that, when it comes to lens profiling, something is seriously lost in translation.

Two lenses I use a lot - Canon 17-40mm and Canon 50mm/2.5 Macro, are flawless with the C1/1Ds Mklll combo. Files from the 1Ds and these lenses, open with the BOTH distortion and (even more importantly, chromatic aberration, because C1's manual C/A correction override is crap) flawlessly corrected. There simply isn't any of either visible.

Secondly, (and maybe this has something to do with C1's handling of bigger files/more pixels, I don't know) rendering of changes with the 1Ds files is seamless. For example, drag the middle of Curves up or down, at any speed you like (this computer is very fast) and the luminosity changes, but nothing else does. It's seamless. But, with the 5D files, everything goes out of focus, and has to settle down once you release the mouse.

I'm uploading two files. They were both shot with the 17-40mm lens. The art installation is the 1Ds. The kitchen interior is the 5D.

Please try the following:

1. Open the files in C1 (if you're using C1 11, please tell me. I'm still C1 10)

2. Ensure that everything in the files is zeroed out.

3. Check the lens tab. Is the lens recognised? It should be. But, that's where it ends for me with the 5D, but not with the 1Ds.

4. Is the art install fully corrected by default? It is on my computer.

5. But, is the kitchen interior distorted? It is for me. What corrects it? About 100% on the slider?

6. While the distortion can be corrected manually, CA cannot. That's the real nightmare for me, and is what has me on the point of giving up C1.

7. In the Color Tab, switch Base Characteristics to Linear (I always process this way now.) Does extreme use of any corrections to the 1Ds file (the art install) occur smoothly and clearly? They do for me. But, are the 5D corrections ugly and jumpy? They are for me.

I also use a Sony RX100 and I still have files from its predecessor, a Canon G1 9. C1 handles the files from both superbly.

The problem is with the 5D - my workhorse camera. For me, item number one on the edit list is perfect lens correction, or the ability to override it manually. With C1 10 and the 5D, I have neither.

I've heard good things about DxO and lenses. But, before I download a trial....

As I say, I'm amazed that more people haven't raised issues about C1 and the 5D.

Here are the files...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ggdyb09puj0d8gc/_07A4233.CR2?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nnlc9ezi38qmwh8/_J2Y0214.CR2?dl=0

Thanks.

Ps.

In my experience, C1 is even worse with Tilt/Shift lenses and the Mark IV. With the 1Ds and my 45mm T/S, there is green fringing. Selecting the CA correction (whic isn't selected by default since the 45mm lens is only recognised as "Generic") with a 1Ds file removes the green fringing, but then introduces purple fringing. This can be removed by C1 using the purple fringing slider. CA correction does not work at all with the Mark IV/45mm combination. I've read that more pixels make CA more difficult to remove with T/S lenses. Fine, so sort it out, or introduce strong, fully manual correction, as a fallback.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 09:08:25 am by Dinarius »

one iota

Re: Capture One 10 - Canon 1Ds Mark lll vs 5D Mark IV
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 04:01:45 pm »

Hi Dinarius,

I've explored your files and I don't have the issues you describe at least not with C1 v11.

I also don't experience any problems with my large 5Ds files.

I feel your frustration though....I went through some of this with DxO in the early days. And while we are there there is no doubt DxO does a great job with lens correction. However I find C1 superior when it comes to highlight and shadow recovery.
Mahn England

Dinarius

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 11:29:39 am »

Someone sent me a Sony a7r iii RAW file.

Smooth as glass in C1. No matter how much you push/pull sliders, transitions are seamless with no loss of detail.

The image behaves just like a 1Ds Mark lll file. No popping in and out of focus during edits.

There is definitely something that C1 10 doesn't like about the 5D Mark IV. The user experience isn't a patch on the Sony or the earlier Canon.

But, based on experience, no point in complaining. It's Phase's way or the highway.

D.

Paul Steunebrink

• Image Alchemist
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 09:43:53 am »

On CO11 Mac, no problems indeed. Lens is recognised. I suggest you run the CO11 trial. The under the hood performance improvements are worth it already.

That said, I am amazed how good the images look with the Canon 17-40mm zoom on the 5D. This lens is around quite some time and distortion is huge, in particular at the wide side, IIRC.

Interesting you also have the TS 45mm, me too. And use the linear response film curve. I will open a thread on that shortly.

Dinarius

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 10:46:32 am »

On CO11 Mac, no problems indeed. Lens is recognised. I suggest you run the CO11 trial. The under the hood performance improvements are worth it already.

That said, I am amazed how good the images look with the Canon 17-40mm zoom on the 5D. This lens is around quite some time and distortion is huge, in particular at the wide side, IIRC.

Interesting you also have the TS 45mm, me too. And use the linear response film curve. I will open a thread on that shortly.

Paul, thanks for the reply.

The 17-40mm is good at f11. Ditto the 45mm t/s.

When you say the lens is recognised - which one? The 17-40? Same for me. But, CA isn’t auto corrected for either lens - you have to manually select it. It is auto corrected for 1Ds files. Also, CA on the 45mm t/s
is totally eliminated by C1 for 1Ds files, but oddly not for 5D MkIV files.

And the shimmer (loss of focus) that occurs during adjustments of 5D files, occurs for none of the four other cameras.

Thanks.

D.
Pages: [1]   Go Up