Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Suddenly LR Can't See ICC Profiles in Library>ColorSync>Profiles - Mac  (Read 6763 times)

BradSmith

Mac and Epson P800.  For the first time starting today, LR 5, Photoshop 5 and ColorSync can't find most of my profiles on my Mac. I keep all my non-Epson paper OEM & custom profiles for my Epson P800 (papers from Epson, Hahn, Canson, Red River, and Ilford) in:  Boot Drive>Library>ColorSync>Profiles. My Epson profiles are in the driver package in Boot Drive>Library>Printers>Epson>InkjetPrinter2>ICCProfiles folder.  In the past, all these profiles were seen and available. They are all still there. 

As of today, LR, Photoshop and ColorSync can only see the Epson profiles in the driver package in Boot>Library>Printers>Epson>>etc.  I copied 3 or 4 profiles for another OEM's paper and put them in there too.  LR couldn't see those.  None of of the apps see ANY profiles in Library>ColorSync>Profiles. 

There doesn't seem to be a way to direct any of these applications to look for profiles in a user directed manner.  I've started and restarted LR with no change.

Any ideas??
Brad

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Suddenly LR Can't See ICC Profiles in Library>ColorSync>Profiles - Mac
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 08:14:32 pm »

In Lr's Print Module, in the Print Job menu at the bottom right, do you have "Print To" set to "Printer"? For "Color Management" beside "Profile", if you open that menu, when you go to the bottom item that says "Other" and click on it, does it take you to the list of your profiles? Or are you saying that whole list is gone? Did you recently change the version of Lr you are using? If so, perhaps the upgrade install failed to pick-up your profiles. Perhaps you should re-select the ones you need in Lr from that menu of profiles you should get when you click on "Choose" in the Profiles drop-down, then close Lr, re-open it and see whether they appear when you try to select a profile. 
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

BradSmith

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 10:11:08 pm »

Mark,
I'm set to Print to: Printer.  In the Print Job menu, where I'd choose the profile, if I click "other" I see ONLY the list of profiles in the epson driver package (Boot Drive>Library>Printers>Epson>InkjetPrinter2>ICCProfiles folder) but none of my profiles that I've always been able to access (Hahn, Ilford, Canson, etc) in Boot Drive>Library>ColorSync>Profiles. No recent LR upgrade or anything else.

I've attached three screenshots.
First is the window in LR that pops open when I want to choose an "Other" Profile.  It only shows Epson driver package profiles.
Second is the window showing the Profiles that ColorSync can find.  Again, only the Epson driver package profiles.
Third is a ColorSync window that can see the other profiles.  I got this by "opening" a Hahn profile at the Finder level and here, ColorSync can find and see its contents normal.

Really weird
Brad

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 10:46:07 pm »

Totally weird. Never seen that before. The only suggestion I can make would be to uninstall and reinstall Lr and see whether the re-install picks up the profiles. You do have them stored in the right place, so they should be available.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 10:55:57 pm »

Second is the window showing the Profiles that ColorSync can find.  Again, only the Epson driver package profiles.

I can only see the 3rd screen shot you mentioned.

However this statement to me indicates you have a system problem, not a LR problem. Somehow your system isn't seeing your ColorSync folder correctly.  If it was a LR problem then ColorSync should find them OK.

BradSmith

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 11:05:31 pm »

Mark and Wayne,
Sorry, but the first two screen shots didn't go through.  Here they are again.

Mark, I'll give a re-install a try. 
Brad

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 11:06:50 pm »

Yes Wayne - that does make sense. Brad should clarify - is it only through those photo apps that you don't see your profiles in their correct folder, or are they also not visible in Colorsync>Profiles when using Finder? If they aren't visible via Finder then yes, a system issue. Check your Trash and see whether they ended-up there for some unknown reason.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2018, 11:12:30 pm »

OK, I think I see what the issue *may* be. Your own profiles should be stored in MacintoshHD (if this is your working application drive)>Library>Colorsync>Profiles. If part of the path starts with or includes the word "System" it's the wrong file path.

BradSmith

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2018, 12:30:31 am »

Mark,
From my original post......"I keep all my non-Epson paper OEM & custom profiles for my Epson P800 (papers from Epson, Hahn, Canson, Red River, and Ilford) in: Boot Drive>Library>ColorSync>Profiles."   This is what you are saying I should be doing, correct????
Brad

BradSmith

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2018, 12:36:59 am »

........or are they also not visible in Colorsync>Profiles when using Finder? .

In the Finder, when I open ColorSync>File>New Window, I can't see them.  I see what is in the photo I uploaded.   Yet if I select one of the so called missing profiles in the Finder and then "Open With"  Colorsync, ColorSync starts up and properly opens the detail panel of all the technobabble about the profile.  I uploaded a photo of that window also.  I give up for tonight.  The battle will be joined again in the am.
Brad

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2018, 04:32:26 am »

Brad.

First a question. In the Installed ColorSync Profiles I notice that the "User" folder isn't expanded.  Perhaps you can expand it to see what profiles are in this folder.  Are the profiles there ?

ColorSync profiles are stored in one of two places Boot Drive>Library>ColorSync>Profiles and in Boot Drive>Users>[YOURUSERNAME]>Library>ColorSync>Profiles.

You need to check both locations.  If the profiles are in one of these two locations then I suggest you try re-setting Lightroom's preferences before a re-install.  Instructions on how to do this can be found here: Reset Lightroom Preferences (Lightroom Queen) .

I'm sure you realise that in the list of profiles shown in Lightroom you need to have them checked to show-up in either the Print or Develop modules.  I have found sometimes that once a new profile has been checked it is necessary to re-start Lightroom before it shows-up in the Develop/Print module.

I hope this helps.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2018, 11:02:59 am »

Mark,
From my original post......"I keep all my non-Epson paper OEM & custom profiles for my Epson P800 (papers from Epson, Hahn, Canson, Red River, and Ilford) in: Boot Drive>Library>ColorSync>Profiles."   This is what you are saying I should be doing, correct????
Brad

Does "boot drive" mean MacintoshHD? Same place where your applications are stored? The Colorsync folder should contain 2 folders: Profiles and Scripts. If so, we're on the same page.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2018, 11:15:18 am »

In the Finder, when I open ColorSync>File>New Window, I can't see them.  I see what is in the photo I uploaded.   Yet if I select one of the so called missing profiles in the Finder and then "Open With"  Colorsync, ColorSync starts up and properly opens the detail panel of all the technobabble about the profile.  I uploaded a photo of that window also.  I give up for tonight.  The battle will be joined again in the am.
Brad

Brad, I'm on El Capitan, but this has been the same since I first bought a Mac in the Snow Leopard days so I assume it is immune to OS changes. I get to my profiles using MacintoshHD>Library>Colorsync>Profiles. (There is no Colorsync>File>New Window entering the picture.) Simon is correct that there are (at least) two places where profiles can be stored: The one I have in bold here is the system level; the other Simon mentions is the user level. Normally Lr picks up both, so you see the same profile listed twice in the Lr dropdown menu for choosing "Other" profiles. If your profiles are not in the path I have in bold here, put them there, then open Lr, go to "Other" in the profiles dropdown and see if they appear.

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2018, 12:22:43 pm »

Does "boot drive" mean MacintoshHD? Same place where your applications are stored? The Colorsync folder should contain 2 folders: Profiles and Scripts. If so, we're on the same page.

The boot drive can be another external drive attached to the Mac as well as the internal ‘MacintoshHD’.  Currently I am booting from an external SSD attached to a USB port.  You can boot from a drive attached with Thunderbolt connection and, in days of yore, Firewire.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2018, 01:15:57 pm »

The boot drive can be another external drive attached to the Mac as well as the internal ‘MacintoshHD’.  Currently I am booting from an external SSD attached to a USB port.  You can boot from a drive attached with Thunderbolt connection and, in days of yore, Firewire.

Yes true, these days that is becoming more common than in times past. To be clear, what I'm essentially getting at is whether the file path to the profiles is the same path that the imaging applications know where to look for them.

BradSmith

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2018, 01:32:14 pm »

Simon and Mark,
Sorry about how my renaming MacHD to Boot Drive has caused confusion.  Mark, you and I are on the same page.  My large profile folder with all my non-Epson profiles (as well as where my apps are) is in the same drive.  Where it has always been and where most everyone agrees is the "normal" location.  But suddenly, the three apps I mentioned can't see them. But......

Based on comments you both made about the "User" path also being acceptable, I duplicated my profiles folder and put it into
Boot Drive>Users>My Name>Library>ColorSync>Profiles.  Now all three applications can see them! .

I can't imagine why the Boot Drive>Library path no longer works, but your suggestions at least have me up and running again.
Once again, the value of this forum on LULA is evident.  Imagine trying to post this problem on an Adobe or Apple forum somewhere to get this type of detailed knowledge.  It would have been really ugly!

Thank you both very much

Brad

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2018, 02:13:23 pm »

You are welcome; wonderful, glad you are back in business. But it may be worthwhile pursuing with resources in the Apple environment why the system level Colorsync>Profiles suddenly evaporated on you. On the face of it, makes no sense. In case you did something inadvertent without realizing, would be good to know for future reference.

robertDthomas

• Robert Thomas Photography
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2018, 08:19:17 pm »

I have had the same happen to me twice on my P9000 and once recently on my P800.  When this occurred the second time on my P9000 I posted to the Printing forum and you can follow here:http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=121974.msg1016246#msg1016246

After you read through this forum string I can tell you that if you copy the profiles from Library/Printers/Epson/Inkjectprinter2 over to Library/Colorsync/profiles I was not getting the right colors but I did see the profiles and was able to select them in LR.  SO if you have done that print a good calibration print to check the colors are what you expect.

The only way to resolve this for me was to delete (-) the printer from the system preferences/printers & scanners and then (+) add it back in it.  A quick and simple process but still don't know why it happens.

BradSmith

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2018, 12:57:14 pm »

Robert,
Our issues were different.  It sounds like you were finding your profiles in "new" places AND getting strange colors when you printed using them.  My profiles were exactly where they've always been and in their "recommended" locations:
-->Epson package containing all of their profiles for their papers in the HD>Library>Printers>Epson>InkjetPrinters2
-->All other paper company profiles in HD>Library>ColorSync>Profiles.
Suddenly one day when I went to print in either LR or Ph Shop or looked for profiles using ColorSync app, they did NOT show up in the Library>ColorSync path.  Even though they were there, the apps couldn't "see" them.

I had to move all the other paper profiles from the Library>ColorSync path to the HD>Users>MyName>ColorSync>Profiles path for them to be seen/used by the apps.   
Brad

robertDthomas

• Robert Thomas Photography
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2018, 07:21:36 am »

Brad,

I probably did not describe correctly my situation.  I like you found that the profiles were in their correct locations but in my case Lightroom could not find them when I tried to print.  This was limited to the standard Epson profiles and when I tried to select them in lightroom they are not in the list to select from.  The mistake I probably made was to copy the Epson profiles from their HD>Library>Printers>Epson>InkjetPrinters2 location to:HD>Users>MyName>ColorSync>Profiles.  Once I did this I was able to 'see' and select the profiles in Lightroom when printing.  Problem was that when I did this I was getting poor color accuracy.  This was probably not the correct method.  When I deleted then added back the printer the profiles were registered properly and shown in LR from their correct location of:HD>Library>Printers>Epson>InkjetPrinters2 and colors were correct.  I guess my mistake was to try to copy the profiles over to a different location and they may not have been installed and registered correctly.  Still don't know why one day they were not visible (linked?) to LR even though they were still located in their proper location of HD>Library>Printers>Epson>InkjetPrinters2.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up