Snow
« on: February 17, 2018, 11:46:23 am »

Snow

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
Re: Snow
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 03:28:01 pm »

My favorite is the first, Armand. That being said, IMHO, the bluish cast detracts. Compare with the second.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 04:21:17 pm »

Thanks. The light was weird, the difference in WB between them is quite small, 5650 w/ +4 tint on the first one and 5400 w/ +14 tint on the second. Different cameras though, Nikon D750 for the first and Fujifilm X-T2 for the second, shot roughly 15 min apart.
I like it this way but will play with it more and see what I can come up with.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 04:24:46 pm »

Here is a similar frame shot with Fuji instead but 12 min later, already different light. But yet not the same as 3 min later when a blizzard started and the sun disappeared.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 06:15:10 pm »

Easiest way to deal with WB

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 03:27:07 am »

They both look better in b&w, and the looser crop on the second also improves it. I think you could get a little more drama out of them in the conversion, though. There is a lot of detail visible in the sky in the colour, which isn't making itself felt in the monochrome.

Jeremy

armand

• Photos
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 01:03:11 pm »

They both look better in b&w, and the looser crop on the second also improves it. I think you could get a little more drama out of them in the conversion, though. There is a lot of detail visible in the sky in the colour, which isn't making itself felt in the monochrome.

Jeremy

This is something I often struggle with.
The mood felt very peaceful (or maybe it was the jet lag) and that's what I was trying to convey and I don't always seriously consider different interpretations that might fit the image better than my initial impression.

Here are a couple more versions, one with a focus on the mood and the other on drama. I do have a tighter frame with more focus on the tree but I felt the more menacing/unfriendly rocks around it accentuate its survival drama.

PS. the way I thought this is drama on one hand, a small tree surviving where you would not expect it, and yet a soft, peaceful light on the other. Hence my difficulty to convey both, should that be even the right choice. Usually I don't put that much thought into this but this one stroke a chord.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 01:11:53 pm by armand »

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 05:08:33 pm »

I prefer "mood." In fact, to me, "mood" has both mood and drama.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

armand

• Photos
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 07:57:40 pm »

I prefer "mood." In fact, to me, "mood" has both mood and drama.

I agree. Thank you all for the comments, probably I wouldn't have explore it further.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2018, 10:35:20 pm »

I realize I forgot to add the tighter version with more focus on the tree but less context. B&W for consistency. This is how I wanted initially the shot when I took it but I decided more context is better.

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2018, 09:39:53 am »

but I decided more context is better.
Good choice IMHO.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2018, 03:30:12 am »

I realize I forgot to add the tighter version with more focus on the tree but less context. B&W for consistency. This is how I wanted initially the shot when I took it but I decided more context is better.

Perhaps I ought to have used the word "detail" rather than "drama". This version has a much better sky than the earlier b&w.

More context is certainly better here. I suspect it's better in most places, in fact. I'm beginning to realise that lack of context and an over-concentration on the "thing" is one of the biggest flaws in my photography. Live and learn.

Jeremy
Pages: [1]   Go Up