Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Switch from 2 monitors to 1, 27"+ ?  (Read 826 times)

johnkiv

• JohnKishIV photography
Switch from 2 monitors to 1, 27"+ ?
« on: February 16, 2018, 12:02:51 pm »

I am currently using 2 monitors, (24" and 21") which are showing their age.  I find the 2nd screen useful at times running lightroom.  I am thinking about a new screen, 27" to 32" and dropping the second screen.  Has anyone made the change.  I understand you can run 2 windows on one screen.

Thanks John

Peter McLennan

Re: Switch from 2 monitors to 1, 27"+ ?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 12:25:23 pm »

I wouldn't give up my second monitor unless my desk shrank.  They're both 27".  Using a single monitor system now seems far too confining.  Moving the interface elements around in order to see the image is distracting and counter productive.

High image quality monitors are very inexpensive now.  When my 27" ($1500 new) profiled and calibrated NEC Multisync died recently and NEC said that it wasn't cost effective to repair it, I replaced it with a $300 IPS Acer. This was a difficult decision, given my previous stellar experience with NEC customer service. 

But the proof is in the pudding. the Acer is just as colour responsive in LR and PS, my pictures look just as good on-screen, and my prints are still coming out as I expect them to.  My second monitor, a $200 Acer, is used for app user interfaces and file management.  It, too looks great, but is lower res.  1920X1080.  This ensures that the fonts in the user interfaces and in Windows are big enough for 72 year old eyes to see.  :)

Actually, I have to come clean here. :) I have three 27" monitors.  Two lower-res monitors flank the center higher-res one. Egregious, I know, but really fun. A $200 indulgence.

johnkiv

• JohnKishIV photography
Re: Switch from 2 monitors to 1, 27"+ ?
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 09:00:06 am »

Thanks Peter.  You are making me rethink going with a 32" screen. I may just replace my 24 with a 27.

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up