Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ice caves  (Read 1173 times)

armand

• Photos
Ice caves
« on: February 15, 2018, 09:10:47 pm »

Ice caves

I wasn't properly prepared for what it involved and the antediluvian rain prior to getting there combined with very limited shooting time didn't allow me to recover. This is the best I could do, more like a proof of concept.
- I shot almost the entire first half at ISO 6400.
- I left the regular tripod at home and only used a small Pedco Ultrapod, kind of stupid thinking back
- it turns out the bracketing maxes out at 30 sec on my X-T2 although I can manually set in camera a longer exposure time; I found this at home
- water was dripping everywhere and the 10-24 has a bulging element; I had a couple of lens cleaning cloths but both got soaked in the rain prior, in my pockets. Clothing doesn't work so well  ;)

Question: would you get a similar result if you shoot multiple shorter exposures at higher iso and combine them in Photoshop vs a long one at base iso?

farbschlurf

• fototypo
Re: Ice caves
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 07:27:33 am »

The "location" is incredible, of course. Surreal. Good you included the shot with the person, I wouldn't have no clue of how the scale is. Will you be able to go there again, prepared? Was it a kind of a guided tour? Isn't that dangerous?

Do you mean multiple high-iso frames handheld to overlay/normalise them in post to get rid of the noise? Maybe there are others (astro-guys?) with more experience and knowledge, I tried that few times and was rather disappointed, but maybe I did something wrong.

degrub

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 08:18:21 am »

not if there is any movement which clearly the water is.  The earth's rotation rate limits the time a sensor can be exposed without visible star trails. Stacking enhances signal to noise ratio by canceling the assumed random thermal noise in the sensor at 1/2 of a bit per image pair.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 11:13:52 am »

A great set, worth all your suffering (from my point of view).

As a stand-alone image, my favorite is #3.

-Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

armand

• Photos
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 11:48:54 am »

Stacking enhances signal to noise ratio by canceling the assumed random thermal noise in the sensor at 1/2 of a bit per image pair.

English please? I think I know what you are saying but could you state in plain language? Thank you.

What I care the most is if you going to get similar or close enough results shooting multiple shorter exposures, likely in combination with a higher ISO, versus a long exposure at base ISO. This would be to compensate for people moving in and out of frame (easier to take shorter shots when they are not in the frame) or for camera movement.
Lets say movement is not an issue, ISO 200 x 60 sec versus 5 exposures @ ISO 800 x 3 sec. Interested more in exposure and noise and less in DR.

A great set, worth all your suffering (from my point of view).

As a stand-alone image, my favorite is #3.

-Eric

Thank you. Don't get me wrong, the suffering wasn't thee, I enjoyed the experience. It did make my photography much more difficult though and as I said I wasn't properly prepared for it to start with.
The third is technically the best of everything I got, probably the only one that's competitive at some extent.
Pages: [1]   Go Up