Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuji X-H1 announced  (Read 10124 times)

Rand47

Fuji X-H1 announced
« on: February 15, 2018, 11:58:13 am »

Fuji X-H1 formally announced as new "flag ship" camera body.  Improved build quality for increased ruggedness.  Enhanced video capability.  5 stop in-body image stabilization which will also work in conjunction with any of the OIS lenses.

Preview:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cRs_1_0f08

Mine is pre-ordered!  Shipping on March 1.

Rand

Rand Scott Adams

rdonson

Re: Fuji X-H1 announced
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 12:25:26 pm »

Do you already shoot video?

Lots of nice new features like IBIS, larger body, better focus on video, etc.   I'm just not sure if they matter enough for me to upgrade from my X-T2.  I may wait to see what the X-T3 brings.
Regards,
Ron

BJL

Re: Fuji X-H1 announced: IBIS + lens IS; video push
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 12:25:49 pm »

Fuji X-H1 formally announced as new "flag ship" camera body.  Improved build quality for increased ruggedness.  Enhanced video capability.  5 stop in-body image stabilization which will also work in conjunction with any of the OIS lenses.
Interesting; and with a clear push for not only video but cinematic-grade video, when you note the related expansion of Fujifilm's cine-lens line.

Am I right that this is Fujifilm's first offering on sensor-shift IS? So now every one except the "old guard" (Canon, Nikon, Leica) offer both sensor-shift and lens-based IS, capable of working in tandem. And high quality EVF cameras of course.

DP

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 12:33:30 pm »

5 stop in-body image stabilization which will also work in conjunction with any of the OIS lenses.

except when OIS of Fuji lenses takes over IBIS those 5 stops will drop a lot...

16-55 w/o OIS, w/ IBIS = 5+ stops
18-55 w/ OIS and IBIS where OIS takes over certain axis compensation = 3.5 stops

Hilarious !

somebody glue that OIS dead shut.

PS: and OIS in 10-24 will drop you to 2.5 stops... so what gives ? can't we just knock that OIS off

DP

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 12:37:31 pm »

Lots of nice new features like IBIS, larger body, better focus on video, etc.   I'm just not sure if they matter enough for me to upgrade from my X-T2.  I may wait to see what the X-T3 brings.

EFCS + gentler shutter... and praise Fuji - you can set the exposure time where EFCS will switch off and turn into a classical mech. all curtains shutter... Sony shall learn something from this

and PDAF sensitivity after so many years finally matching Sony A6500... Fuji is finally on record stating that X-T2 PDAF was rated only for >= 0.5 EV (X-H1 >= -1EV, Sony A6500 >= -1EV,  Sony A7R2 >= -2EV, Sony A7R3 >= -3EV)... no wonder Fuji barely functioned speedwise in a dim light

armand

• Photos
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 01:39:47 pm »

Interesting; and with a clear push for not only video but cinematic-grade video, when you note the related expansion of Fujifilm's cine-lens line.

Am I right that this is Fujifilm's first offering on sensor-shift IS? So now every one except the "old guard" (Canon, Nikon, Leica) offer both sensor-shift and lens-based IS, capable of working in tandem. And high quality EVF cameras of course.

This is after claiming for about 2 years that IBIS will degrade image quality for them as the designed image circle for their lenses doesn't accommodate for it.
I would really want to hear an explanation for this, so far the options are:
a) that was BS
b) expect worse image quality in the corners

EFCS + gentler shutter... and praise Fuji - you can set the exposure time where EFCS will switch off and turn into a classical mech. all curtains shutter... Sony shall learn something from this

and PDAF sensitivity after so many years finally matching Sony A6500... Fuji is finally on record stating that X-T2 PDAF was rated only for >= 0.5 EV (X-H1 >= -1EV, Sony A6500 >= -1EV,  Sony A7R2 >= -2EV, Sony A7R3 >= -3EV)... no wonder Fuji barely functioned speedwise in a dim light

Yes, it does struggle in lower light. It might get it but it slows down considerably.

The EFCS on/off based on exposure time shows that they get it. Their current autoISO implementation is the best (I could maybe get close on Nikon if I were to use the U1 and U2 settings but I don't), you have 3 auto ISO settings which I mapped to one of the 4-way controllers. It would be perfect if you can change to auto one to be 1/2-3FL to 2-3/FL instead of just 1/FL.

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 02:01:34 pm »

X-T2 132.5 X 91.8 X 49.2 mm, 457g weight
X-H1 139.8 X 97.3 X 85.5 mm, 673g weight

Statement of the obvious; more inside -> bigger and heavier.

I like the smaller and lighter, and as I am not into video ( serial input to brain rather than parallel input of a still), I will stick with my X-T2.  No IBIS does not worry me, wind up the ISO or dig out the tripod.  Love the prime lenses.  Others will like the new camera, I'm sure.

Jonathan
Jonathan in UK

DP

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2018, 02:01:53 pm »

what I still can't understand - why in the world Fuji did not opt for PDAF to cover more of the sensor area from the very beginning ? did Sony Semi charge them extra $ ? literally per each PDAF point ? now of course they might simply want to continue cost saving by using the same sensor as in X-T2

DP

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2018, 02:04:36 pm »

wind up the ISO

it does not help w/ exposure (for raw shooters) ... it might help w/ readout noise a little when second gain in Sony sensor is engaged @ nominal ISO800 (???)

Rand47

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2018, 05:13:07 pm »

No, re the video, but it is something I've wanted to explore and start doing for my teaching.  I'm attracted to the new grip and other features like the better EVF and the thicker more robust body.  I also have large hands, so the slightly larger body will be a plus, not a minus in my case.  I love Fuji's philosophy re the buttons and dials, but I'll not be sorry to lose the exposure comp.  That's the one dial I often move accidentally on my X-T2.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Rand47

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2018, 05:14:47 pm »

except when OIS of Fuji lenses takes over IBIS those 5 stops will drop a lot...

16-55 w/o OIS, w/ IBIS = 5+ stops
18-55 w/ OIS and IBIS where OIS takes over certain axis compensation = 3.5 stops

Hilarious !

somebody glue that OIS dead shut.

PS: and OIS in 10-24 will drop you to 2.5 stops... so what gives ? can't we just knock that OIS off

Not a big deal, just turn the IBIS in the body off when using those lenses, or the OIS off in the lens - whichever yields the best results.

Rand
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 05:18:26 pm by Rand47 »
Rand Scott Adams

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2018, 06:04:34 pm »

I am in Los Angeles and will be heading to a private as well as public camera launch this evening.  I'll publish photos and more tomorrow.  As many of you know I am a Fuji user and have a very extensive Fuji set-up.  I saw this camera last October and was really impressed with it.  While I have touched it and such I really haven't shot with it yet but I do plan to do some extensive shooting with it in early March.  Frankly, I think Fuji listened well to their customers and added what was needed and didn't screw with the things that were working.  The whole user interface experience with a Fuji is something that I believe many users really enjoy about the camera.

So stay tuned.  I'll have more on this on Friday.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

BJL

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2018, 06:08:48 pm »

This is after claiming for about 2 years that IBIS will degrade image quality for them as the designed image circle for their lenses doesn't accommodate for it.
a) that was BS
My guess: for general optical reasons, image circles are usually only that tight with wide-angle to normal focal lengths, and even then only near the wide end of zoom lenses — so Fujifilm PR did a little "over-emphasis" on that limitation while they did not have IBIS.

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2018, 07:24:47 pm »

I'll not be sorry to lose the exposure comp.  That's the one dial I often move accidentally on my X-T2.

Interesting.  I probably use it—quite intentionally, I hasten to add—in at least one out of three shots.  That's the only change (so far, at least) which inclines me to wait for the X-T3.

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2018, 07:47:26 pm »

Never been a fan either of the exposure comp dial. Using the front scrolling wheel on the X-T2 with its 10 stops of compensation makes more sense. Much faster than trying to find that dial on the top.
For those of us who don't shoot much video, and don't need to hand hold at 5 to 10 seconds like some reviewers are doing, the X-H1 may not make sense as an upgrade yet. I can already shoot hand held at 30/sec at the 35mm frame equivalent of 600mm, and have sharp images.
David

armand

• Photos
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2018, 08:47:27 pm »

Never been a fan either of the exposure comp dial. Using the front scrolling wheel on the X-T2 with its 10 stops of compensation makes more sense. Much faster than trying to find that dial on the top.
For those of us who don't shoot much video, and don't need to hand hold at 5 to 10 seconds like some reviewers are doing, the X-H1 may not make sense as an upgrade yet. I can already shoot hand held at 30/sec at the 35mm frame equivalent of 600mm, and have sharp images.
David

I would venture to say that unless you are a superhuman the above is 1/30 sec (likely on m43) and not 30 sec?

David Sutton

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2018, 10:43:08 pm »

I would venture to say that unless you are a superhuman the above is 1/30 sec (likely on m43) and not 30 sec?
I was never a red cape and tights chap, so I think you are probably quite correct.

David Sutton

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2018, 07:57:51 pm »

a) that was BS
I was wondering the same. It appears they may have been correct in that it wouldn't work with the existing body size. Their IBIS system takes up more space which is why the X-H1 body is larger.
David

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2018, 05:11:03 am »

They are also emphasising here the larger body is to provide greater robustness for heavier "devices" because "in near future there will be lenses that weigh more than 2kg." (illustrated with the forthcoming 200 f2).

John

MBehrens

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2018, 01:27:56 pm »

Had the opportunity to see and hold an X-H1 yesterday here in Seattle at the Kenmore Camera Annual Sale. There is a lot more heft to this camera from the X-T line. In fact it seems to me to have more roots in the GFX than the X-T. It is definitely feeling more like a professional camera and operates very quickly. The shutter button is very soft with a minuscule difference between 1/2 press and full shutter release, something that would be quickly learned.

The touch screen is only active on live view and not the menus. I wanted to tap the tile on the Q menu, but still have to scroll around.

The AF-L button isn't the most convenient location for me. I like the X-T2 location better for back-button focus. And an everlasting complaint of mine on Fuji battery grips is they put the buttons in different positions on the BG from the Camera, so you have to adapt for portrait and landscape.. just bugs me.

I'll be sticking with the X-T. May need to move this conversation out of the "Compact" forum.. Ha.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up