Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR 7.2 is now available  (Read 3412 times)

ario

MBehrens

Re: LR 7.2 is now available
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 12:18:10 am »

15 Fuji X-T2 Raw Files imported from SD card and Standard Previews generated in 29 sec.

Just the files I took on my evening walk. Should have run the same 7.1 test, but hit install when saw it was available.

The Develop module seems to be rendering faster. I'm seldom seeing the Loading... message. 1:1 zooms appear to be rendering in under 1 sec.

Windows 10 Pro
HP Z440
Intel Xeon 3.50Ghz
16GB RAM
LR Use Graphics Processor = On

adias

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 02:42:15 am »

Very fast rendering of 50Mpixel images on a fast machine.

mbaginy

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 01:20:12 pm »

Very fast rendering of 50Mpixel images on a fast machine.
I feel a newer computer than my 2012 iMac will be the key to noticing improvements.  I haven't noticed any yet.  Maybe that'll kick in after an hour or two - that's what's been happening with recent versions:

After starting LR, the first 20 minutes are terribly slow with the spinning beach ball popping up every few seconds and spinning for 10 to 20 seconds.  Enough for me to curse and want to switch back to stamp collecting!  Then, after half and hour or so, the spinning beach ball appears less frequent and sometimes stays where ever it resides for a longer time.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 01:26:11 pm »

After starting LR, the first 20 minutes are terribly slow with the spinning beach ball popping up every few seconds and spinning for 10 to 20 seconds.  Enough for me to curse and want to switch back to stamp collecting!  Then, after half and hour or so, the spinning beach ball appears less frequent and sometimes stays where ever it resides for a longer time.

That's ridiculous. Check you have done all the sensible things like optimising the catalogue, ensuring there is free disc space, updating drivers, and seeing if there's a hardware issue.

I am seeing benefits of this order over 2015.14:

68% faster generating 1:1 Previews
    58% faster generating Standard Previews
    28% faster in Export speed
    26% faster merging 8 frame panorama
    12% faster merging 3 frame HDR

Rory

• Recent images
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 04:59:56 pm »

It is nice to finally see LR get some love.  This is the rate of improvements/enhancements I was expecting.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/roryhi

MBehrens

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 08:04:02 pm »

Any other Fuji shooters seeing improved demosaicing in LRCCC7.2? I'm finding that it is much easier to match the OOC JPG today.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 11:46:14 pm »

That's ridiculous. Check you have done all the sensible things like optimising the catalogue, ensuring there is free disc space, updating drivers, and seeing if there's a hardware issue.

I am seeing benefits of this order over 2015.14:

68% faster generating 1:1 Previews
    58% faster generating Standard Previews
    28% faster in Export speed
    26% faster merging 8 frame panorama
    12% faster merging 3 frame HDR

Thanks for sharing those results John. That’s a big deal for me. I take a lot of photographs and this is going to make life easier.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

mbaginy

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2018, 01:01:39 am »

Check you have done all the sensible things like optimising the catalogue, ensuring there is free disc space, updating drivers, and seeing if there's a hardware issue.
I'm glad you see an improvement.  I've checked my system and everything is optimized (it also was before the update), but I still don't see any change to pre-update times.

Maybe I need a newer, more powerful iMac, which I won't purchase.  I guess I'm stuck with the situation.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2018, 04:01:54 am »

I'm glad you see an improvement.  I've checked my system and everything is optimized (it also was before the update), but I still don't see any change to pre-update times.

Maybe I need a newer, more powerful iMac, which I won't purchase.  I guess I'm stuck with the situation.

Have you optimised your catalogue? It's often the key.

I'd also suggest you measure 2015.14 against 7.2 as the benefits should be more visible. If there are none, it would indicate that you're suffering from something else, because what you described earlier did sound odd.

mbaginy

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2018, 04:30:52 am »

John, I use LR daily, at times only two hours, but some days for 10 or more hours, depending on the requirements.  If I spend all day using LR, I'll optimize at the end of that day, otherwise once a week.  I recall Jeff explaining, it cleans out all the cruft.

I understand from Adobe's announcement that the greatest improvemnt should be noticed with 12 GB RAM of more.  My iMac is only equipped with 8 GB, so maybe the speed increase is minimal.  I haven't yet imported with this update, but I don't really have a problem importing while washing dishes or ironing shirts.  Last Sunday's import of some 550 X-Trans raws took about 30 minutes, giving me time to eat breakfast and read the newspaper.

The really frustrating time working with LR is the first half hour or so following restart of the program.  A few updates ago, I thought LR had become a bit snappier, but that impression has faded.  I'm patient though.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2018, 05:19:52 am »

That 12gb is important. Those with less RAM should still gain from 7.1 to 7.2, but those with more RAM and more cores will see performance increases to the level expected with those setups. You should see a difference if you compare against 2015.14 - if not, that is a problem. And I've not heard of anything like that first half hour (and I often use LR on my 4gb Mac Air), so it makes me think there is a separate issue.

How many photos are in the catalogue and roughly how many folders are in it? During that time, what seems to be happening? Is the GPU enabled? 4K screen or a 2102-era one? But that first half hour seems very unusual.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2018, 07:44:28 am »

Hello Mike,
i do not know exactly  the hardware you use... but

i am working on a macpro from 2008 on LR 6.14 and do not have problems with d850 nefs...
i have about 24GB Ram...
I think in general 8GB is too little to work with photographs...  16 would be better.
An other thing is maybe the harddisk you are using. The original maybe very slow ( 60MB/sec) or too small to use ( SSD) ; Unfortunately those are not easy to replace.
Speedy hardisks connected with  thundebolt  could improve things.
I use a raid0 that can do about 300MB /sec and at the moment some pci-harddisks can do even 3000MB/sec...
So apart from software hardware can really improve speed.
Apart from that the GPU has become much more capable as well; if the software does address it in a right way it can also make a huge difference....
In the past Adobe was not that good in using its power and LR was known to hardly use it... maybe that has changed with LR7.2 (?)
What i know for sure LR 6.14 hardly uses any RAM. At least that has changed.

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Rory

• Recent images
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2018, 08:54:09 am »

I'm seeing an improvement browsing in loupe view in library - but - in windows using embedded previews if I hold down the left/right arrow keys when I release the key I get significant run-on (the images keep on progressing for a while).  This is a real programming / user experience no-no.  It can be a challenge programming-wise on modern OS but surely adobe has competent software engineers ...
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/roryhi

mbaginy

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2018, 03:31:42 pm »

Pieter, John, my iMac is a mid 2010 i3 model with 8GB RAM.  My images are on an external 4TB drive and the roughly 50k images take up a tad over 25% of the HD space.  I have the graphics processor acceleration disabled since it slowed my computer down noticeably in the past.

I booted my iMac as I did yesterday and didn't encounter the very sluggish LR response which frustrated me earlier.  Only difference being, I hadn't imported any files today.  Performance isn't always consistent and it could begin with it's slow initial performance next time I load LR.

Improved performance would be welcome, but I'd be pleased with the performance I now have, if it were consistent and naturally without that starting slowness.  My iMac was never a speed daemon and I never expected any wonders, it's adequate for me requirements.

Thanks for your suggestions and comments.

Dave Rosser

• My Website
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2018, 05:17:53 pm »

After a few hours browsing and adjusting pictures in my 37000 image collection
Lightroom slowed down to a crawl. After re- boot performance was good again.
Win 10,  i7-3820, 32 gig RAM,1TByte  SSD, AMD Radeon Pro. This is not acceptable.

DP

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2018, 05:19:29 pm »

This is not acceptable.
what do you want from a desktop grade single user DAM ? it is just not designed for enterprise performance  ;D

Simon Garrett

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2018, 05:22:42 pm »

After a few hours browsing and adjusting pictures in my 37000 image collection
Lightroom slowed down to a crawl. After re- boot performance was good again.
Win 10,  i7-3820, 32 gig RAM,1TByte  SSD, AMD Radeon Pro. This is not acceptable.
Were you able to prove that this was a Lightroom problem, as opposed to a Windows problem? 

Did you try exiting and restarting Lightroom without rebooting?

Dave Rosser

• My Website
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2018, 06:05:32 am »

Were you able to prove that this was a Lightroom problem, as opposed to a Windows problem? 

Did you try exiting and restarting Lightroom without rebooting?
As usual when typing on my ancient tablet I got things slightly wrong 😥 I should have said I restarted Lightroom not rebooted. In the small print of  release  notes Adobe recognise that this problem is still present in a small number of cases.

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up