Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Face Mounting Info needed -Dibond vs Sintra  (Read 2913 times)

Robert Boire

• www.robertboire.ca
Face Mounting Info needed -Dibond vs Sintra
« on: February 11, 2018, 10:18:01 pm »

I'm thinking of getting some of my prints face mounted but the whole process is new to me and I would appreciate some guidance.

I understand that the face mounted prints can be mounted on either dibond or Sintra backing.  What are the advantages or disadvantages of either backing? Do all face mounts effectively follow the Diasec process or is there more than one facemount process. There seems to be few very few suppliers in my area that will facemount to diabond and none of them mention Diasec, though many will print directly on Sintra, dibond or acrylic.

Thanks

stockjock

Re: Face Mounting Info needed -Dibond vs Sintra
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 02:15:47 pm »

Sintra is floppy.  I'm sure one of the framing experts on here will chime in but if you are talking about mounting a print to Sintra and then face mounting it to acrylic I would have thought the flex would create problems long term.

DougDolde

• Images of the American West
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 06:10:57 pm »

Well it's the acrylic that gives it rigidity.  Granted diBond is stiffer but I don't think it's necessary. Plus they use a sub frame on the back that adds even more stiffness.

I am getting face mounts done by Impact Visual Arts in San Diego and they use Sintra (PVC). No issues. Plus they are reasonable and fast

http://impactvisualarts.com/prices/

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 10:56:08 pm »

It depends on how thick of acrylic you use and the size of the piece as well as the final presentation.

On a large piece, if the acrylic is 1/8th inch (typical frame grade acrylic) and you are not framing it, then you have to reinforce it with a sub frame as mentioned by Doug, or you can use diBond or a piece of Black 1/4" acrylic (my preference). If you are framing it, then the frame will add rigidity so sintra should work OK.  (if it's very large and not a pano, such as a 40x60, then something stiffer than Sintra is best even if framed, otherwise there will be a noticeable "bulge" of the acrylic.

If the acrylic is 1/4", then sintra is a good option, although 1/8" black acrylic is also a good option. We just delivered a large number of pieces face mounted to 1/4" Optix, with 1/8" white Celtec (basically the same as Sintra), mounted to a 1/2" thick Celtec frame 3" inside the edge of the piece, the top cut at 45 degrees with a matching piece for the wall ... basically a french cleat.  Sizes from 11x14 to 40x60.  Everything looked great when it was installed.  Typically the backer is black, but the architect firm chose white for the back, and it did look nice on the wall.

mearussi

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 12:00:31 pm »

What backing you use really depends on whether you want the back to be noticeable or not. Both Sintra and Dibond are colored, and usually used as either black or white, which create noticeable edges. But I prefer mine to be as inconspicuous as possible so as not to interfere with the photo. As such I just use another piece of clear acrylic. It can be a little more expensive but gives me the look I want.

BrianBeauban

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 12:19:58 pm »

Diasec is not the only process used, in fact, in the US it's the exception. Most of the time a pressure sensitive product is used, like AGL Mount-Smart Optically Clear Premium. It's a clear polyester carrier with a solvent acrylic adhesive coating on both sides and protected by silicone coated polyester release liners.
As for the backer it all depends on how you intend to hang the work and where it will be displayed as well as your prefernces on appearance. On this, there are MANY opinions. No right or wrong methods, just personal preference and what is within your capabilities.
Pages: [1]   Go Up