Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuji keeps moving up!  (Read 2938 times)

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
Re: Fuji keeps moving up!
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 05:26:23 am »

I'll be in Los Angeles to get the complete details.  More info next week after the launch.  It does look to another big step for Fuji.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

armand

• Photos
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 06:29:25 am »

I'm not that impressed despite using Fuji the most.
Ergonomics will be better but the size is that of a Sony A7x with half the sensor and their "pro" zooms are as big.
Sensor is the same as the X-T2, it already has several years under its belt.
Focus hopefully will be better because they still have work to do.
IBIS is the big thing and it was requested for years but Fuji said it can't be done or the image quality will suffer. They don't use it for something extra as the competition, aka higher resolution through shift and I don't see mentioned any focus stacking either.
The main thing is video compared to X-T2 but not necessarily to the competition.

All in all a nice camera if you live in the Fuji bubble, not so much compared to what is around. Will see, maybe they pulled an "Apple" and it works better than the specs suggest.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 07:34:14 am »

The way I look at it is that Fuji designs some of the best lenses, both technically and - most importantly - in terms of look.

IMHO most of their lenses are superior in terms of look to the equivalent Sony option.

So having better and better bodies to serve these excellent lenses is great. They obviously are still behind Sony in many regards bodywise in terms of technical image quality (due to being APS-C to a large extend) and AF... but the lenses deliver more beautiful images more often than not and the UI is also IMHO ahead.

A lot of this is personnal preference so the usual Sony supporters don’t need to jump in.  :D

Cheers,
Bernard

rdonson

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 08:38:06 am »

I'm happy to live in the Fuji bubble after 30+ years in the Canon bubble. 

It will be interesting to see what the new camera will bring.  Honestly though I'm very happy with my X-T2 and lenses.  I've not been yearning for IBIS so I'll see what people have to say about it.  I shoot a wide range of subjects from horse racing to high school football to landscapes to macros at the nearby orchid conservatory.  The 4K video I get with the X-T2 also exceeds my expectations.  Honestly though most of my 4K video is from my drones rather than a handheld camera. 
Regards,
Ron

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 09:29:03 am »

I am not sure I see the role of this camera apart from as the start of a push into video. Isn't that its whole point?

armand

• Photos
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 11:56:44 am »

I am not sure I see the role of this camera apart from as the start of a push into video. Isn't that its whole point?

I think so but compared to others it doesn't sound that great. Take a GH5 and similar.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 12:07:24 pm »

I'm happy to live in the Fuji bubble after 30+ years in the Canon bubble. 

It will be interesting to see what the new camera will bring.  Honestly though I'm very happy with my X-T2 and lenses.  I've not been yearning for IBIS so I'll see what people have to say about it.  I shoot a wide range of subjects from horse racing to high school football to landscapes to macros at the nearby orchid conservatory.  The 4K video I get with the X-T2 also exceeds my expectations.  Honestly though most of my 4K video is from my drones rather than a handheld camera.

Outside of X-trans unnecessary drama the X-T2 is a very good camera. I can set easier it and use it more effectively than all my other cameras. I'm missing on some quality travel WR versatile zooms, their pro zooms are just too big and still have issues (16-55 2.8 ).
So far the non WR were able to take a beating in some rain but I would more peace of mind.
Focus with the long lenses had some issues on my recent trip, not sure why. It showed it focused but on review after download they were nowhere close.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 12:21:59 pm »

IMHO most of their lenses are superior in terms of look to the equivalent Sony option.

You might be right, I have no experience with Sony although I'm interested in their A7riii with 16-35/24-105 for a high quality kit for travel/hiking. Fuji has the very good 10-24 but it's missing the middle range; 18-55 is not wr, 16-55 is too big compared to 18-55 for too small iq improvement but losing OIS, 18-135 needs better iq.

rdonson

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2018, 12:25:28 pm »

I don't intend to argue.  I think we have some different use cases for the X-T2 and lenses though. 

I have no drama with X-Trans sensors. 

I also don't have any issues with the 16-55, 50-140 or 100-400 zooms.   I don't find them big or heavy especially compared to my equivalent Canon L lenses.  I'm surprised to hear you've had some issues with the lenses.  Is it something Fuji should repair?  Have you contacted them?
Regards,
Ron

BJL

Re: Fuji keeps moving up — in video support at least
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2018, 05:46:12 pm »

... a push into video. Isn't that its whole point?
It does look primarily like addressing weaknesses relative to the competition when it comes to video support, and that is fine with me. Even if video is not a major factor for all customers, a weakness there probably hurts system adoption overall these days. And note that Fujifilm has already been making motion photography lenses for both smaller "TV" formats (2/3" and such) and larger "cine" ones (Super 35mm), so it has some expertise.

It is interesting to see the rise-fall-rise of IBIS: at one stage Sony, heir to the original Konica-Minolta IBIS system, moved back towards in-lens stabilization — reportedly because IBIS did not work so well with video at the time; now Sony, Panasonic, Pentax  and Fujifilm are all adding IBIS to systems that already have stabilized lenses. So basically everyone is offering 5-axis sensor-shift IBIS now, except the slower-to-change incumbents, Canon and Nikon.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2018, 08:53:50 pm »

I don't intend to argue.  I think we have some different use cases for the X-T2 and lenses though. 

I have no drama with X-Trans sensors. 

I also don't have any issues with the 16-55, 50-140 or 100-400 zooms.   I don't find them big or heavy especially compared to my equivalent Canon L lenses.  I'm surprised to hear you've had some issues with the lenses.  Is it something Fuji should repair?  Have you contacted them?

I understand that and it's good that you are happy. I am mostly happy but want more. Competition doesn't rest and if I continue to invest in Fuji they need to be successful and survive for quite some time.
Re x-trans: Drama was probably too harsh, I can deal with it but I think the questionable benefit in image quality doesn't justify the extra work the processor has to deal with or the extra effort for the user in post processing.

DChris

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2018, 09:14:22 pm »

Lots of Fuji rumors running around...

1st Qtr 2018 X-H1...everyone now knows all the rumored specs from fujirumors.com
4th Qtr 2018 X-T3...new 28mp sensor, new processor, no IBIS, all the other stuff, for all of you who hate the size and weight of the X-H1 and IBIS, just wait a few months for the X-T3
4th Qtr 2018 GFX 50R...the rangefinder version of the GFX 50S
1st Qtr 2019 GFX 100S...the 100MP version of the GFX 50S

The rumored news release for the X-H1 says the XF 8-16mm 2.8 and 200mm 2.0 come in the 4th Qtr 2018 (bummer for me as I was looking for the 8-16 2.8 to come in the first few months of 2018)
The 200mm is to be $5000 US with a new $1000 tele-converter. Hey...it's a rumor.

I came from years with the Pentax 35mm film camera and lenses, to 13 years with Canon digital and FF lenses to Fuji Xt2...the XF 100-400 and 35mm 1.4 are the first two XF lenses I bought...I don't find the 100-400 big or heavy at all, but that might be a relative statement considering the size and weight of Canon lenses. And I find the XF 35 1.4 to be tiny.

Dave

JWB

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2018, 09:25:42 pm »

Ergonomics will be better but the size is that of a Sony A7x with half the sensor and their "pro" zooms are as big.

Why do you think the Fuji pro zooms are as big as the Sony pro zooms? My Fuji 16-55 may be big relative to the diminutive Fuji 18-55, but my Fuji 16-55 is way smaller and lighter than my Nikon 24-70. I can't imagine the Sony pro zooms are much smaller than the Nikon pro zooms.

Incidentally, I also find the range of the Fuji 16-55 to be much more practical than 24-70 on full frame. The 70 on full frame is just awkwardly short.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2018, 10:09:39 pm »

Why do you think the Fuji pro zooms are as big as the Sony pro zooms? My Fuji 16-55 may be big relative to the diminutive Fuji 18-55, but my Fuji 16-55 is way smaller and lighter than my Nikon 24-70. I can't imagine the Sony pro zooms are much smaller than the Nikon pro zooms.

Incidentally, I also find the range of the Fuji 16-55 to be much more practical than 24-70 on full frame. The 70 on full frame is just awkwardly short.

The Nikon, at least the last version is larger than all. Yes you do gain some at the telephoto end but I personally cannot forget about the dof equiv in which case things look different.
Maybe I think it's too big because we have the 18-55 and the 16-55 doesn't seem to be that much better to justify the extra size while losing OIS. Will see, maybe with the IBIS the 16-55 will not looks as bad anymore.

Food for though:
A7Riii + 24-105 F4 = 1320g
A7Riii + 24-70 F2.8 = 1543g
X-T2 + 16-55 F2.8 = 1162
X-H1 + 16-55 F2.8 = ~ 1300g ?

Again, Fuji is the system that I use the most but I think they get away too easy on some things because we like the system.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2018, 10:15:17 pm »

I came from years with the Pentax 35mm film camera and lenses, to 13 years with Canon digital and FF lenses to Fuji Xt2...the XF 100-400 and 35mm 1.4 are the first two XF lenses I bought...I don't find the 100-400 big or heavy at all, but that might be a relative statement considering the size and weight of Canon lenses. And I find the XF 35 1.4 to be tiny.

Dave

The 100-400 I can't justify buying so I didn't look very closely at it.
The 35 F1.4 is a great lens, one that's occasionally special. A little slow to focus for fast moving objects but workable otherwise.

DP

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2018, 10:44:42 pm »

The 70 on full frame is just awkwardly short.

simply consider that 1.3 crop from your 42 (Sony)-45(Nikon)-50(Canon)mp sensor is 24mp+ sensor and 70mm is 90mm+ then and yet brighter than f2.8 on APS-C ... so you have 24mm @ full 42-45-50 and yet 24mp+  (28mp+ for Canon) resolution @ 90mm eq FOV (longer than your primitive APS-C zoom)
Pages: [1]   Go Up