Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cleaning Epson 2200  (Read 4559 times)

misterpatrick

Cleaning Epson 2200
« on: September 25, 2006, 12:43:20 pm »

Hello all,

I have an Epson 2200 and it has been freaking out lately. It will start spewing ink everywhere. I've heard that this can be caused by dust and other dirt on or near the printing head. How can I clean the head of gunk other than running the software head cleaner.

Also the sponges and landing pad (or whatever it's called) are saturated with ink as so much ink spills when the printer freaks out. Can these be removed and cleaned?

Thanks!

Middleman

Cleaning Epson 2200
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 05:29:53 pm »

Hello all,

I have an Epson 2200 and it has been freaking out lately. It will start spewing ink everywhere. I've heard that this can be caused by dust and other dirt on or near the printing head. How can I clean the head of gunk other than running the software head cleaner.

Also the sponges and landing pad (or whatever it's called) are saturated with ink as so much ink spills when the printer freaks out. Can these be removed and cleaned?

Thanks!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=77628\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Patrick,

Looks like you may have to call out an Epson engineer. The pad inside is called a maintenance pad - its replaceable but only by an Epson engineer. You can't clean it unfortunately, only throw it away. Sounds like you've been using a lot of thick paper and sounds also like this has rubbed off so much with the head its caused it to leak. You could try cleaning the printer but it would be quicker and better to get an engineer in to sort it out.

If you use thick papers a lot I'd suggest setting the printer media to something like Watercolour Radiant White and adjusting the head height in the printer. Also getting a pack of Epson S041150 cleaning sheets to clear up the rollers. These should help improve print quality and grip on the machine and allow you to use it for longer.

Jason

outerspace

Cleaning Epson 2200
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2006, 09:10:26 pm »

If the pads the printhead parks on are saturated, the air line for the vacune pump could be clogged.  I've never dug that far into a 2200.  www.fixyourownprinter.com has some tips and ,IIRC downloadable service manuals, which may give you some idea of whether it is fixable, or its time for a 2400.  

They also sell a waterbased ink solvent they report is the same stuff Epson techs use.  The stuff has solved some nasty clogs for me.  Alcohol is a no no.  You may be able to soak the pads and attempt a head cleaning to draw the ink solvent thuu the vacume line, if it is clogged.  The ink from the cleaning is deposited in the internal pad mentioned above.  The pad may also have a "plug" of dried ink where the vacume hose terminates so the solvent , if it can be drawn down this hose, may also be able to dissolve this.   This process should also dissolve the dust and ink you alluded to in your post.  

This is purly conjecture on my part.  As I said, I haven't gone this deep into one of these printers.  Hopefully it gives you some ideas on how to procced.

Also, I think www.inkjetart.com had a step by step dissection (with photos) of a 12xx series epson.  It was quite enlightening.  Especially about the small vacume pump that draws ink out of the printhead during cleaning as I also mentioned.

Good Luck

Stephen

outerspace

Cleaning Epson 2200
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006, 05:59:31 pm »

Opps,

It was a 3000, not a 12xx that was dissected.  And I forgot that www.inkjetart.com also has a forum that the staff monitor and answer questions in.  Pretty useful In my opinon.

Stephen
Pages: [1]   Go Up