Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Very basic question re: Photoshop settings  (Read 3887 times)

Gabe

Very basic question re: Photoshop settings
« on: September 25, 2006, 11:37:10 am »

Hi all

As the topic description mentions, for some reason the Image Size dialogue in Photoshop has decided that it should always open with the units under "Document Size" showing centimetres.. This seems to have nothing to do with any preferences I have set for rulers/units that I'm aware of, and while it's not really that big a deal, it's quite a nuisance to have to go into the pick-list and select inches (which would be my default preference) every time.

I was hoping some kind and informed soul out there could explain to me what I've done and (more importantly) how to undo it..

Thanks in advance!

gabe

ARD

• http://
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 01:21:54 pm »

Hi all

As the topic description mentions, for some reason the Image Size dialogue in Photoshop has decided that it should always open with the units under "Document Size" showing centimetres.. This seems to have nothing to do with any preferences I have set for rulers/units that I'm aware of, and while it's not really that big a deal, it's quite a nuisance to have to go into the pick-list and select inches (which would be my default preference) every time.
I was hoping some kind and informed soul out there could explain to me what I've done and (more importantly) how to undo it..

Thanks in advance!

gabe
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=77615\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

When did it start doing this, and what did it open with before?

Raw shooter

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 03:00:12 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=77635\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You may have a British/ New Zealand/ Australia English version.  Their copies do default to their metric units.  I do courses overseas and there are several other differences that throw us Americans for a loop.  Anothe is JPG dfault quality resets to 8 each time, as opposede to the American version which resets to the last OK'ed setting - which seems better.

Gabe

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 03:50:03 pm »

Thanks for the replies  couple of answers:

Actually it's been doing this for a very long time now, but has just begun to annoy me very recently (we've had an order come in which requires me to be in that dialogue an awful lot). It used to open in inches, if I recall, which is what I've got set under the Units & Rulers prefs..

You may have a British/ New Zealand/ Australia English version. Their copies do default to their metric units.

Nice guess, but it's definitely the North American version of CS1 (I'm running Mac OS10.4.7 in case anyone thinks that might matter).

As I say, I know it didn't do this at one point in time which makes it really annoying. CS1 at home doesn't do this to me, for example..

I think I'll try emailing myself a .prefs file from home to see if that cures it, but I'm sure this is one of those "hold down Option while picking something"-type tricks that I just don't know about, and somehow managed to implement one day by accident..

Further ideas still greatly appreciated!

ARD

• http://
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2006, 01:53:39 pm »

Thanks for the replies  couple of answers:
Actually it's been doing this for a very long time now, but has just begun to annoy me very recently (we've had an order come in which requires me to be in that dialogue an awful lot). It used to open in inches, if I recall, which is what I've got set under the Units & Rulers prefs..
Nice guess, but it's definitely the North American version of CS1 (I'm running Mac OS10.4.7 in case anyone thinks that might matter).
As I say, I know it didn't do this at one point in time which makes it really annoying. CS1 at home doesn't do this to me, for example..

I think I'll try emailing myself a .prefs file from home to see if that cures it, but I'm sure this is one of those "hold down Option while picking something"-type tricks that I just don't know about, and somehow managed to implement one day by accident..

Further ideas still greatly appreciated!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=77662\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Try Eidt/Preferences/Units and Rulers

Set the units you want and it should remember

Gabe

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2006, 02:36:11 pm »

Try Eidt/Preferences/Units and Rulers

Set the units you want and it should remember
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=77847\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You'd think so, wouldn't you? (and indeed, this is the way the designers intended it to work) Unfortunately that was the very first thing I tried, and nothin'

Anyway, thanks again for the help, all. In the end I trashed the .prefs file and swapped in the one from home which seems to have fixed things, so I'm guessing it was just corrupted somehow.

Cheers,

gabe
« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 02:37:11 pm by Gabe »
Pages: [1]   Go Up