Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Panels Disappearing – Back With a Vengeance  (Read 3018 times)

Simon J.A. Simpson

Panels Disappearing – Back With a Vengeance
« on: February 06, 2018, 11:26:32 am »

Latest iteration of Lightroom CC Classic – 7.1

The disappearing panels bug seemed to have gone away with updates to Lightroom, until the latest 7.1.  Now the side and bottom panels make themselves invisible quite frequently, without any apparent rhyme or reason.

Has anyone else noticed this ?

By *** it’s annoying having to restart Lightroom several times an hour !

[Mac OSX El Capitan 10/11.6]

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Panels Disappearing – Back With a Vengeance
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 11:39:10 am »

Hi Simon,

Not happening to me, and I'm on the same OSX and Lr versions as you - so perhaps either I'm just lucky or this is not a generic issue. And I have been working daily in Lr for many weeks at a stretch. Perhaps some setting or other? I expect though you've been through your prefs and the interface controls and checked. Sorry this doesn't solve your problem but just thought you should know at least one other person working with identical versions isn't seeing it.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 12:00:08 pm »

Hmmm…  Interesting.

I thought to begin with it was down to Lightroom trying to sync with Lightroom CC but I've stopped that.  The last example of the panels disappearing was when I clicked on an image in the main display (central) panel and all the side/bottom panels disappeared.  Poof !  Sometimes they disappear after switching between Lightroom and another application.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 02:59:11 am »

Ouch!  Is this just happening on Macs?  Does it occur with Windows?  Am running LR6 with win 10 and had been thinking about going down the subscription route, but this does not encourage me.
Jonathan
Jonathan in UK

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 03:23:50 am »

It's just happening on some Macs. It's much less common now, but the last I heard was that Adobe were waiting on a  update from Apple.

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 04:43:35 am »

It's just happening on some Macs. It's much less common now, but the last I heard was that Adobe were waiting on a  update from Apple.

Is there hope then, do you think ?

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 05:08:31 am »

Yes, though you seem to be on an older version of OSX. Does it still get Apple updates?

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2018, 05:25:01 am »

Yes, though you seem to be on an older version of OSX. Does it still get Apple updates?

Yes, it does.  But having been burned very badly in the past I have always been very reluctant to update.  I know, John, I could update to Sierra now that it has settled down after the printer debacle.  I'm not sure about High Sierra yet as there have been fundamental issues reported and I think I might wait until that's all been sorted-out (the next iteration of OSX ?).  Interestingly Apple is still supporting El Capitan with security updates and the like.

I know I'm being very cautious but if I think of all the time I've spent (wasted?) trying to sort-out problems caused by updating software I start to pale and feel shaky at the knees !
 ;D .

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2018, 05:39:58 am »

I imagine the question is whether Apple still include graphics-related updates in El Capitan, or whether the next LR update gets things back to normal. Maybe wait Adobe's next update while also reviewing whether you need to remain on El Capitan?

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2018, 06:08:55 am »

Thanks for your advice, John.  Will do.

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2018, 06:25:56 am »

I'm on OS 10.12.6 (sierra), using lightroom classic (7.1), and the panels go black every once in a while. I'm not seeing any rhyme or reason to why. I click in the right or left hand side blackness and it all comes back. This weirdness has been going on a long time. There are complaints on the Adobe forum. Some here.

blue_moon_images59

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2018, 05:33:33 pm »

This happens to me a lot on my Mac.  Fortunately, I have learned that I don't have to completely shut down LR to fix it.  I just hide LR and reopen and all is well again.

BradSmith

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2018, 03:56:27 pm »

This never happened to me in the past.  But I recently upgraded to OS 10.11.6  and from LR 5 to LR Classic CC 7.2 and now it happens about once each session.  I have to shut down LR and re-open it to bring back the side panels.
Very annoying when this still happens, without having been corrected, to what is as of yesterday, the "old" versions of both the system and Classic CC. 
Brad
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 05:49:21 pm by BradSmith »
Pages: [1]   Go Up