Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPad-based kit for field trip?  (Read 1345 times)

Mosccol

iPad-based kit for field trip?
« on: February 06, 2018, 08:31:58 am »

Hello

Off to sunny industry India in a couple of weeks; can't wait! I will carry my usual combination of EOS 7D and iPhone but this time I'd like to lose the MacBook Pro... My normal routine is USB3 CF card reader overnight into the laptop with a quick cull + keywording in Lightroom. I travel with a high enough number of cards to act as 'backup'

As I'm considering using the latest version of LR for iPad (with cloud storage) I thought I would use just my iPad + a card reader then upload to the cloud whenever I get decent wifi.

Anyone tried this? Any fast iPad CF card readers out there?

Thanks!
Canon 7 & L Glass + iPhone 6 ... Where n

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
Re: iPad-based kit for field trip?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 07:37:16 pm »

Unless it’s an old behemoth, take the MBP. Not only will everything be easier and, perhaps more familiar, you will also have access to full LR. Lr Mobile is great, but it lacks gradient masks and adjustment brushes and spot/healing/cloning.

Consider also... Can you be sure of upload speeds to CC when you need them? What size of storage is on the iPad (I assume, perhaps incorrectly, less than the MBP)? Besides weight and size, what’s the advantage of the iPad?
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Mosccol

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 04:08:37 am »

Thanks luxborealis,

I don't do tons of editing on the road. The iPad is to be sure I'm properly detached from work as well as weight + cables considerations. I guess my question was two-fold:

- Does the iPad import at decent speeds (my early experiences using 1st gen. connectors were awful)? + any model recommendations for CF cards?

- Would this work well with the 'new & improved' CC environment which puts you photos straight in the cloud and avoids the complexity of synching catalogs?

PS: my iPad has > 70Gigs free space so I'll be alright

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 10:09:42 am »

My iPad connected to my D800 was fast via USB, but using an SD card and reader.... One time, I plugged my half-full 64GB card into the iPad and it was still rendering dinky thumbnails an hour in when i managed to jostle the connection and it started over... the iPad could handle the D800 files much more quickly and easily directly plugged in than the card reader. I cherry-picked the images to download and save and used Hyperdrives for back-up.

Now that I'm using m43 and shooting video, I take my MBP 13 and have less frustration. I made several month-long trips this way and at the time it was doable, but my situation changed. I now need to deal with metadata and uploading edited work for my clients, along with video now.

Sure, not having the bulk and weight was nice with just an iPad, but at a price of downloading speed and capability for me for travel.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

Telecaster

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 03:54:53 pm »

I use Affinity Photo on my iPad Pro for nearly all image processing now. I do file transfer from my cameras via WiFi when possible, and I don't travel with any camera that can't manage this. The card reader method is still painfully slooow. I don't rely on the iPad itself or cloud storage for main backup (got a Hyperdrive gizmo for that) but I do backup select pics to both iCloud and MEGA. Any pics I process while travelling go in finished form to iCloud and MEGA too via the Files app.

-Dave-

Mosccol

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 12:41:48 pm »

I've just received an iPad to USB connector and will check how long it takes  to download straight from the camera... Watch this space..
Pages: [1]   Go Up