Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom won't sync  (Read 1684 times)

pearlstreet

Lightroom won't sync
« on: February 05, 2018, 01:05:21 pm »

I think my computer knows I'm working on a new website and is trying to drive me nuts! Lightroom turned both my monitors a funny white color. When I restarted lightroom, the message shown in the attachment appeared but every time I restart lightroom and try to unpause sync, I get the same message.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: Lightroom won't sync
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 01:13:55 pm »

So have you opened a backup or a copy of the catalogue? The message usually displays for a good reason and is worth considering carefully.

One would also need to know how much do you use LrMobile before going further.

pearlstreet

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 01:19:07 pm »

I use lightroom mobile a lot. I hadn't done anything with the catalog.  I had restarted lightroom and tried to sync a photo. It wouldn't sync so I looked top left and saw sync was paused. When I clicked to unpause it, the message showed up. Every time I restart, I get the same message.

pearlstreet

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 01:24:45 pm »

When I look at my catalogs, it says that a new catalog was created today. When I try to open the old catalog I get this message. The bottom catalog was created today but I updated LR yesterday.

pearlstreet

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 01:35:03 pm »

So I found a post in the forums about deleting the sync.lrdata file. Any harm in trying that?

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 02:12:09 pm »

There's no harm, but it's not going to do any good.

Each time you try to open the old catalogue, the one that LrMobile knows is the one that you are syncing, you are creating another one with -2 on the end. You are also creating another one which LrMobile thinks may be a backup or copy. So don't open the old catalogue again, and open the catalogue that is the one you want to use, going forward.

If you restart and enable sync, do you get the same message?

pearlstreet

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 02:13:29 pm »

Yes, every time I restart and click to unpause syncing I get the same message.

pearlstreet

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 02:15:35 pm »

Okay, now with me not doing anything other than restarting a hundred times and saying a few bad words, it decided to sync again.  Thank you, John for your help. I hope it behaves now.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2018, 02:23:11 pm »

So when you open exactly the same catalogue file, the message occurs each time?

Are there any images in LrMobile that have not synced down to your catalogue? I am hoping you can say no. But it might happen if you have recently uploaded originals using LrMobile on your phone or LrWeb.

If you say no, then it's safe - and quick - to reset the LrMobile data. That's the Delete All Data button in Preferences / LRCC. It requires confirmation, and will remove everything synced to LrMobile so you would then have to resync collections. But it reliably gets you past this problem and should get you moving again.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2018, 02:25:03 pm »

"So when you open exactly the same catalogue file, the message occurs each time?"

I think it's this. You were probably not re-opening exactly the same file. Or LR knew I was about to threaten it with Delete All Data and felt sympathetic to you!

pearlstreet

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2018, 02:29:31 pm »

;D ;D ;D Thanks so much for your help, John. I'm hoping this sticks. I don't think the latest Windows Update is sitting well with my computer.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2018, 02:36:45 pm »

One thing I would suggest is to rename your catalogue to something that means something to you. The 3-2-2 stuff could easily be confusing, especially when a 3-2-2-2 is also sitting around in the folder! So I would suggest carefully renaming it VanLieuPhotography2018.lrcat (also the related Previews folders), then restarting LR by double clicking the VanLieuPhotography2018.lrcat file. Only do this if you understand what I mean.
Pages: [1]   Go Up