Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anonymity on this part of the forum? No thanks.  (Read 28178 times)

wilburdl

• http://darnellwilburn.com
Anonymity on this part of the forum? No thanks.
« Reply #60 on: October 17, 2006, 09:02:58 pm »

Mark's right. This forum benefitted from the collapse of RG. But the biggest difference and one that should be applauded is that it is lightly moderated not scoured over like in the RG days. Even at times when topics get a bit off hand there guided back on course instead of threads being locked down at will and people kicked without warning. For a while after the collapse MR actually allowed for quite a few discussion about RG's demise. People were allowed to vent (respectfully of course). This is not DPReview.
Darnell
Editorial Photographer | Cartoon

pixpop

« Reply #61 on: October 18, 2006, 12:02:11 am »

Frankly , I find it alarming that there is a call for basically shutting down the only remaining open forum for MFDBs, or feeling the need to pressure people into revealing their names and contact details.

Last time I checked, it takes a badge to order somebody to id himself, and no anonymous person on the internet will ever get me to give up that information....

Also, I do not see any need to take such drastic messures in this forum; while there have been a few postings where the language could have been chosen more carefully, the discussion seems to me civil and mature. Plus, it seems to attract almost exclusively people who are interested in the matter, which naturally doesn't include amateurs.

Knowing the real name of contributors means nothing to me; I only know a Yaya or James Russell by their postings. For all I care , they can choose any screen name they like and be a 400lbs transvestite in Ohio; if their posts are knowledgable and helpful, I welcome the contribution.
That said, in Yair's case his known connection to Leaf enhances the value of his contributions; in James' case, he could use Bubba as a nick, and I still would only judge him by the content of his posts.

Personally, I hardly ever visit the websites of members of this forum, nor have I ever heard of anyone posting here outside of this place ; what matters to me is the quality of advice someone is able and willing to give.
Honestly, unless your name is Nadav Kander, I'm not interested in your work or your client list.
Let's face it, this place is about high-end gear, not high-end photography...   

Then, there are a few hard facts to consider:

- You don't want a client googling your name come up with your postings on an internet forum.

- The email address one uses for work should be spread as little as possible through circles not directly connected to your business. Internet 101....

- RG went down the drain partly due to rigorous restrictions such as insisting on a real name used as a handle. Needless to say, one still could use any screen name , if it only sounded real.

- As stated above, the restricted, private DB fora founded in the wake of RG's demise never kicked off. Unless there is a company behind it, paying people to keep a message board running and maintained, and actively working on attracting new members, that simply isn't the way an online forum works.

- The tone and behaviour in a forum is set by the majority of members; I've seen frequent mean-spirited discussions on a forum which reqired the moderator to get not only your name, but your phone number (!) to be allowed to post.

Requesting personal information from members to control a message board is not a new concept, but I have never seen it work, imho it makes no difference whatsoever.

I think it might be more beneficial to ask members to add their field of work, equipment details and years spent as professional to their profile.

Best,
Tom
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=80750\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

tom, i couldn't agree more with you on every single point. i stopped using my real name because of all the spam i receive and the fact that people can google one's name and see postings to forums that were made by you years earlier. thank you for making all these great comments. i couldn't have said it better.  

pp

izaack

« Reply #62 on: October 18, 2006, 03:15:05 pm »

Funny thing, after looking at the posts over the past few weeks it appears that those that are the nastiest are operating under a screen name and are conspicuous by their silence in this discussion.

Go figure.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=80719\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm here, Mikey. No need to get all hissy and hot under the collar. Got a professional life to lead and can't spend time reading all threads and responding.

So, if some Proles are Widgets, and some Widgets are Scolds, then a Prole is a Scold. True or False.

mkravit

« Reply #63 on: October 18, 2006, 04:08:48 pm »

I'm here, Mikey. No need to get all hissy and hot under the collar. Got a professional life to lead and can't spend time reading all threads and responding.

So, if some Proles are Widgets, and some Widgets are Scolds, then a Prole is a Scold. True or False.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=81050\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Huh, What in the world are you talking about?
WHo are you? And who cares.

Gary Ferguson

• http://
« Reply #64 on: October 18, 2006, 04:51:08 pm »

Today's "Times" newspaper carries a story that the UK has just had its first "web rage" murder. Admittedly it began on a religious issues forum, which may stir slightly stronger passions than Nikon versus Canon, but none the less I'm suddenly seeing big benefits in web anonymity!

izaack

« Reply #65 on: October 18, 2006, 04:54:26 pm »

"A hypocrite is a hypocrite is a hypocrite" Gertrude Stein.

P.S. You're not it, Gary.

ericstaud

• www.ericstaudenmaier.com
« Reply #66 on: October 18, 2006, 04:59:38 pm »

There was a Web Rage murder in Los Angeles about a year or two ago.  It all went down in some kind of earrie real time on a forum.  The man who shot the other poster then traveled around LA trying to elude police, all the while posting his rants from his laptop at local coffee shops and internet cafes.  Just imagine everyone on the forum telling this guy to turn himself him, and describing their version of events.... All the while this guy is telling everyone to F off and that the dead guy deserved it.  It is fortunate we have much less important things to argue about here.

howiesmith

« Reply #67 on: October 18, 2006, 05:38:28 pm »

"A hypocrite is a hypocrite is a hypocrite" Gertrude Stein.

P.S. You're not it, Gary.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=81071\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sounds like you are just being pedantic, Gertrude.  And how do I know Gary Ferguson is really Gary Ferguson and not Joe Blow?  And why would I care since I know neither?

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #68 on: October 18, 2006, 06:56:54 pm »

Sounds like you are just being pedantic, Gertrude.  And how do I know Gary Ferguson is really Gary Ferguson and not Joe Blow?  And why would I care since I know neither?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=81076\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Can we lock this thread ? No constructive purpose is being served. Enough already !

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

GhostDancer

« Reply #69 on: October 18, 2006, 07:53:23 pm »

I am new this forum, only a few posts today. I have lurked for a while reading what folks write and learning a lot about the trials and tribulations of MFDB ownership.

I agree that forums should be open unless they are pointed toward a specific industry or group and them those in that group can decide. However, I have to agree that people should post their real names. It is way too easy to hide behind a screen name and shoot from the hip. We tend to be more responsible when our soul is exposed.

It does seem that most people here on the LL forums are cordial, professional and friendy. There also appears to be a small group of short, nasty and curt inddividuals who find it necessary to launch one liners with the intent of being either nasty or just a wise guy/gal.

Maybe not my place as I am new, but just my two cents worth.
Glad to be here.

Bill Rennaker

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #70 on: October 18, 2006, 08:09:10 pm »

I am new this forum, only a few posts today. I have lurked for a while reading what folks write and learning a lot about the trials and tribulations of MFDB ownership.

I agree that forums should be open unless they are pointed toward a specific industry or group and them those in that group can decide. However, I have to agree that people should post their real names. It is way too easy to hide behind a screen name and shoot from the hip. We tend to be more responsible when our soul is exposed.

It does seem that most people here on the LL forums are cordial, professional and friendy. There also appears to be a small group of short, nasty and curt inddividuals who find it necessary to launch one liners with the intent of being either nasty or just a wise guy/gal.

Maybe not my place as I am new, but just my two cents worth.
Glad to be here.

Bill Rennaker
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=81091\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Short, curt and nasty, launching one-liners describes me perfectly - You should become a writer !

I think after RG, LL has had its meltdown. Time for those of us who care about photography to get back behind our viewfinders, and stop arguing about who signs how.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

ericstaud

• www.ericstaudenmaier.com
« Reply #71 on: October 18, 2006, 08:40:01 pm »

Hi Edmund,

I don't think Bill was refering to you.  It is just the unfortunate context of his post being right after yours chronologically.  It looks like he is on your side.  It is more likely he had read the whole thread and come to his conclusion.  I am sure everyone will get tired of this thread soon enough.  There's no way it will self sustain.  People will just get board and start posting about other things.  As narikin and pixpop know, I would rather get back to discussing LCC.

I hope someone is outside in Los Angeles shooting today, the light is beautiful, and I'm stuck in a studio.

-Eric

GhostDancer

« Reply #72 on: October 18, 2006, 08:55:45 pm »

No Edmund, I was not referring to you.

I agree, getting back to creativity and discussions of photography is a great idea.
However, the first post was specific about wanting to open a debate and discussion. That he did, my point is why are there a few bad apples who let the discussion deteriorate such as it has.

I saw no reason for the nasty remarks to begin in the last few posts. Everyone was pretty much debating in an acceptable manner.

Again, not my place as I only recently joined this forum. I look forward to many more worthwhile discussions.

Thanks

Bill Rennaker

michael

« Reply #73 on: October 18, 2006, 09:27:49 pm »

On that note, may I suggest that this thread be dropped?

Thanks,

Michael

andrewparker

« Reply #74 on: October 19, 2006, 06:21:16 am »

On that note, may I suggest that this thread be dropped?

Since I was the one to spark off this theological conflict, perhaps I could offer my own conclusion?

No-one responded to my request "to point me in the direction of a long term successful professional photography discussion board where solid advice and opinion based on real experience is available, and where anonymity is allowed."

Please don't answer "this one", as several of the most valued contributors have made clear their fundamental objections to anonymity.

Since Michael has made it clear that he doesn't want to change, and we are all guests in his well-appointed saloon, I'll just offer this as a matter of opinion.

An ideal forum would be one that anyone can join provided that they are willing  always to sign their real name on posts, followed by either a link to a website or physical business name and location.

I know this would exclude some people, but having a website is hardly a huge cost barrier if you're considering MFDB equipment.  While an ideal forum would make no judgement as to where you stand in the professional food chain, to join you would have to indicate serious business involvement in photography.

All the above is based on observing events at other pro fora.......

Andrew Parker

Blue Window Ltd
Surrey, UK
Website under construction- like Arca Swiss......

Fritzer

« Reply #75 on: October 19, 2006, 06:01:45 pm »

Since I was the one to spark off this theological conflict, perhaps I could offer my own conclusion?

Sure, it's about time   .

No-one responded to my request "to point me in the direction of a long term successful professional photography discussion board where solid advice and opinion based on real experience is available, and where anonymity is allowed."

Maybe that's because pretty much every forum in the professional creative field allows anonymity ?
But we all know one place where it didn't work , which is the one you used as a reference.

Please don't answer "this one", as several of the most valued contributors have made clear their fundamental objections to anonymity.

I for one value pretty much every contributor's comments, is there some sort of hierarchy ?  

An ideal forum would be one that anyone can join provided that they are willing  always to sign their real name on posts, followed by either a link to a website or physical business name and location.

Don't forget to mention this is just your personal opinion....

I know this would exclude some people, but having a website is hardly a huge cost barrier if you're considering MFDB equipment.  While an ideal forum would make no judgement as to where you stand in the professional food chain, to join you would have to indicate serious business involvement in photography.

I don't have a website, my agent has one. Care to post a link to your agent's website, as you don't have one yourself ?

All the above is based on observing events at other pro fora.......

Such as ? I'm a member of numerous pro message boards ( photography, CAD, retouching, DTP ); the only one I ever experienced keeling over in 10+ yrs was RG , which also happened to be the only one insisting on 'real' names .

Andrew Parker
Blue Window Ltd
Surrey, UK
Website under construction- like Arca Swiss......
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=81127\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

So you are British, named Andrew. I'm German, name is Tom.  

andrewparker

« Reply #76 on: October 20, 2006, 04:27:25 pm »

Tom,

We really need to end this thread as Michael has has asked us to do.

Thanks for your list of pro fora where anonymity is allowed..

I don't have an agent but I have just spent the equivalent of 3000 euro (in our primitive British currency) on drum scanning- hence the interest in digital backs. My website is ready but I'm still playing with the material- it will help others to give the appropriate weight to my contributions here.

I'm certainly not trying to argue for a hierarchy of contributors of for invitation only fora- sorry to give that impression.

Since here in the UK hot water taps (faucets) need extra stickers above them saying "Caution Hot Water",  I'll reiterate that everything I say is of course my opinion only.

I hope we can end this interesting debate on a friendly note.

Thanks for your reply.

Andrew Parker
Blue Window Ltd
Surrey UK.

Fritzer

« Reply #77 on: October 20, 2006, 05:23:45 pm »

I hope we can end this interesting debate on a friendly note.

Thanks for your reply.
Andrew Parker
Blue Window Ltd
Surrey UK.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=81412\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Andrew,

I apologize if I came across a little harsh, this wasn't my intention.
It's just that I'd hate to see this board go down the drain by imposing overly restrictive rules, the free contribution and access to information as offered in this forum is quite valuable for me.

Best,
Tom
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up