Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sinar 54H Questions  (Read 6099 times)

adam tracksler

Sinar 54H Questions
« on: February 04, 2018, 09:20:13 pm »

This may sound silly, but does the 54H only do multishot images? or can it do single shot images?

Also wondering how well this works with current macbook pro's. Since I wont have FW and would need to run a Thunderbolt/FW800 adapter into a FW800/FW400 cable....

Thanks so much. adam
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 10:09:47 pm by adam tracksler »

Christopher Arnoldi

• http://www.arnoldi-design.com
Re: Sinar 54H Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 02:06:55 am »

I worked 8 years with the Sinarback 54H. It does 1-shot, too. And 16-shot.
But it's not only the Firewire, you have to use the old capture software to get best results.
You better use an old Macbook with Firewire and an old software.
The image quality is stunning.

adam tracksler

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 08:07:44 am »

What version of captureshop works?

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 10:00:05 am »

This may sound silly, but does the 54H only do multishot images? or can it do single shot images?

Also wondering how well this works with current macbook pro's. Since I wont have FW and would need to run a Thunderbolt/FW800 adapter into a FW800/FW400 cable....

Thanks so much. adam

There were (3) Sinarback 54 models. All used the same Kodak 22mp sensor, but employed them with differing capabilities.

*54H
- One shot, 4 shot, 16 shot modes
- Fan cooled, plus heat sink

*54S
- One shot only

*54M
- One shot only
- Heat sink only

Steve Hendrix/CI

Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

adam tracksler

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 10:08:45 am »

Id be looking at the 54H.

Christopher Arnoldi

• http://www.arnoldi-design.com
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 02:20:34 pm »

What version of captureshop works?

I think CaptureShop 5.6.4 was the best version.

adam tracksler

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 03:47:00 pm »

Anyone using it with a current-ish macbook?

MalcolmDrummond

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2018, 03:29:22 am »

Anyone using it with a current-ish macbook?

Hi Adam. I've got a 54M with Hasselblad V adaptor. Latest version of Captureshop (to my knowledge) is 6.1.2. On the back of a Hasselblad 500 EL/M I can shoot via Thunderbolt->800->400 adaptors in both Master and Slave modes with my 2013 iMac. However, on a P3 with CMV shutter (where presumably more communication is required), the setup won't work with the iMac - I can only get working with direct Firewire 400 connection on old (2007) Mac Pro tower.

I saw on another thread somewhere that someone had similar problems with 54H, P3 and newish MacBook ... eventually resolved as bad quality connectors in the adaptor chain. So it looks like can be done with current-ish gear. I'm hoping my problem is same but won't be able to spend any quality time on this for a few weeks.

Hope this helps.
Malcolm

MalcolmDrummond

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2018, 07:09:05 am »

Hi Adam. I've got a 54M with Hasselblad V adaptor. Latest version of Captureshop (to my knowledge) is 6.1.2. On the back of a Hasselblad 500 EL/M I can shoot via Thunderbolt->800->400 adaptors in both Master and Slave modes with my 2013 iMac. However, on a P3 with CMV shutter (where presumably more communication is required), the setup won't work with the iMac - I can only get working with direct Firewire 400 connection on old (2007) Mac Pro tower.

I saw on another thread somewhere that someone had similar problems with 54H, P3 and newish MacBook ... eventually resolved as bad quality connectors in the adaptor chain. So it looks like can be done with current-ish gear. I'm hoping my problem is same but won't be able to spend any quality time on this for a few weeks.

Hope this helps.
Malcolm

Got a bee in my bonnet after previous post. Have finally got 54M back working with P3 on 2013 iMac running macOS Sierra 10.12.6 and CaptureShop 6.1.2. I think the Thunderbolt->800->400 adaptor chain can be problematic. Also found that one of my FireWire 400 cables that worked with the Hasselblad setup won't work with the P3, while the other does (guess which one I kept mistakenly using).

I don't have flash-synch with CMV shutter on P3 ... but also don't get flash-synch using same on old Mac Pro, so suspect shutter to synch-socket problem as time exposures are working perfectly - will have to open it up when I have time . This is old gear that's been standing for long time before it came my way.

Hope this helps
Malcolm

... Update - If I use a Y synch cable so that I'm connected to both lens shutter socket and synch socket on 54M the synch does indeed work. I think this is due to sharing ground from 54M so everything points to bad connection inside CMV shutter, i.e. synch socket not earthed, something I should be able to fix myself.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 08:55:49 am by MalcolmDrummond »

MalcolmDrummond

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2018, 04:27:41 am »

...Update

Using external power supply (as recommended by Sinar) *everything* now working correctly, so flash-synch issue may have been due to insufficient PD when powered via FireWire.

tire94

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2018, 08:40:29 am »

hei Steve,

one question How I can understand, which model is it?

thanks

There were (3) Sinarback 54 models. All used the same Kodak 22mp sensor, but employed them with differing capabilities.

*54H
- One shot, 4 shot, 16 shot modes

*54S
- One shot only

*54M
- One shot only
- Heat sink only

Steve Hendrix/CI
Pages: [1]   Go Up