Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dead Canada goose falls from the sky, knocks hunter unconscious  (Read 2532 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Dead Canada goose falls from the sky, knocks hunter unconscious
« on: February 03, 2018, 05:39:20 pm »

For Les:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/dead-canada-goose-falls-from-the-sky-knocks-hunter-unconscious/ar-BBIDfCW

...was struck by the goose after it was shot by someone in his hunting party... He was airlifted to a shock trauma unit in Baltimore with a severe head injury.

:)

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
Re: Dead Canada goose falls from the sky, knocks hunter unconscious
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 07:08:51 pm »

Freak accident.
6kg (13 lbs) bird dropping from 35 yards at a free fall speed will reach 95km/h at the time of the impact. Resulting energy is about 2,000 joules which makes quite a bang.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 07:56:18 pm »

;D ;D ;D
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Farmer

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 08:18:08 pm »

Freak accident.
6kg (13 lbs) bird dropping from 35 yards at a free fall speed will reach 95km/h at the time of the impact. Resulting energy is about 2,000 joules which makes quite a bang.

In a vacuum.  Less for the goose in question, but obviously still fast enough at that mass to do plenty of damage.

If you know the area of the bird, you can get a better estimation http://www.ambrsoft.com/Physics/FreeFall/FreeFallWairResistance.htm

If we assume 0.25kg/m of resistance (relatively low) then it's about 53km/h - that's about half the resistance of a sky diver by comparison.
Phil Brown

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 08:41:13 pm »

50km/h - that's about the same as the impact speed of an improperly secured Nikon D850 with a 24-70mm lens falling from a 10m pole.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 10:35:17 pm »

oh dear...can you hear that whistling noise?

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2018, 11:17:41 pm »

I can only think déjà vu, hunter injured in shooting incident.

Hey I'm sticking out this time.

Cheers,
Tom Brown

Farmer

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2018, 12:08:36 am »

50km/h - that's about the same as the impact speed of an improperly secured Nikon D850 with a 24-70mm lens falling from a 10m pole.

Indeed :-)  Although I expect the Nikon to be a little harder and sharper than a mass of goose!
Phil Brown

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2018, 05:18:34 am »

Indeed :-)  Although I expect the Nikon to be a little harder and sharper than a mass of goose!

Of course; Nature feathers the blow.

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2018, 05:23:54 am »

Thanks for the link Slobodan, but it's a strange article (or at least some logic seems to be failing)

Robert Meilhammer was struck by the goose after it was shot by someone in his hunting party early Thursday evening, the Washington Post reported.
Meilhammer was lucky that he was not hunting alone, officials told CBS Baltimore, as his hunting companions were able to get him to a nearby road and seek help.

If he was hunting alone there would be nobody else in his party that shot the goose, so he would not have been hit and not needed to be airlifted ............... ;)
pieter, aka pegelli

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2018, 08:17:23 am »

Thanks for the link Slobodan, but it's a strange article (or at least some logic seems to be failing)

If he was hunting alone there would be nobody else in his party that shot the goose, so he would not have been hit and not needed to be airlifted ............... ;)

Good point, Pieter.

Before reading the article, the headline got me thinking: do birds/animals also suffer from heart attacks? Could it happen in flight? Because that was the first thought i got after reading “dead goose falls from the sky.”  Any vets among LuLa members to clear up this important, non-political issue?

Then again, he could have been alone, with an unrelated hunting party shooting, no? We got to get to the bottom of this!

degrub

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2018, 09:00:44 am »

oh dear...can you hear that whistling noise?

not very well until the last second if it is coming straight at you.  Same reason people get killed by trains coming from behind.
i grew up hunting waterfowl for many years....We had more than a few "ducks" when the birds were coming straight at us.

Rob C

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2018, 09:20:22 am »

Good point, Pieter.

Before reading the article, the headline got me thinking: do birds/animals also suffer from heart attacks? Could it happen in flight? Because that was the first thought i got after reading “dead goose falls from the sky.”  Any vets among LuLa members to clear up this important, non-political issue?

Then again, he could have been alone, with an unrelated hunting party shooting, no? We got to get to the bottom of this!

Yes, dogs can get strokes and our penultimate cat died from what I think was a heart attack.

So can people flying in aircraft. Happened in the row behind me on a BA flight from Nice to London. We sat on the tarmac in Nice for at least an hour on a very hot morning, and the guy behind us was quite uncomfortable throughout the wait. Near to London I heard a scream behind us and looked back to see the poor guy with his arms stretched out straight in front of him. His wife and a young boy were in a helluva state. The crew asked if there was a doctor aboard. After an interminable wait, two guys appeared behind us and had the victim out on the passage, but nothing they could do. The cabin crew? Input, zero. I had imagined those travel junkies were also trained in basic first aid. I was wrong, yet again.

Maybe things have changed.... at least one of them should be pretty capable, and have medication to help. I carry two pills in my wallet all the time just in case I feel another attack coming down. Doesn't add a whole lot of weight.

However, the idea of a shot bird falling onto a shooter's dome does come with a tiny touch of divine justice, does it not?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 09:24:47 am by Rob C »

degrub

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2018, 09:42:53 am »

"However, the idea of a shot bird falling onto a shooter's dome does come with a tiny touch of divine justice, does it not?"

not if you are hungry....
ironic, yes.

Rob C

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2018, 05:01:52 pm »

"However, the idea of a shot bird falling onto a shooter's dome does come with a tiny touch of divine justice, does it not?"

not if you are hungry....
ironic, yes.

That's why I don't eat birds that don't often fly: you never know what they are thinking.

But I did see chickens fly: a guy who used to live not far from us had two large dogs that once got into the field in front of our place and went for the farmer's chickens. One or two flew a good few yards at a foot or two off the ground. I bet they all wished they'd done more flapping exercises when young. It cost that guy quite a few pesetas to calm the farmer down. Folks should keep their mutts under control at all times.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 04:09:41 am by Rob C »

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2018, 06:32:01 pm »

Exactly the same thing happened to me once. I used to have two Bouviers and a long time ago on a road trip through Nova Scotia I stopped at some country restaurant, opened the rear tailgate to let the dogs out and before I knew they jumped over a low fence behind which were the chickens. Fortunately, those birds flapped their wings rather forcefully and with a lot of ruckus they flew over the other side of the fence. The dogs looked rather sheepishly alone inside the fenced area. I don't remember if I had to lift them back from the fenced in area or if they jumped back on the road on their own.
Pages: [1]   Go Up