Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replacement for HH Gloss Baryta 17 X 25?  (Read 1168 times)

mshea

Replacement for HH Gloss Baryta 17 X 25?
« on: February 03, 2018, 03:02:30 pm »

Hi All,

I've been using Harman Hahenmuhle Gloss Baryta for years, mostly the 17 X 25 sheets (two boxes left). I'll occasionally cut longer lengths, up to 32" for my 3880, but the paper curl drives me crazy. Anyway, the new Hahnemuhle Photo Gloss Baryta doesn't come in 17 X 25 size. Is there anything else out there in 17 X 25 that comes close to the original HH paper? For that matter, how does the cut paper curl of the new Hahnemuhle compare to the old HH?

Thanks,
Merrill

texshooter

Re: Replacement for HH Gloss Baryta 17 X 25?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 12:21:46 am »

I've been using Harman Hahenmuhle Gloss Baryta for years, mostly the 17 X 25 sheets (two boxes left).

Merrill

Is there a specialty store you bought your 17x25" paper from, because I've never been able to find but a half dozen varieties from B&H (mostly by Inkpress), and I don't recall seeing 17x25" Hahnemuhle or Harman anywhere.

loganross

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 12:11:27 pm »

I believe that is the one paper that Hahnemhule continues to see under its own name: Photo Gloss Baryta 320 .  However, for that size, I think you have to go to roll media.

Hi All,

I've been using Harman Hahenmuhle Gloss Baryta for years, mostly the 17 X 25 sheets (two boxes left). I'll occasionally cut longer lengths, up to 32" for my 3880, but the paper curl drives me crazy. Anyway, the new Hahnemuhle Photo Gloss Baryta doesn't come in 17 X 25 size. Is there anything else out there in 17 X 25 that comes close to the original HH paper? For that matter, how does the cut paper curl of the new Hahnemuhle compare to the old HH?

Thanks,
Merrill

MarkFarber

• Mark Farber
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 01:41:14 pm »

Two suggestions:

(1) Buy or make a de-curler.  See http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=19753.  I made mine from a pre-cut 2-foot PVC pipe at Home Depot and 2 sheets of thick mylar from Blicks.  I made two versions: a 1.5-inch core (which I mostly use) and a 3-inch core (when there's just a gentle curl, or for thin paper).  I've used this flawlessly with Harman Baryta 17x25 on Canon Pro-1000 and Epson 3880.  A de-curler will allow you to cut your own 17 x anything from 17" rolls of Canson baryta or Ilford Gold Fibre Silk, which are slightly less glossy than Harman but the closest I've found.

(2) If you don't want to (de)roll your own, then try Red River's San Gabriel, which comes in 17x25 sheets.  I've just started using it occasionally and find it much better than I expected.

mshea

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 12:34:57 pm »

Is there a specialty store you bought your 17x25" paper from, because I've never been able to find but a half dozen varieties from B&H (mostly by Inkpress), and I don't recall seeing 17x25" Hahnemuhle or Harman anywhere.

I bought it off the shelf at Hunt's in Boston for years, then had to special order it from them till it was discontinued what?...a year or two ago.

Merrill
Pages: [1]   Go Up