Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: San Diego this weekend  (Read 1211 times)

ad9t

San Diego this weekend
« on: February 02, 2018, 10:42:59 am »

I am attending a conference in San Diego next week and arrive Sunday at about 1 P.M. I would like to photograph tide pools and the sunset someplace along Point Loma to Torrey Pines State Reserve.  I need help selecting a location.

Cabrillo National Monument closes at 4:30.
Sunset is at 5:25.
Low tide is at 6:00.

What location has the best photographic possibilities given my short time window?

During the week the conference runs nearly to sunset, but I might be able to get out for sunrise.  Any suggestions for locations? I am staying near the convention center.

Thanks for your help

Jeff

sbay

• http://stephenbayphotography.com/
Re: San Diego this weekend
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 05:14:34 pm »

You mean Sunday Feb 4? Tide will be about 0.3ft at sunset.

Some options for tide pools would be ocean beach (to the left of the pier), La Jolla (Hospitals reef or near the cove), Sunset cliffs near the stair on Ladera st. Also at low tide you might get a nice reflection off the wet sand at all the piers (imperial, ocean beach, pacific beach, scripps).

For sunrise, best options are harbor/shelter island and Coronado island near the ferry landing. You cannot walk or bike to Coronado -- you have to take either drive or take a ferry.

These are all extremely well shot places, so you may have difficulty finding a unique composition

ad9t

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 05:58:36 pm »

You mean Sunday Feb 4? Tide will be about 0.3ft at sunset.

Some options for tide pools would be ocean beach (to the left of the pier), La Jolla (Hospitals reef or near the cove), Sunset cliffs near the stair on Ladera st. Also at low tide you might get a nice reflection off the wet sand at all the piers (imperial, ocean beach, pacific beach, scripps).

For sunrise, best options are harbor/shelter island and Coronado island near the ferry landing. You cannot walk or bike to Coronado -- you have to take either drive or take a ferry.

These are all extremely well shot places, so you may have difficulty finding a unique composition

Thanks!

BradSmith

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 08:41:08 pm »

This is a commonly expressed opinion among some photographers but I've always had a very different view.  I think it is only some photographers who think this way, not our family members, friends or the vast majority of people we know who might see our images.   When I get there, I've never taken any of these images before.  None are on my walls.  Why should I care how many before me have taken those shots?  I haven't.  Seeing the shot, making the image and printing it are new to me..  That will be MINE.

Not trying to start an argument....just my thoughts
Brad

framah

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 11:00:41 am »

Also remember that when you take that "extremely well shot" image, at that point in time and space, NO ONE ELSE has seen it or shot it but you!  (Unless there are about 20 other people crowding to get the same shot.)  Then move away from them and see what it is like there. Maybe lay on the ground and shoot it from that angle.

I took a shot of Torroweep Point on the north rim of the GC. Now, it is a famous shot and seen often, but the one I have shows it with the river green!!! AND a shaft of light thru the heavy overcast highlighting the opposite wall of the canyon!

I'm POSITIVE that no one else has THAT version as I was the only one there to see it!
So... just because it has been shot a lot doesn't mean yours won't be different. 
Go and shoot it anyhow!
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."
Pages: [1]   Go Up