Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson p800 Fine Art feed..majorly frustrated..  (Read 8488 times)

Farmer

Re: Epson p800 Fine Art feed..majorly frustrated..
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2018, 11:33:05 pm »

Exactly - what's what I'm curious about other media.
Phil Brown

hokuahi

• Artist, Photographer
    • Exhibition
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2018, 09:13:37 am »

Exactly - what's what I'm curious about other media.

I'm unable to feed Canson Infinity Plantine 8.5 x 11 paper through the FFA feeder. The printer won't grab the paper and I end up getting a paper jam error message.

I finally called Epson and was told that's caused by the "media surface", as I'm able to feed Epson Premium Luster paper through the FFA feeder without any problem.

Unfortunately I have no way of knowing how valid this statement is, although I'm a little doubtful of it to say the least.

He also said I could use the sheet feeder for this size instead and it "probably" won't cause any problems.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2018, 11:23:06 am »

I'm unable to feed Canson Infinity Plantine 8.5 x 11 paper through the FFA feeder. The printer won't grab the paper and I end up getting a paper jam error message.

I finally called Epson and was told that's caused by the "media surface", as I'm able to feed Epson Premium Luster paper through the FFA feeder without any problem.

Unfortunately I have no way of knowing how valid this statement is, although I'm a little doubtful of it to say the least.
Don't Epson have a "Plantine" surface paper equivalent?  This statement by the Epson representative sounds pretty dubious to me. 

rdonson

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2018, 12:03:23 pm »

Epson Legacy Baryta
- 314 gsm
- 12 mil

Epson Legacy Platine
- 314 gsm
- 17 mil

Epson Legacy Fibre
- 314 gsm
- 19 mil

Epson Legacy Etching
- 314 gsm
- 20 mil
Regards,
Ron

hokuahi

• Artist, Photographer
    • Exhibition
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2018, 12:50:40 pm »

Don't Epson have a "Plantine" surface paper equivalent?  This statement by the Epson representative sounds pretty dubious to me.

Of course, they do. I don't know if those settings apply only when using Printer Manages Color, or as individual icc profiles. But because I'm printing either through ImagePrint using their profile, or my own custom profile for the Canson paper and my P800, and the fact that I coulda/shoulda mentioned that during the call, I guess he felt that wasn't relevant.

The IP profile uses Velvet Fine Art for the media setting and my profile (which I use printing through Lightroom), uses Epson Premium Luster. I have tried different platen gap settings with Lightroom, and IP doesn't have that option for paper thickness. There is a Media Feed setting but I was told by IP support it is for banding issues. I did try changing it anyway, to no avail.

deanwork

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2018, 02:28:51 pm »

Is everyone having this problem? That sounds horrible and more trouble than its worth.  I was thinking about buying one for teaching purposes. If it's a pain to use with thicker rag paper I'd rather buy a used 3880 on eBay. That series was the best they ever made. How could they mess that up?

It could just be a faulty unit.

loganross

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2018, 12:16:57 pm »

Is everyone having this problem? That sounds horrible and more trouble than its worth.  I was thinking about buying one for teaching purposes. If it's a pain to use with thicker rag paper I'd rather buy a used 3880 on eBay. That series was the best they ever made. How could they mess that up?

I have absolutely no issues with my p800 and paper.  it is light years ahead of my previous epsons. I do now also have a canon pro 1000  that I bought mainly for the chroma optimizer for glossy prints, and it is exceptional.  However, at less that $600 manufacturer refurbished (which you can get through Atlex or IT Supplies), the p800 is a steal.  On top of that, it has the option of the roll feeder, which I use extensively.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 03:57:54 pm by loganross »

hokuahi

• Artist, Photographer
    • Exhibition
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2018, 12:50:55 pm »

I think this (at least for me) is an isolated incident and wouldn't hesitate to buy another one as other than this particular issue the printer has performed flawlessly and exceeded my expectation.

deanwork

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2018, 01:48:04 pm »

Can anyone comment on the black and white ( neutralized bw) with the p800 compared to the 3880?

Both with QTR, which is what I would use, as well as ABW.

John

I think this (at least for me) is an isolated incident and wouldn't hesitate to buy another one as other than this particular issue the printer has performed flawlessly and exceeded my expectation.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up