Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Managing raw and jpg images  (Read 4679 times)

popchart

Managing raw and jpg images
« on: January 31, 2018, 12:03:38 pm »

Hi All,

I am a new member to this forum and whilst a reasonably experienced photographer I am a newbie to Lightroom and to using raw files. At the moment my camera is set to record a raw and a jpg copy of each image. The reason I do this is that I frequently shoot family pictures and my children want to have a jpg copy ASAP! At the moment I am storing both the raw and the jpg copies of each image in Lightroom's catalogue and on my hard drive. I store images by date and within each date folder I create a sub folder for raw and a sub folder for jpg in to which I move the images based on type.
This I do so that I always have a ready to go jpg image which I can give to my family when asked. It does double up on storage and I have to be careful which image I am looking at.  What would be nice is if I only kept the raw images but could in some way quickly export them as a jpg file which would be as good as the jpg file that the camera records using it's in built processor - almost as if I could load the image back into the camera and use it's engine to output an jpg file!
I hope this question makes sense and is not too stupid but any thoughts would be appreciated.
Popchart

DP

Re: Managing raw and jpg images
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 12:48:36 pm »

At the moment my camera is set to record a raw and a jpg copy of each image.

means when you have decent (brightness wise) OOC JPG you have under-exposed raw and when you have properly saturated raw you have overly - bright OOC JPG ... you shall know this ... if you don't care - bracket - more work to delete junk but you will have both usable OOC JPG and more properly saturated raw ... raw is more important, so if your camera setting for bracketing allow start bracketing with exposure for raw and then underexpose for OOC JPG, etc ...

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 12:56:41 pm »

means when you have decent (brightness wise) OOC JPG you have under-exposed raw and when you have properly saturated raw you have overly - bright OOC JPG ... you shall know this ... if you don't care - bracket - more work to delete junk but you will have both usable OOC JPG and more properly saturated raw ... raw is more important, so if your camera setting for bracketing allow start bracketing with exposure for raw and then underexpose for OOC JPG, etc ...

This is neither pertinent to the question, nor correct.
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 02:02:25 pm »

What would be nice is if I only kept the raw images but could in some way quickly export them as a jpg file which would be as good as the jpg file that the camera records using it's in built processor - almost as if I could load the image back into the camera and use it's engine to output an jpg file!
I hope this question makes sense and is not too stupid but any thoughts would be appreciated.
You can get close(er) in Lightroom by first selecting a camera profile that matches the JPEG settings on the camera which doesn't affect the raw at all. Then, you can adjust LR sliders, even Basic, and save a preset. Now, similar images will be 'edited' to reflect this, even upon import if selected. You can then make an export preset to now save off this from the raw as JPEGs or whatever else you need. And yes, raw+JPEG means one isn't ideally exposed but that's another discussion.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

popchart

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 05:54:51 pm »

Thanks for the three replies so far. Thanks DP but as Oscar has commented that wasn't quite what I was asking.
Thanks Andrew - i understand broadly what you are saying and now need to up my skill level with Lightroom to implement!
Chris

DP

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 06:00:04 pm »

nor correct.

well you might certainly try to find some specific scene and specific camera model settings where OOC JPG with "proper" brightness will yield a paired raw (RAW+JPG mode) which can't be saturated (more exposure) more w/o clipping in raw channel(s) or getting into some non linear area near clipping - granted there are always situations when you simply can't expose more due to limitations on exposure time (for example model moving) and/or aperture (DOF)...

DP

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 06:04:05 pm »

This is neither pertinent

but it is - see the OP writes = "I am a newbie ... to using raw files" - hence I am suggesting him a way how he can have properly saturated raws and yet show his kids OOC JPG rightaway... now later if he wants (more time spent) he can use tools like fastrawviewer ( https://www.fastrawviewer.com/blog/most-obvious-reasons-to-look-at-RAW ) to leave only proper raws to be ingested by LR and whatever OOC JPGs he likes 

DP

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2018, 06:08:51 pm »

Thanks DP but as Oscar has commented that wasn't quite what I was asking.

that's your call of course - your raws :)  , but you are still advised to read about the proper exposure if you decide to shoot & convert raw ...

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 10:40:13 pm »

Well if you want to shoot raw plus jpg then that is fine. (Personally I would just shoot raw and tell the children they can wait.)
However one of the benefits of a database programme is that you can export an edited version in any format of an image in any size at any time.

I used to keep shoot raw + jpg but decided that it was a complete waste of time and storage. If you decide to do it anyway then fine, but I only ever import the raw (into Aperture in my case). There is probably a setting to do that. The files should always be copied to a storage disk first and then import.

Stuff about needing to shoot different exposures for raw and jpg is just not true IMO anyway.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2018, 09:41:01 am »

Stuff about needing to shoot different exposures for raw and jpg is just not true IMO anyway.
IF you could examine a raw Histogram you would see the errors of that concept. One or the other capture is NOT optimally exposed!
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

DP

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2018, 11:46:07 am »

there was a link to FRV site with an article - DO READ... download free trials of rawdigger or frv and test yourself (remember - in your raw converter you can pull exposure/decrease brightness during raw conversion to bring the output to the proper/desired brightness and yet have better S/N to deal with at the same time - raw converters embedded in camera's firmware do not really do this pull during raw conversion in camera - why camera manufacturers do not provide extra control to do this ? beats me )

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2018, 04:07:02 pm »

DO READ...
Don't care. I am too busy taking photos in raw to read about shooting in jpg.
If you are serious then you shoot raw. Academia about the theory of the earth being round is therefore not important.
The accuracy of exposure assumes first off that people know how to measure it and most don't. Most have never held a light meter.

The topic was about asset management for someone who does want to shoot in jpg for personal reasons.

DP

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2018, 04:47:28 pm »

I am too busy taking photos in raw to read about shooting in jpg.

;D ... it is not about shooting in jpg

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2018, 04:53:23 pm »

;D ... it is not about shooting in jpg
The post is.

DP

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2018, 04:58:15 pm »

The post is.

indeed - "Stuff about needing to shoot different exposures for raw and jpg is just not true IMO anyway"  (c) BobShaw

Telecaster

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2018, 04:37:58 pm »

To address the OP's actual question: unless you use a RAW processor that duplicates your camera's JPEG conversion engine and whatever customized settings for it you've created, you're not gonna get a .jpg file that looks exactly like your OOC JPEGs. If you don't have such a processor and that JPEG look is important to you, continue on as you've been doing.

Shakespeare paraphrased: The first thing we do, let's get more pedants.

-Dave-

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2018, 10:13:46 pm »

It would seem likely that (if necessary) the software that comes with the camera would produce a similar JPG as the camera produces from the same raw. e.g. DDP for Canon. I say if necessary because if is for the kids then they probably don't care anyway.
Pages: [1]   Go Up