Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Who will be the first printer manufacturer to confront this urgent problem?  (Read 4826 times)

Damon Lynch

• http://www.damonlynch.net

The feeling of producing a quality print that meets one's expectations is truly wonderful, and I thank Lula for it's "back to the print" campaign.

However, this immensely satisfying feeling must now coexist with the knowledge that the current way of keeping the printer operational is contributing to an intensifying environmental disaster. The Financial Times has a very readable article on the topic of plastic pollution in general. In short, the problem is probably far worse than you might imagine, unless you've been paying close attention to the issue, in which case you know it already. The article links to an excellent set of fine art photos by Mandy Barker, whose work I was previously unfamiliar with.

All those plastic ink cartridges, the many plastic maintenance cartridges we go through -- the "use once, toss them out" model is now clearly proven to be unsustainable and in fact highly destructive. There has to be a better way.

May I request of the Lula team: can you please ask your contacts in the printer manufacturers what their plans are to confront this problem, and share the results with us in an article? The bottom line: we need to be able to refill printers with ink and run them without creating additional plastic waste. Even if they have nothing important to say today, I hope they will pass the request for information up the chain to the important decision-makers and planners.

While naturally the plastic used in printing pales in comparison to some other human activities, that's not the point: the point is that many product and consumption processes need to be done better, one industry at a time. And this is our industry, whether we are enthusiasts or pros.

Rand47

A factory ink cart recycling program seems like an efficient interim move.  Have a cart recycle fee that is substantial enough to guarantee turn-in.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

John Hollenberg

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber

Damon, Interesting topic and something we seem to have not much about.  I'm not sure there is a quick answer to what you bring up.  I do have a meeting at the end of October with Epson and I can bring it up with Canon too.  Maybe they are already considering the problem and have something to propose.  Sorry, it has to wait that long but I am off to Antarctica and then a couple of other projects. I'll be meeting up with Epson and a number of other vendors at WPPI.  Stay tuned it is going to be a busy month.

It has got me thinking though about the cartridges coming out of my Epson 9900 and P800.  I'd estimate that with my usages I turn the cartridges over at least once a year on the 9900 and 3 times a year on the P800 and Pro1000.  Multiply that by the thousands of printer out there and it is pretty significant. 

The idea of recycling cartridges is an interesting idea. 
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Damon Lynch

John, I had no idea about Canon's recycling program! I don't recall reading it in anywhere in Canon's documentation or marketing. I'll give the local FedEx shop a call tomorrow. The question remains, of course, if the use of plastic consumables can be eliminated.  And until then what happens to these plastics destined for recycling? Are (were) they getting shipped to China, for instance?

Thanks much for your positive response, Kevin. Enjoy your Antarctica trip!

Osprey

If only there was some way of refilling a used cartridge with ink.  What a breakthrough that would be for the environment. 

Farmer

In Australia, all the major manufacturers are associated with a national cartridge recycling program:

http://cartridges.planetark.org/

Epson is also a full partner https://www.epson.com.au/news/press_releases_details.asp?ID=1164&Year=2017

On top of that, Epson, and now Canon and HP, also offer large, refillable tank models in the consumer range which drastically reduce the waste.  In the large format space, you can purchase larger carts for many models and for some inks (dye sub, for example), numerous manufacturers have large tank solutions.

In the office space, Epson, for example, has a number of models with very large capacity ink bags "RIPS" models that do away with individual cartridges and reduce waste https://www.epson.com.au/products/printers_all_in_ones/printers_for_business_corporate/

So, all are doing something and some are already doing quite a lot.
Phil Brown

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com

All those plastic ink cartridges, the many plastic maintenance cartridges we go through -- the "use once, toss them out" model is now clearly proven to be unsustainable and in fact highly destructive. There has to be a better way.

While not designed for fine art printing, Epson has made a move in the direction of refillable carts with their Ecotank printers

I would think that fine art digital printing isn't nearly the cause of negative ecological impact than mainstream consumers/business printers are...but if these printers and the refillable printers catch on, I suspect we'll see it in the fine art printers too.

Epson also has a program Epson's Recycling Program.

Simon J.A. Simpson

+1

After quick Google search.

Canon UK – Recycle Canon Inkjet Cartridges

Wish I'd known about this years ago…

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website

Alas, the Canon program is only for their Pixma ink cartridges.

howardm

if you look at the true economics of recycling, you'll find that for the VAST (!!!) majority of materials, it's economically un-viable and a fraud.  Esp. true for complicated things w/ multiple materials (several types of plastics or metals etc).

Printer carts are less than a drop in the ocean when compared to all the junk we throw away.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography

Printer carts are less than a drop in the ocean when compared to all the junk we throw away.
Quite true!  Our county has a public recycling and waste transfer center.  I've made several trips out there in recent weeks taking used and/or no longer functioning electronics.  There are usually 1-2 others who are doing the same thing.  Every visit shows large bins of computers, monitors, computer parts, etc that would dwarf the number of ink cartridges that are consumed each year.  I assume that much of this stuff is shipped to the far east for recycling and or repurposing. 

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com

The City of Toronto operates a fairly advanced garbage collection program disaggregated into three options: recyclables, compost and other garbage. Many plastics are acceptable for recycling. Perhaps a problem with expended ink cartridges is that they do or may contain residual ink and electronic chips which may not be recyclable and may pollute the process. The City has become somewhat aggressive about keeping unacceptable materials out of the recycling stream. So yes, we can put those ink tanks into recycling as part of the normal city operation, but should be mindful of what to do about residual ink and chips. I think the most efficient way of managing this waste could be through the normal operation of municipal waste programs if they can be configured to handle these cartridges.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography

Mark, our county also collects recyclable plastics weekly.  However, they are co-mingled in a bin with metal and glass and end up getting separated down the line.  All plastics for recycling must be stamped with the appropriate code.  I don't know whether inkjet cartridges are labeled for recycling and the presence of metal and ink in/on the cartridge would be an impediment to easy recycling

TSJ1927

What about plastic milk cartons.  I go through three  1/2gal. containers per week and we have no recycling trash pick-ups.  My Canon 8300 will average 5-6 700ml carts per year.  I just save the  empties.

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction

Epson has made re-using or refilling ink cartridges (and maintenance tanks!) basically impossible with their new computer chips/board on the latest generation of Epson Surecolor Printers. Epson wants to make sure you buy only new Epson products, and this does in effect, continue the cycle of waste into landfills.  The maintenance tanks are the very same tanks going back to at least the old 9800. I have a half dozen new tanks that are now unusable on my new P9000 because of Epson's new "chips/motherboards."  I used to recycle the cotton wadding and reset the chips on the maintenance tanks, but it is no longer possible.  How's that for waste?  ::) >:(

I buy ink from www.tastarsupply.com  Not the best website, but once you get used to it, they have an excellent Epson ink cartridge recycling program that gives store credit back for each empty cartridge sent in.  Always responsive and excellent customer service, too.

Ken

Peter McLennan

The ink carts business model has long stuck in my craw. When a new printer costs less than the ink carts inside it, something is wrong.  So, every printer I've owned (since the late nineties) has run third party inks in refillable carts or a CIS.  I did this partly for cost reasons. I don't sell prints and my Epson 9800 made a lot of six foot wide canvases. And I did this partly because I wanted to fight back against his appalling practice. 

I always said, "If the printer manufacturers make a printer with a built-in CIS, I'll buy one".  With the "Eco Tank" printers, Epson did, so I bought one. 

It took a little eBay shenanigans, but I ordered an Epson L805 from Taiwan.  It's a six-ink 8 1/2" dye printer that makes superb prints. To reload the inks, I just squirt ink into the CIS from bottles of Epson ink.  Since it's finally responsibly priced, I see no reason to seek third party inks for this printer.  I absolutely love both the printer and the images it makes. If I cut sheets to the 8 1/2" width, I can print borderless panos in any length I choose. 

Before you get started, yes, I know that dye inks are not "archival".  But, I've had the printer for a year and several foam-core-mounted prints hanging in a sunny room show zero perceptible fade so far. YMMV.

Also, consider this: using the little Epson and "Kirkland Professional Glossy Inkjet Photo Paper", I can make a beautiful full bleed, letter sized print for about twenty cents.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1311.R3.TR4.TRC1.A0.H0.XEpson+L805+.TRS0&_nkw=epson+l805+printer&_sacat=0

Dave Rosser

• My Website

+1

After quick Google search.

Canon UK – Recycle Canon Inkjet Cartridges

Wish I'd known about this years ago…
Thanks for that link, I have 16 qualifying empty cartriges on my desk so have ordered up the free postage paid return envelopes.

Damon Lynch

I called Canon and they gave me this page, titled "Supplies - Large-Format Ink Cartridge Collection Program". I assume it's not been updated to reflect the newer models of printers, but then again I'm assuming that only because the cartridges from my particular printer (Pro 1000) are not listed 8)

I wanted to submit a written request through Canon's online support form, but their site rejected my submission, claiming the zip code was wrong. Odd.

Assuming printer manufacturers want to effectively mandate the use of their inks but use refillable / reusable systems on these large printers, that strikes me as technology problem that can be solved, perhaps using different techniques from before.

Farmer

if you look at the true economics of recycling, you'll find that for the VAST (!!!) majority of materials, it's economically un-viable and a fraud.  Esp. true for complicated things w/ multiple materials (several types of plastics or metals etc).

This probably depends on where you are.  In Australia, there are technology stewardship requirements which essentially mean all of the printer companies are repsonsible for accepting back, and then recycling (documented, through approved EPA recyclers) and diverting from landfill for any product they sold, and at their cost.
Phil Brown
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up