Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NOTICE is served  (Read 3080 times)

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
NOTICE is served
« on: January 24, 2018, 09:42:47 am »

I have had enough of the politics on the Coffee Corner and I am hereby giving notice that any further posts on Politics or anything that doesn't fit the forum description (below) will be locked and removed. 

This site is and always will be about photography.  No personal attacks will be tolerated nor will any inappropriate remarks to any members. 

A forum for open discussion of photographic topics of a general nature. Inflammatory & non-photographic topics will be deleted at Moderator's discretion.
Posters must conduct themselves in a civil and adult manner.
. That seems simple enough.

We are all fortunate that we enjoy one of the most fun ways to express ourselves - photography.  I have run workshops around the world and watched photographers from all over the world come together.  They all share a passion.  That passion is strong enough to put all feeling regarding discrimination, religion or politics aside.  Last year we took off on a South Georgia - Antarctica 3 week workshop the day that Trump was elected.  We made it a rule on the boat that we would not say anything about the new President.  And, we stuck to that and had the most fabulous trip you could imagine.  The only comments we heard were that most of the ship wanted to vote to see if we should stay on the ship for the next four years. 

All joking aside.  Both Chris and I are very busy with a lot of projects and as we move further into the year that won't slow down but only increase.  The whole LuLa team is working really hard to bring good and relevant content to the site.  We don't have time to babysit the forum and the kind of things that have happened here over the last few months.

So, anymore political commentary will not only be locked but deleted.  Anyone posting anything inflammatory or attacking another person directly will be banned.

There has never been a better time to be a photographer.  So many exciting new technologies and possibilities.  So many creative things being produced.  Let's concentrate on photography. The fun and joy it brings to us.  This forum always has been a great place to share knowledge and I would like to see it continue that way and not drift off its main topic.

So, that's it.  Let's go take some pictures.  Do yourself a favor.  Get your coat on, boots, or sandals depending on where you are.  Take a walk or a drive and go take a few pictures.  Come back get a glass of wine, beer, or a coffee and process those images and I bet you'll have a smile on your face and for at least a short time forget all the political and other crap that distracts us way too often these days. 

On Monday I head off to run another Lula Antarctica Workshop.  I look forward to this as there is no cell coverage, internet of news for the duration of the trip.  Peace, quiet and photography with some great people.

Thank You for being part of the LuLa family.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
Re: NOTICE is served
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 10:00:26 am »

I truely support your notice.

However can we still make fun of Leica Sofort LimoLand by Jean Pigozzi users?

With respect,
Tom Brown

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 10:03:02 am »

Yes, Tom, Because it is photographic.  Just no bad personal attacks.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 10:56:09 am »

Thanks, Kevin. I've loved this site for about nine years now. I dropped off the other photo sites I was working and concentrated in LuLa, and I've never regretted it. When you say: "Inflammatory & non-photographic topics will be deleted at Moderator's discretion," I'm assuming the "Climate Change: 'science' and Issues" thread will close down. OOPS. Just checked and found it's already dead and, like a prehistoric insect, encapsulated in amber. Good job, guys.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 11:12:16 am »

It's an understandable decision by Kevin and Chris who really don't deserve to be distracted from their principal job of running what is like the best photography site on the Internet.  Thanks to all of you who contributed thoughtful posts to the Climate Change thread that Ray and I were moderating. 

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 11:15:52 am »

You're welcome, Alan.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2018, 11:25:43 am »

Bravo and Thanks, Kevin!

I consider many of the posters on LuLa to be my friends, and I value those friendships. The recent political threads have taught me that Some of my best LuLa friends may disagree with me on some non-photographic topics. However, it's not worth risking the friendships by trying to engage in political one-upmanship.

Let's keep LuLa about photography!

-Eric

P.S. And let me echo Alan's thanks to those who "contributed thoughtful posts to the Climate Change thread."
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Otto Phocus

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 06:13:58 am »

A good decision that will make this site only better.
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

francois

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2018, 03:14:47 am »

Excellent and wise decision!
Francois

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2018, 05:05:42 am »

Finally!

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2018, 09:09:44 am »

On Monday I head off to run another Lula Antarctica Workshop.  I look forward to this as there is no cell coverage, internet of news for the duration of the trip.  Peace, quiet and photography with some great people.

Rejuvinating!  And a good remidy for Nature Deficit Disorder. 

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2018, 09:37:40 am »

Good move! Lord knows there are plenty of forums elsewhere for discussion of politics etc.

Rob C

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2018, 05:22:00 am »

Good move! Lord knows there are plenty of forums elsewhere for discussion of politics etc.

What are you suggesting, Peter? Photography is part of a widened et cetera; are we to preclude that, too? In which case, what purpose LuLa?

Rob

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2018, 08:03:52 am »

... In which case, what purpose LuLa?

Workshops?

hokuahi

• Artist, Photographer
    • Exhibition
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2018, 10:14:53 am »

Agree wholeheartedly... So often I've seen threads hijacked and turned into discussions that have nothing to do with the OP.

A welcome decision.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2018, 11:57:36 am »

Pyrrhic victory  for small minds.

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2018, 12:13:41 pm »

Lost causes are the only ones worth fighting for...
Clarence Darrow

Peter

Rob C

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2018, 01:38:54 pm »

It's been my observation that a substantial part of the richness of LuLa lies in the very fact that threads are allowed to develop into something other than just the rigid framework of a stated subject.

If the topic has something worth remarking about, then you can bet that those tightly focussed responses will mostly have been made in the early life of that thread. Of course, there are those who are far too busy to enjoy a mind-expanding journey into somewhere else, and I suppose some of them are stealing time during working hours, so I can understand, to a degree.

For myself, I really do enjoy the unexpected little trips to places I hadn't thought to be on the schedule. If I don't like the flavour then nobody is forcing me to continue with the experience. By the same token, nobody is being denied a return to the OP - akaik. It's cool having open options, don't you think? And so not cool to crave the delights of the control freak.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2018, 04:48:04 pm »

I think it is time to lock this thread.  The posts are getting way out of control! 8)

Rob C

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2018, 04:53:01 pm »

I think it is time to lock this thread.  The posts are getting way out of control! 8)

And to think that they say Americans don't do irony!

:-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up