Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: US Government Shutdown Redux Redux Redux  (Read 4271 times)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
US Government Shutdown Redux Redux Redux
« on: January 23, 2018, 01:31:49 pm »

Okay Chris, so it looks as if this is what you're telling me:

1. You locked the thread after my last entry, either last night or this morning. When I first got up it was locked.

2. Some time during my breakfast Alan unlocked the thread, added his tendentious post, and then locked it again so nobody could post a rejoinder.

If that's the case, either Alan got your permission to unlock the thread and make his post or he didn't. Either possibility has pretty significant implications. So which is it? And if Alan didn't get permission to undo something you did, is Alan still a moderator?
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Kevin Gallagher

Re: US Government Shutdown Redux Redux Redux
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 01:38:28 pm »

I think that Russ is owed an explanation here.

Kevin in CT
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 01:47:11 pm by Kevin Gallagher »
Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 02:16:13 pm »

A Moderator may make a post/reply whether the thread is locked or not.

Are we done here? I have better things to do

RSL

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 02:29:24 pm »

So the answer is that after a stunt like that, Alan still is a moderator.

At least that answers the question. Unfortunately it doesn't answer the implied question of who's in charge at Luminous Landscape.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 02:37:57 pm »

So the answer is that after a stunt like that, Alan still is a moderator.

At least that answers the question. Unfortunately it doesn't answer the implied question of who's in charge at Luminous Landscape.

In fairness to Alan, I do not think the pulled the "stunt" deliberately. As Chris explained, he was able to post without unlocking and locking again.

The fact that it was Chris who locked the thread(s) shows who is in charge.

Having said that, I will reiterate my stance against locking threads for minor incivilities or political slant. However, the owners have every right to determine the direction they want the site and forums to go.

On a lighter note, I suspect they were simply jealous of the ginormous popularity of political threads and, occasionally, hockey-match debate style (hey, aren't Canadians actually championing that style?), with more views and replies in a single thread than all other threads taken together in the history of LuLa (calm down, I am exaggerating for effect) ;)

RSL

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 03:01:22 pm »

Slobodan, the question whether Alan unlocked and re-locked the thread is immaterial. In practice, that's exactly what he did. Chris locked it. Alan certainly could see it was locked, but he decided it only was locked for other people, not for him. So he posted to a thread someone from the head shed had locked. Was his middle finger up as he did that?

I don't entirely agree with you about having a political section on a photography site like LuLa. I see a number of people who argue in the political thread but never, or almost never, post photographs or discuss subjects that deal with photography. It's been a long time since I've seen The Coffee Corner host, say, a discussion about whether or not street photography is overly intrusive, or on the advantages or disadvantages of landscape photography over painting. But I've seen a ton of tendentious stuff about U.S. politics.

In any case, it's up to Chris and Kevin to do what they want to do with their site. I may not agree, and in this case I certainly don't, but it's their baby. I can live with that. There are plenty of other photo sites.

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 04:10:10 pm »

But President Trump is the best photographer in the world. No one takes photographs like Donald J Trump. His photos are brilliant, and bigly so.

Just saying.

RSL

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 04:20:44 pm »

See what I mean?

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 04:24:31 pm »

Slobodan, the question whether Alan unlocked and re-locked the thread is immaterial. In practice, that's exactly what he did. Chris locked it. Alan certainly could see it was locked, but he decided it only was locked for other people, not for him. So he posted to a thread someone from the head shed had locked. Was his middle finger up as he did that?
I did not unlock and re-lock the thread.  When I first replied to the thread it was not locked.  If you read the first line of the post, it was an apology to you for using poor language in responding to your post.  I'll leave it at that.

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 04:50:02 pm »

FWIW, I think that my old granddad was right when he told me never, never to discuss religion or politics, but to hold my own counsel and leave it alone.

Of course, the Internet didn't exist during his lifetime, but apart from that tiny detail, not a lot has changed about people, beliefs and dangers of mixing up the two deadlier sins that came post-Commandments...

I have sometimes visited the political sin-locker, but in the end, found it gave no pleasure but plenty of upset nerves, even within cyberspace.

I certainly don't think that the CC should vanish; it offers a convenient space for lots of other subjects beyond snaps, glass and camera bodies. Few of us are so limited that we don't have the ability to throw around other interests in-house, as it were. It just requires one avoid the useless ones, where we all know that there isn't a snowball's of changing hearts and minds; in effect, it's just a public wank or declaration of love for those who would always use you to their greater advantage. As someone pointed out, it's the same racket in every country, only some are more subtle about it.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 03:58:11 am by Rob C »

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2018, 04:52:24 pm »

Thank you Rob! ))

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2018, 05:47:07 pm »

Once again things have gotten out of hand.  Neither Chris or I have time for this kind of thing.  I have shut down other political topics before and I am very seriously considering banning political talk.  This is a forum about photography and learning as well as sharing knowledge.  There are other places the talks about politics can take place.  The Coffee Corner was never meant to be a place for all the political banter. 

Let's use the coffee corner for what it is meant to be.  I have spoken with Chris and we will shut the CC down if it gets too crazy.  It's supposed to be a light-hearted place to talk about things.  Please keep it that way.  And. I'll ask the moderators of the CC to be just that moderators or either Chris or I will step back in and do it.

Rob, I think you said it best.  Enough Politics. It's bad enough we have to deal with all this political stuff every day from every other source.  Lula is not the place for it. Go out and take some pictures.

Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2018, 05:47:21 pm »

But President Trump is the best photographer in the world. No one takes photographs like Donald J Trump. His photos are brilliant, and bigly so.

But Obama has a bigger one (lens)  ;)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2018, 05:54:35 pm »

And since this corner has to be about photography, how about this great image by Mark Peterson:

Two23

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2018, 06:14:30 pm »

Rob, I think you said it best.  Enough Politics. It's bad enough we have to deal with all this political stuff every day from every other source.  Lula is not the place for it. Go out and take some pictures.

I agree with above--I'm tired of hearing it.  Politicians and now our national media are doing everything they can to manipulate & divide us.  They profit greatly by it.  When one party is in power they spend four years "investigating" the other one, back and forth.  Makes no difference that they never find anything.  I roll my eyes.  Our hobby forums are our refuge from all this.  Internet forums are the one place the media/politicians don't control so they can't manipulate us.  It's a place that we can actually think on our own, be objective,  and come to realize that yes, Nikon really is better than Canon.

http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2018/01/22/switching-to-nikon-used-canon-gear-at-below-fire-sale-prices/

Kent in SD
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 06:38:45 pm by Two23 »
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2018, 06:58:57 pm »

Good one Ken, now that is a debate we can live with. Although Sony is the best.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2018, 07:19:22 pm »

AND, let's keep ALL the "participants" on an equal level, OK????

Kevin in CT
Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2018, 07:30:41 pm »

But Obama has a bigger one (lens)  ;)

Since when has Canon had a shutter release on the LHS?

Cheers,
Tom Brown

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2018, 07:45:29 pm »

This is a forum about photography and learning as well as sharing knowledge.  There are other places the talks about politics can take place.  The Coffee Corner was never meant to be a place for all the political banter.
Bravo!
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2018, 07:46:33 pm »

Since when has Canon had a shutter release on the LHS?

Cheers,
That's the special Canon Democrats model, with the shutter release on the far left.
Trump uses the conventional Republicans model with shutter release on the very far right.   :D
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up