Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Michigan Fireball  (Read 906 times)

Telecaster

Michigan Fireball
« on: January 22, 2018, 05:13:04 pm »

I heard and felt the shock blast from last Tuesday's meteoroid as it broke up in the atmosphere. Initially I thought a big tree branch might've landed on my house, but then after looking around and seeing nothing amiss I thought meteorites!

Folks have found some of 'em: http://www.skyandtelescope.com/astronomy-blogs/michigan-meteorite-tally-multiplies/

(The link may or may not work…Sky & Telescope seems to be having issues.)

-Dave-
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 12:05:24 am by Telecaster »

Peter McLennan

Re: Michigan Fireball
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 07:23:17 pm »

Mirrors my experience at home last fall.  An incredibly bright series of coloured flashes in total silence, followed by a windows-rattling blast about a minute later.  In bed at the time, I said to my wife, "That can only be a meteor".  Turns out, I was right.  Nearly as much fun as the eclipse!  :)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/university-calgary-researchers-meteorite-found-kootenay-1.4395368

Telecaster

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 11:58:35 pm »

Peter, after I looked online and found the source was actually a meteor(oid) I got excited for a moment and thought I should hop in the car and go exploring. But then I saw the apparent trajectory and realized the impact would be too far away. Besides, it was already dark.  ;D

-Dave-

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 12:06:34 pm »

Wow, that would be so exciting! Find of a lifetime.
-MattB

Peter McLennan

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 03:34:30 pm »

Astronomical events like that have a way of reminding us just how tiny we are.  The blast(s) I heard from that meteor thingie were twice as loud as any thunder I've heard and the light flashes exceeded any lighting. 

It really was, as they say, "awesome". I was lucky to be positioned so perfectly (in bed!) :)  to witness it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up