Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: L-brackets for A9/A7r3  (Read 16072 times)

shadowblade

L-brackets for A9/A7r3
« on: January 22, 2018, 05:12:20 am »

I've always used RRS plates and brackets on various cameras, up to and including the BA72-L on the A7r2. But, starting with the BA7R2 (also for the A7r2) they've gone for plates extending all the way across the grip, requiring the removal and reinstallation of the battery door and adding unnecessary weight and bulk. I can live with a few extra grams, but don't particularly like the idea of having to move the battery door off the camera and would prefer something that either didn't extend over the grip and battery door, or allowed the battery door to open through it.

Any experiences with the plates requiring the relocation of the battery door?

Does the BA72-L still fit the A7r3/A9, or is it too small and/or block the cable ports?

Any other L-brackets for the A7r3 worth recommending? They need to fit RRS lever clamps and not block access to the ports.

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
Re: L-brackets for A9/A7r3
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 02:58:26 pm »

I am using the Kirk one with no issues whatsoever.  Most of my other stuff is RRS.

shadowblade

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 03:29:02 pm »

I am using the Kirk one with no issues whatsoever.  Most of my other stuff is RRS.

Fits perfectly on the lever clamps? (I know some people use screw clamps, which fit everything)

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 04:13:48 pm »

My RRS L-Brackets work fine.  I can get into the vertical grip battery compartment without issue.  When I do remove the battery door on the body there is a place on the grip to store it.  I have both the a7r III and the a9.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

shadowblade

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 05:19:15 pm »

My RRS L-Brackets work fine.  I can get into the vertical grip battery compartment without issue.  When I do remove the battery door on the body there is a place on the grip to store it.  I have both the a7r III and the a9.

I don't use the grip - for the non-gripped body, you need to take off the battery door and reinstall it onto the base of the L-bracket. This seems like it may have implications for sealing.

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 08:45:25 pm »

Fits perfectly on the lever clamps? (I know some people use screw clamps, which fit everything)
Yes, no problem on my RRS panorama base with lever clamp.  No need to remove doors or anything.

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 02:12:36 am »

Does the BA72-L still fit the A7r3/A9, or is it too small and/or block the cable ports?

Any other L-brackets for the A7r3 worth recommending? They need to fit RRS lever clamps and not block access to the ports.

No, you can’t use a bracket for the A7x II series with A9/A7R3, body is bigger and the plates will not fit.

I’m using the sunwayfoto l-bracket with my A7 II and quite happy with it. It does not block battery door and I can still use micro hdmi, micro usb, and audio ports without removing the bracket when I shoot video... but not sure if they made an L-Bracket for A9 or A7R3.

http://dgpfotografia.com

shadowblade

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 11:10:49 pm »

Yes, no problem on my RRS panorama base with lever clamp.  No need to remove doors or anything.

Just one more question about the Kirk plate - when using it in a vertical orientation, is there room to have cables plugged into the camera at the same time (e.g. remote release) or is there insufficient space for that?

I pulled the trigger on the A7r3 today - 15% off at a local store, which brought the price down lower than buying it overseas or ordering online (even after taking Australian GST and import duties into account). Got it mounted on an old RRS 5D2 bracket at the moment, but I'll need to order one that fits properly.

the_luminous_french

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2018, 03:54:01 am »

I really like RRS... but ordering from france, it cost 3 times more than SUNWAYFOTO PSL-a7RIII Custom L-bracket for Sony A7RIII and Sony A9 Model One-piece design...

Not bad for the price !

andre_m

• andré muehling
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2018, 07:45:57 am »

In the past (Canon Eos 1Ds) I purchased RRS parts from US, now I get them from a german online store.
augenblicke-eingefangen

___________________________________________________________________________________________
andré_m

the_luminous_french

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2018, 08:33:18 am »

In the past (Canon Eos 1Ds) I purchased RRS parts from US, now I get them from a german online store.
augenblicke-eingefangen

___________________________________________________________________________________________
andré_m

Thanks !
Still not on the cheap size... but looks great !

For now, i will stick with my sunwayphoto bought 60 dollars via aliexpress... perhaps i will order the RRS later (more room for the cable )

andre_m

• andré muehling
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2018, 10:27:55 am »

I forgot its not really cheap, but you don't have to pay so much for shipping and there are no additional taxes within Europe.

andré_m

thill1111

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2018, 12:26:05 pm »

I don't use the grip - for the non-gripped body, you need to take off the battery door and reinstall it onto the base of the L-bracket. This seems like it may have implications for sealing.

The surprising thing to me about the battery door sealing is that you can see through gaps in the area around the plastic part that you remove if you're using an adapter even if it is not removed. Plainly visible on A7r2 and A7R3.  I noticed this when putting the battery door on the RRS plate for A7R3.  Not sure that the need to put the door on the plate makes it any worse for sealing given that the door is already porous.  The sealing on the plate itself is foam which conceivably works as well as the foam on the door itself.

JayWPage

• Jay W Page Photography
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2018, 08:57:23 pm »

I have the RRS base mounted on my A7RIII and to seal the battery area better I have cut a piece of neoprene foam to just a bit bigger than the bottom of the battery. When pushed into the gap, it appears to seal fairly well, at least for dust. It fits so tight in fact that it's hard to get it out without using tweezers. I'll maybe add a loop of thread to help with removal. This might help if you are going to be photographing in a dusty environment, i.e. a desert.

As far as the gadget around the battery door on the A7RIII offering any degree of waterproofness, well it doesn't, regardless of whether the door is on the camera or the RRS base plate. And maybe that's a good thing, the A7RIII body can be barely described as even slightly weatherproof. I think the 'leaky" battery door is let the water out that has leaked in through the top of the camera.  :D

Take a look at this water test on the Imaging Resource website: https://www.imaging-resource.com/articles/2017-weather-testing-nikon-d850-vs-sony-a7riii-canon-5div-olympus-e-m1II

So don't even think of using the A7RIII in the rain without adequate protection.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 09:00:46 pm by JayWPage »
Jay W Page

shadowblade

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2018, 10:40:50 pm »

I don't know why they don't fully weather-seal their bodies (mind you, Leica doesn't either). Gaskets weigh grams and cost cents.

Not that I ever had problems shooting in sandstorms, heavy rain, fog or snow with the A7r or A7r2. But full sealing would be an added insurance policy against the weather.

JayWPage

• Jay W Page Photography
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2018, 11:03:40 pm »

It was kind of depressing to watch the Imaging Resources video and realize that the Sony was the worst of the lot.

Sony described the A7RIII as having improved weatherproofing over earlier models, but as it turns out that doesn't seem to mean a lot.

Anyway, I'm glad I found out about the lack of waterproofing in this camera before I tried using it in wet conditions.
Jay W Page

SrMi

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2018, 11:29:39 pm »

I don't know why they don't fully weather-seal their bodies (mind you, Leica doesn't either). Gaskets weigh grams and cost cents.

Not that I ever had problems shooting in sandstorms, heavy rain, fog or snow with the A7r or A7r2. But full sealing would be an added insurance policy against the weather.

Leica SL and lenses are weather sealed (pictures)
Pages: [1]   Go Up