Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Airline Travel Tripod  (Read 50256 times)

rgs

• Richard Smith Photography
Airline Travel Tripod
« on: January 21, 2018, 08:53:15 pm »

My long time tripod is a Manfrotto Pro55B mounted with a large Sirui ball head. In fact I've had it so long it has both the Manfrotto and the Bogan model numbers on it. It's my second of this series, the first (a Bogan pre-Manfrotto) was broken when a horse decided to mash it between a tree and my leg. I also have a wonderfully solid and quite heavy mahogany and paduk one that I used to use with my view camera.

But the Manfrotto is really difficult to fly with. I would like to find a smaller (but still solid) tripod that would fit in suitcase and could be used for travel. It would also be handy if one of the legs could be detached to serve as a monopod. Some of the Siruis do that but I don't know if others do. I would like CF but aluminum will do. I would like to spend no more than about $300. I plan to put a geared head on the Manfrotto and move the ball head to the new tripod.

My local camera store only stocks Manfrotto and their store brand so it's difficult to get hands on with other tripods. Failing that, maybe you folks can make suggestions for me to look into. Thanks.

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
Re: Airline Travel Tripod
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 09:39:40 pm »

I use a Three Legged Thingy tripod.   I have a YouTube Video at.  https://youtu.be/camC_jWM_-s

I now have two of these and it’s great and firs in my carry on bag.  Check it out.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

stever

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 10:34:40 pm »

i am extremely happy with the Sirui 4-section tripod for travel - there really isn't anything else that is as light, compact and stiff (i don't think the 5-section is worth considering).  However it's a very light tripod and i always use remote or timed release, and as with any light tripod it's pretty useless in the wind even when weighted.  Also not for the tall.

the included ball head works if you use a nodal rail to balance the camera & lens (good for overall stability as well) but again, any other reasonably light ballhead will have creep and control problems with an off-balance camera

stever

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 10:49:44 pm »

there are a few tripods about half again as heavy as the Sirui with a significant increase in rigidity.  i used to travel with a Feisol 3441 which is also a well-made tripod, and probably a better choice for regular rather than occasional use although i think it also requires timer or remote release and some attention to balancing the camera for best results.

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 10:55:50 pm »

I'm travelling to Hong Kong (stopovers) then Italy for six weeks in total travel. I just want one carry-on travel bag. No camera backpacks or added gear.

My Manfrotto tripod with Arca-Swiss PO ballhead fits the bill.

But, hey my photography is now limited to posting online.

Cheers,
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 10:59:19 pm by tom b »
Tom Brown

jeremyrh

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 01:36:39 am »

I was wondering if you ever have a problem with tripods being refused carriage in the cabin, on account of the potential for using it to bonk the pilot on the head, or other terrorist-type activity?  I am sort of loath to turn up at the gate with hundreds of $$$ of carbon fibre loveliness only to be forced to put it in the hold :-(

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 02:15:48 am »

In Sydney they confiscated my toothpaste. Back in the day I could walk through borders with a knife in my camera bag.

Cheers,
Tom Brown

armand

• Photos
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 10:23:55 am »

I was wondering if you ever have a problem with tripods being refused carriage in the cabin, on account of the potential for using it to bonk the pilot on the head, or other terrorist-type activity?  I am sort of loath to turn up at the gate with hundreds of $$$ of carbon fibre loveliness only to be forced to put it in the hold :-(

I take the ballhead out to avoid this implication, so far it worked.

qwz

• http://vassiliev.net
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 02:48:45 pm »

I have Sirui W-2204 and can recommend it for relatively light and compact solution with integrated monopod.
I used it with Sony a7 series cameras and sub-kilo lenses (like 24mm TS-Em sometimes short-teles 70-300 etc.).
For Pentax 67 is not as sturdy (with 55-100) but ok with 55, 100 and 200 primes.

Although i can only strongly disbelieve if you say that today is possible to take such stuff into cabin luggage.

rgs

• Richard Smith Photography
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2018, 03:15:29 pm »

Although i can only strongly disbelieve if you say that today is possible to take such stuff into cabin luggage.

Thanks. And thanks to everyone for their input. It is very helpful.

qwz, I am not thinking of taking the tripod as cabin luggage. My backpack is full of cameras, and lenses, ect, and there is no room for a tripod. My thought is more along the lines of put it in a suitcase (along with clothes) to take as checked luggage. Beats having to ship my manfrotto ahead or rent locally or do without.

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2018, 03:27:52 pm »

I'm using a MeFoto Globetrotter Carbon Fiber (not the Air version) for that mission.

sc_john

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2018, 06:02:06 pm »

I'm using a MeFoto Globetrotter Carbon Fiber (not the Air version) for that mission.

Have used this tripod at full extension, or do you tend to use it at shorter heights? Thanks.

John

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2018, 08:41:36 pm »

Have used this tripod at full extension, or do you tend to use it at shorter heights? Thanks.

John

I have, even with long exposures.  This entire page was done with it and a Sony a7R II.  I know that internet photos don't really show sharpness but they are very sharp - click on Marina Bay and Gardens By The Bay for the longer exposure stuff...
http://www.ejphoto.com/singapore_page.htm

Of course it's not perfect but it's good for what it does.  It takes some getting used to after working with my Gitzo's and RRS large tripods but I have confidence in it for travel, especially weight and/or size restricted travel.

Here's another page completely shot with that tripod, click through to the different areas:
http://www.ejphoto.com/mississippi_page.htm

armand

• Photos
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2018, 10:10:21 pm »

So far so good, I took a Sirui 1205 carbon fiber in the carry-on multiple times, with the head off (still in the carry-on though) and I had no comments. Now this particular tripod is likely too flimsy for OP's needs. Last I did this was in the last couple of years or so.
The longer tripods I take in the checked luggage.

Two23

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2018, 11:04:14 pm »

Nothing delicate about a tripod.  Look for a used one and save big $$.  I have a Feisol 3441T for what you're doing.  I use camera gear up to a Nikon D800E + Nikon 80-400mm AFS or a Chamonix 4x5 on it with no problem.  Very light, compact, solid. 

Kent in SD
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.

Schmoe

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2018, 05:09:39 pm »

I have the RRS TVC-33S and BH-55 ballhead. There’s no way I’d feel comfortable checking this equipment in, so I searched around for a bag that would fit this not-small setup. Finally found a soft-shell Eagle Creek roller carryon that it would fit into if I took the head off. So, camera gear goes into a backpack that can fit under the seat, and tripod + clothes and such go in the carryon. This system has worked well for me.  And to answer a previous question, I’ve never had even the slightest attention paid to my tripod going through airport security. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

philbond87

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2018, 08:35:05 pm »

Yes. Coming out of Taipei a few years ago.
I don't recall the numbers cited but I was threatened with confiscation of a travel tripod because exceeded some length. That length was quite short, by the way, as the legs actually fit in my carry-on suitcase.

I believe that tripod was a Manfrotto 190B.
I've done a lot of testing on small tripods (tripods of all sizes, really) and finally settled on a small Gitzo (the model eludes me right now). It's an excellent balance of size, weight and vibration dissipation/suppression.

hogloff

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2018, 09:11:23 am »

Yes. Coming out of Taipei a few years ago.
I don't recall the numbers cited but I was threatened with confiscation of a travel tripod because exceeded some length. That length was quite short, by the way, as the legs actually fit in my carry-on suitcase.

I believe that tripod was a Manfrotto 190B.
I've done a lot of testing on small tripods (tripods of all sizes, really) and finally settled on a small Gitzo (the model eludes me right now). It's an excellent balance of size, weight and vibration dissipation/suppression.

Yes Taipei has those restrictions when going through security. I believe it is 17". They have a display case showing items that were confiscated and there are tripods in the display case.

I travel a lot and always put my tripod into my check baggage. Never had an issue.

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2018, 09:18:36 am »

My carbon fibre Gitzo Explorer with Arca Swiss P0 head are constant companions in my checked baggage. Great combination for travelling, so adaptable.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 09:38:11 am by KLaban »

GuyPhoto

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2018, 03:13:57 pm »

I always put my travel tripod in checked baggage. Tripods made for travel fold down to 15" or so, weigh 4 lbs or less, and are plenty protected by my clothes. I haven't ever heard of anyone getting one stolen from baggage, but I'm sure it has happened.

I have used MeFoto and 3LT travel tripods. A travel tripod is never going to match up to one's "regular" tripod, but I found using one a good opportunity to bone up on tripod technique, one of the most neglected camera skills. Being careful to use the proper feet (spiked or rubber) for the terrain, choosing a good, solid spot to set up, mounting the camera correctly (I see so many people who neglect to have the lens extension over a leg), making sure all the knobs are tight, using a remote release or timer, detaching the dangling strap, shielding from the wind or adding weight, and waiting for vibrations to stop - all these have more impact on your final shot than having the ritziest tripod. Any tripod is better than the alternative.

Taking my travel pod out on a shoot before the trip makes operating it smoother on the trip.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up