Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Should I upgrade?  (Read 1276 times)

rasworth

Should I upgrade?
« on: January 20, 2018, 12:56:26 pm »

I began providing color management services in 2003, using a 1st generation i1Pro Normal and ProfileMaker.  When XRite bought GretagMacbeth they upgraded my ProfileMaker dongle so that all the Publish functions of i1Profiler are enabled, regardless of the instrument.  I now have 2nd generation i1Pro Normal and i1Pro Cut spectros - my workflow is simple, I use the Normal for OBA free papers, and the Cut if OBAs are present.  I no longer use the equipment professionally, just for my own profiles and a couple of friends.  I have added an i1 Display Pro 2 for monitor calibration/profiling.

So my question is should I upgrade to the i1Pro 2?  I understand the functional differences, just don't have a good idea of how much improvement I can expect.  I'm generally satisfied with my present profiles, but it may be a case of ignorance is bliss.  I did note the increased patch density, can print my favorite 1215 patch target on 2 8.5x11 sheets instead of 3.  The best deal I find is $1275 (B&H) for the i1 Pro 2 Photo bundle, doesn't appear I can purchase just the hardware component.

Richard Southworth

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Should I upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 12:59:12 pm »

Since you have two units (on UV one not), I don't see the money well spent for the newer Spectrophotometer. Certainly if you don't mind using the two for one target (or deciding which prior).
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Doug Gray

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 02:41:23 pm »

I began providing color management services in 2003, using a 1st generation i1Pro Normal and ProfileMaker.  When XRite bought GretagMacbeth they upgraded my ProfileMaker dongle so that all the Publish functions of i1Profiler are enabled, regardless of the instrument.  I now have 2nd generation i1Pro Normal and i1Pro Cut spectros - my workflow is simple, I use the Normal for OBA free papers, and the Cut if OBAs are present.  I no longer use the equipment professionally, just for my own profiles and a couple of friends.  I have added an i1 Display Pro 2 for monitor calibration/profiling.

So my question is should I upgrade to the i1Pro 2?  I understand the functional differences, just don't have a good idea of how much improvement I can expect.  I'm generally satisfied with my present profiles, but it may be a case of ignorance is bliss.  I did note the increased patch density, can print my favorite 1215 patch target on 2 8.5x11 sheets instead of 3.  The best deal I find is $1275 (B&H) for the i1 Pro 2 Photo bundle, doesn't appear I can purchase just the hardware component.

Richard Southworth

I did almost exactly what you did! Interestingly, my PM5 dongle also worked with I1Profiler so PM5 dongle users should be able to download and install / run it with your older spectros. I did later add an I1Pro 2 and iSis. Each spectro is different but the I1Pro 2 is significantly closer to the iSiS than the older spectros. However, the differences between profiles created with each using I1Profiler is only marginally perceptible so don't expect that an upgrade will make major differences.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 03:52:15 pm by Doug Gray »

rasworth

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 03:52:32 pm »

Thanks to both of you for your opinions.

I do use i1Profiler with my two i1Pro's.

Richard Southworth
Pages: [1]   Go Up