Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Putting "Printer Manages Color" under Color Management  (Read 1222 times)

Doug Gray

Re: Putting "Printer Manages Color" under Color Management
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2018, 08:45:10 PM »

How many photographers other than Ctein argue that prints turn out better under printer-managed color than under application-manged color?  I understand some people are happy with the results they get when they turn over control to their printers, but unless you believe you're better off that way, this approach seems to me more complicated than setting up a color-managed application workflow.  (Which ain't that complicated, wot?)

This, I think, is the essential point.  From my perspective, there's more to soft-proofing than getting the colors right.  When you transfer an image from a high-dynamic-range transmissive computer display to a low-dynamic-range reflective medium like paper, adjustments other than color accuracy may be required to make it look the way you want.  At least, that's been my experience, printing from Lightroom and using the simulate paper and ink option to see the effect of the migration between media.

Can't say I disagree. I view "Printer Manages defaults" as a printer/paper specific perceptual mode with the disadvantage that you can's soft proof it nor tell exactly what you get. The process I outlined provides a way to process the image such that, when printed in colorimetric mode, it replicates the specific printer managed rendering. And you can do that with any other printer/paper combination so long as the gamut is at least as broad as the original printer. It wouldn't work, for instance, going from glossy to matte unless the original image print was within the matte gamut.  It's a way to preserve the ability to make the same prints when upgrading printers.

Mostly, it was just an academic exercise of little use for 99% of people. Also, most of the few that prefer to use printer manages color probably don't have the tools required.

I do find it curious that the two printers have pretty different prints. One expands sRGB into more saturated areas, the other does the inverse. And both increase luminance. The 9500 bumps it a really large amount. Weird.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up