Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any difference??  (Read 1021 times)

framah

Any difference??
« on: January 18, 2018, 11:11:40 am »

Have you  seen any difference in the quaity of printing between having PS manage or having the printer manage colors?

Is there enough to prefer one over the other?
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

I.T. Supplies

Re: Any difference??
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 11:39:51 am »

This really depends on the person doing the print or the client that is getting it.  PS managing colors offers the profile option which either the manufacturer created or having a custom profile for the paper itself to match the closest to what you see on screen.

If you don't let the software manage the colors, you won't have the ability to link a profile to the image which than gives the printer the ability to match it as close as it can.

However, this can always differ as well if you don't have the monitor and/or printer calibrated to match the colors the best the hardware is able to.  So, different factors, but it really depends on whose doing it and if they like or dislike the output from certain settings.  Some may see a major difference and others, not so much.

Smoothjazz

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 12:06:25 pm »

What you want to do is look at some of Mark Segal's articles on this forum- he is our resident print expert. There is one article from Oct., 2017 on "Printer Manages Colour" that addresses this well. Also look at his most recent December article; "Printing with Image Print 10"- I have this software now, and it has helped my printing a great deal. I don't think I will use printer manages color routinely anymore- it is that much better with the Image Print.

framah

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 12:36:28 pm »

Atlex...
So, if I am printing for my artist and as long as i am matching his original, we're good.

If, tho the artists wants to take that file and have someone else print it, there is no guarantee it will match due to it not having a specific profile attached to the file.  Correct??

My problem is that I have a new Canon Pro-4000 and for some reason it doesn't like the files when I choose PS to manage colors. It will print if I allow the printer to manage colors.

At this point, it seems that the fact that I'm in SC4, it's too old for the printer nor will it print from my old LR 2 or LR3.

It will print from Preview.
My problem is that to upgrade the PSCS, I'll need to go to the cloud for $20/ month forever.

I'd really rather not do that if at all possible and just go ahead and allow the printer to manage the process.
Plus, I'm also at the point where I might need to upgrade my computer just to get to the High Sierra OS.  Again, rather not. I only have a couple more years doing this stuff and do not want to put out a buttload of money if I don't have to.

"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 04:37:41 pm »

My problem is that to upgrade the PSCS, I'll need to go to the cloud for $20/ month forever.

The photographers plan is for photoshop and lightroom (even if you don’t need it).  It’s $10 a month and has been for a long time (since it was introduced years ago).

I’m not sure why anyone would pay for the single plan Photoshop.

Ferp

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 04:52:14 pm »

The printer managed colors workflow got a fair bit of publicity a couple of years ago when C'tein infamously advocated it.  There's several thread here that discussed his findings.  It's worth reading.  This post contains what I regard as the definitive statement on his results and more generally:

http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=104307.msg857415#msg857415

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 05:13:31 pm »

If Photoshop doesn't let you do a profile option if it manages colors, use the Canon Print Studio Pro plug-in that Canon offers via their site for free and it should provide most basic features upfront as well as a profile.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/professional-large-format-printers/professional-photo-fine-art/imageprograf-pro-4000/imageprograf-pro-4000/!ut/p/z1/jZDBbsIwDIafhQeIHLWso8dShtqpYSob0OUy-ZCESG0SpdEOPD0Z2mVDFHyz9f32_xs4dMANfmuFQVuDfew_efbF2mpR1SVt3tbJCy3Yx75haZ3SbQaHC0BvVEGBP6KfAPj0-td7B2KCxLOSKeAOw5FoIy10zlspxvESkvTolSDS-gEDcV6bIPz4j3FHGyyR2giCPkCnB1QiEsqjjBpL5tHPrfEB-F-bdJs_0yJbZVW-WdK6fboC9st5BPJVmSbrn6i_wMQn3LDrTk0h32s1OwOog3f6/drivers_downloads_tab?subtab=downloads-software

We've had some customers that went through similar situations and Canon (or per our suggestion) mentioned to try their plug-in and it helped.  If it doesn't help still, at least you tried and narrowed down options and the plug-in is free.

You can see how the colors come out if you let the printer manage, but since it doesn't use manufacturer profiles (is basic), it may not provide the best output.  Again, this is also user preference or if the client likes it either way.
Pages: [1]   Go Up