Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: System for hanging unframed prints  (Read 2785 times)

Schmoe

System for hanging unframed prints
« on: January 17, 2018, 12:25:18 pm »

Hi there, as I'm getting more into printing I'm starting to churn out a lot of prints for my family and I to enjoy.  At the rate I'm going, I don't really want to matte and frame all these prints, but I do want a way to display them on our wall in a non-permanent way, such that I can easily swap prints in and out as the space fills up.  Are you aware of any good system of doing this? 

The best thing I've come up with so far is IKEA's DIGNITET wire curtain system.  I was thinking I could pair this with some standard binder clips to hang them from the wire, and if need be, maybe some binding bars to add some weight and rigidity to the bottom of the print.  It's not an elegant solution, but it might work well enough. :)  My one concern with this approach is how far separated from the wall the print would be.  I would prefer them to be a bit more flush if possible.

If there are other ways to tackle this, please share!

Many thanks,
Joe

framah

Re: System for hanging unframed prints
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 01:40:52 pm »

Try this: ;D

"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

framah

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 01:42:30 pm »

or better yet, this:

"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

Schmoe

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 01:45:30 pm »

or better yet, this:

lol. too low-tech for me. :P I probably should have mentioned I'd like to avoid a wall riddled with holes.

henrikolsen

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 02:35:11 pm »

You could consider some "velcro bombs". I'm soon about to try it out, having ordered a bunch. It's self adhesive round velcro sets. The idea is that images of standard sizes could be put on smooth(ish) walls and cabinets, either foam mounted or just the paper. Then they could be rotated every so often.

What about stickytack?

stockjock

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 02:36:29 pm »

I am a big fan of sliding check racks for temporary display.  I am attaching an image. 

If you are looking for something a little nicer but still quite cheap and easy then I would suggest the Belmont Frames that you can get from Michaels.com.  They have a range of standard sizes and prices are very low.  16x20" is only $10 and occasionally they can be had for less.  They don't have real glass but I prefer to hang my pics without glazing anyhow.  Use good brass picture hangers and the tiny hole in the wall will be barely noticeable and easily fixed if you remove the frames.  The frames are probably light enough to be used with the 3M Command velcro strips which are completely removable but I imagine it would be hard to get them level.

http://www.michaels.com/white-belmont-frame-by-studio-decor/M10392845.html?dwvar_M10392845_color=White

https://www.amazon.com/Plaster-Picture-Hangers-lbs-Solutions/dp/B074VN3NKF/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1516217626&sr=8-5&keywords=brass+picture+hangers

Schmoe

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 03:54:55 pm »

You could consider some "velcro bombs". I'm soon about to try it out, having ordered a bunch. It's self adhesive round velcro sets. The idea is that images of standard sizes could be put on smooth(ish) walls and cabinets, either foam mounted or just the paper. Then they could be rotated every so often.

What about stickytack?

Thanks for the ideas.  I think in my mind I had hoped that I could do this in such a way that I don't have to alter the print in any way (e.g. like sticking Velcro to it).  That said, I'm now thinking that larger prints probably won't hang flat enough unless they have some backing, so I'm starting to rethink my plan here.  In which case, maybe the Velcro approach would fit my needs assuming I find some easy, temporary, way to affix a print to some kind of backing.

I am a big fan of sliding check racks for temporary display.  I am attaching an image. 

If you are looking for something a little nicer but still quite cheap and easy then I would suggest the Belmont Frames that you can get from Michaels.com.  They have a range of standard sizes and prices are very low.  16x20" is only $10 and occasionally they can be had for less.  They don't have real glass but I prefer to hang my pics without glazing anyhow.  Use good brass picture hangers and the tiny hole in the wall will be barely noticeable and easily fixed if you remove the frames.  The frames are probably light enough to be used with the 3M Command velcro strips which are completely removable but I imagine it would be hard to get them level.

That sliding check rack is pretty ingenious!  Thanks for the tip.  The Belmont frames look similar to an IKEA product I've used in the past.  Not a huge fan, in part because many sizes don't match paper sizes, and I don't want to deal with cutting prints.  But they are super lightweight and can easily be hung with Velcro.  Can't speak for Belmont, but the plastic cover on the IKEA product scratches *super* easy, which is another reason I'm not a big fan.

rdonson

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 06:02:46 pm »

Regards,
Ron

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2018, 06:16:27 pm »

Check out: https://www.wearewellmade.com/shop/stiicks for very nice wooden frame-free hanging.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 06:24:26 pm »

By unframed do you also mean unmounted?
I would never hang up a print unmounted. It just looks like you have not finished it.
I mount them on foam board and use stick on hooks to hang them by normal gallery track systems.
If they are for sale you can shrink wrap them and stick the hooks on the back of that.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Schmoe

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2018, 06:48:40 pm »

https://posterhanger.com/

Check out: https://www.wearewellmade.com/shop/stiicks for very nice wooden frame-free hanging.

Thanks, you two.  I realized after rdonson's post that there are lots of variations on this idea that show up on Amazon, including the magnet approach.  Very interesting.

By unframed do you also mean unmounted?
I would never hang up a print unmounted. It just looks like you have not finished it.
I mount them on foam board and use stick on hooks to hang them by normal gallery track systems.
If they are for sale you can shrink wrap them and stick the hooks on the back of that.

Yes, I did originally mean unmounted, though my thinking has been evolving as I start to realize that free-hanging prints, especially large ones, may not look so good.  The poster hanger idea mentioned by rdonson and luxborealis seems like a viable path.  Otherwise, yeah, I think I'd have to mount it onto something.  Err, is mounting onto foam board a complicated process?...

samueljohnchia

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2018, 08:04:10 pm »

How about magnetic paint with some elegant neodymium magnets?

samueljohnchia

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2018, 08:08:40 pm »

Cheap and beautiful. You can get the magnets from Ebay, free shipping from China, all sorts of sizes: https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-100Pcs-Super-Strong-Round-Disc-10x1mm-10x2mm-Magnets-Rare-Earth-Neodymium-N35/282388785539?hash=item41bfaee983:m:mgyvXNxl_HL69Z710h-8E4g

For bigger prints, put a few more magnets along the edges to prevent bowing and warping. Nondescript and neutral presentation that is easy to swap out anytime, and you can cover the whole wall or part of it as you wish.

I haven't tested it yet but it may be that you can paint over the magnetic paint (which is black) to get whatever wall color you desire, and the magnetic force will still be strong enough to hold up a print, or maybe not!

Schmoe

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2018, 11:11:22 pm »

Whoa! I didn’t know such a thing existed. Very interesting. From this site ( https://www.kjmagnetics.com/blog.asp?p=magnetic-paint) it sounds like you’d need a lot of coats for it to work effectively with heavy paper. Also it looks like you can indeed paint over it, but it does reduce magnetic strength.  Thanks for the tip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pages: [1]   Go Up